mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Powdercoat suggestions in Asheville

Anyone had a frame done in Asheville? What kind of turnaround time did you experience?

Thanks in advance.

Big Mac
    I have not dealt with them personally, but rumor has it that PowderTek does a good job.

"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
    Quote Originally Posted by slackHA View Post
    Anyone had a frame done in Asheville? What kind of turnaround time did you experience?

Thanks in advance.
    I have had two frames done with PowderTek. The first frame had some issues and they gladly corrected the problem. The second frame was done much better. It was about 7-10 days for each. I also had some metal chairs powder coated and they did a GREAT job with those.

Overall, I would say they do decent work on bike frames. If the frame is very special and you want A++++ you need to look at shipping to Spectrum.
    "Big Gulps huh?...Allllriggghhht....Welp, See ya later!"

When did you get here?!?!
    I also used PowderTek for non-cycling related purposes, I have a front porch gate that was PC'd by them and the quality is great. They had a frame or two on the walls when I picked it up and they looked pretty good.
    However, I have two frames that were PC'd by Spectrum and the quality is superb. As KK pointed out, if the frame is something special (or if you want detail) go with spectrum.
    You can please some people sometimes but you can't please all the people all the time.
    ERIC'S RIDE LOG

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by pisgahproductions View Post
    I also used PowderTek for non-cycling related purposes, I have a front porch gate that was PC'd by them and the quality is great. They had a frame or two on the walls when I picked it up and they looked pretty good.
    However, I have two frames that were PC'd by Spectrum and the quality is superb. As KK pointed out, if the frame is something special (or if you want detail) go with spectrum.
    Thanks for the responses.

I really wanted to a support local business, but if PowderTek is just so-so I may wind up having to ship it off.

I'm kinda in the same boat on wheels at the moment, want to buy a set of I9s to finish the project but $1250 for a set is a little beyond my desire to support a local business. I can build an ultra bling set of Kings for under $800 and buy a 2 1/2 sets of Stan's for the cost of I9s. Please convince me where I'm wrong in my thinking.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by slackHA View Post
    I'm kinda in the same boat on wheels at the moment, want to buy a set of I9s to finish the project but $1250 for a set is a little beyond my desire to support a local business. I can build an ultra bling set of Kings for under $800 and buy a 2 1/2 sets of Stan's for the cost of I9s. Please convince me where I'm wrong in my thinking.
    Don't know which shop this is in Brevard, but I saw these on craigslist this morning. Maybe one fits the project.
    Industry Nine Wheelsets! New

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by leadfoot321 View Post
    Don't know which shop this is in Brevard, but I saw these on craigslist this morning. Maybe one fits the project.
    Industry Nine Wheelsets! New
    I saw those. (thanks anyways)
    I want a custom color combo for this project... Blue hubs/Silver spokes.

mtbr member
    PowderTek is hit or miss.

I use C4 Labs in WIlmington, DE. I can't afford them, but can't afford to NOT use them.

C4 Labs Custom Powdercoating

Spectrum's pricing is horrendous, and some 'powder' jobs have wet paint clearcoats....
    I am ByStickel
    ByStickel Facebook Please take a look.

Big Mac
    Anyone ever dealt with Asheville Paint and Powder coating? Littles?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I have found that the quality of the powder used and the prep work matter a lot more than who does the job. Most guns have to hold more than the amount of powder for a bike frame, so there is going to be a minimum charge for any custom powder selection. But a few bucks spent here to specify something nice should make a difference.

I have had several full suspension frames down by Cape Fear Custom Powder coating in Wilmington NC. One was basic white, coated 5 years ago for $75, although this was just a front triangle. It is just not starting to show some cable rub. An additional clear coat would have solved that, but I was being cheap.

I do not recommend Spectrum unless you have an inside line on a deal there. Its just too expensive. Go to any powder shop and offer that kind of money and they will put their top guy on it for 3 hours. If you just ask how much for a bike frame they may assume that a $300 estimate would send you out the door.

mtbr member
    Kings aren't as adaptable or easily serviceable and No Tubes factory wheels are junk...

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by SketchyD View Post
    Kings aren't as adaptable or easily serviceable and No Tubes factory wheels are junk...
    What part of Kings aren't adaptable?

NoTubes wheels are junk? Really? The reviews and my personal experience with them has been great.

Gabe.....
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    Anyone ever dealt with Asheville Paint and Powder coating? Littles?
    Keep it local!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Powdercoat suggestions in Asheville-dsc07704.jpg  

Last edited by Smokebikes; 10-24-2013 at 06:57 AM. Reason: Drain-bramage from too much paint fumes......
    "Roll your own..........." http://smokebikes.com/

"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
    Been riding my Kings for 4+ years and only needed 2 5mm allens for service. Oh and when I went from 9mm QR to 15mm thru axle that was no problem.
    "Big Gulps huh?...Allllriggghhht....Welp, See ya later!"

banjo plunker, wrench
    You may want to try Powder River Technologies in Newton, N.C. I've had several friends use them with great results. (828)-465-2894 Talk to Jeff Sigmon. Hope they can do the job for you!
    any time spent riding a bicycle is re-cycled goodness....

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Do you work at Industry Nine?