Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Post-Turkey day ride and hike at Dupont 11-24-2006

What happens when the Tomato's birthday falls on a day off from work? He get's all of his friends together and they RIDE!

When: 11/24/2006 10:00am
    Where: Dupont State Forest (Fawn Lake Access)
    Why? Because we love to ride and enjoy the forest!
    Hint: Since the Conservation road is still closed it might be a good idea to bring an extra pair of socks for walking through the stream!

If you haven't been on a Tomato ride through Dupont, what are you waiting for? I have a couple different groups already committed to this thing. So this is a good chance for everyone to come out. We will probably do a few different rides/groups/routes for selected skill levels and distance. This is a co-ed opportunity as well. So if you have a significant other that likes to ride but doesn't like waiting on you bring them out!

As always my partner in crime will be with me leading a hike. So if you have hiking friends tell them to tag along as well.

As long as the weather is decent, we will be doing a picnic tailgate afterwards as well.

Side note: I am looking to do a Death March through pisgah that weekend as well. I am thinking Sunday. I will probably start another thread for that one.

Peace!
    BS'ing less, riding more.

Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

mtbr member

mtbr member
    If my fat @$$ doesn't eat to much turkey I'm in.
    [SIZE=5][/SIZE]

Go Hokies!
    Feb 2006

Count me in

Probably for both.

Freeride Pabstist Church
    Jan 2006
    Some FYI, rifle season for Bambi opens the Monday before T-giving. That Friday and Saturday will be the first two days for those folks in DuPont. You may want to keep that in mind as you mosey about in the woods. I'd suggest leaving Fido at home.

DuPont only allows hunting on Fridays and Saturdays during an open season. Permits for there are done on a lottery basis.

pb

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pisgahboy
    Some FYI, rifle season for Bambi opens the Monday before T-giving. That Friday and Saturday will be the first two days for those folks in DuPont. You may want to keep that in mind as you mosey about in the woods. I'd suggest leaving Fido at home.

DuPont only allows hunting on Fridays and Saturdays during an open season. Permits for there are done on a lottery basis.

pb
    Thanks for the heads up. . .

Yes that could be bad. Hopefully we will be en masse and making enough noise to alleviate the following . . .

Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

mtbr member
    I'll be there

mtbr member

Bump

I am bumping this bad boy back up to the top so its not lost.

I am really starting to wish the conservation road was still open. I am not sure how to make this ride long enough/short enough without it. Maybe we can try a totally new route that encompasses Pinnacle road.

I will work on it.

Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

Go Hokies!
    Feb 2006

Conservation Road

The Conservation Road closing stinks. You used be able to park anywhere and get a good ride in, now you really have to plan ahead. Rides seem to be able to be short (10-12 miles) or really long.

Lets hope they get that worked out soon.

mtbr member
    I think Pinnacle Mountain road will be our new Coservation road. We can at the very least connect the Southeast and Northeast sections of the park.

What I am thinking is that we can go the direction we did for "dupont epic" down Johanna road. Go do the cool loops in the north section (jim branch, hickory mountain, ridgeline) and then bring Pinnacle Mountain road back to Turkey Knob. This way we don't have to climb Johanna and we can still add some extra miles. I am going to study it to see if it is feasible. Who knows, maybe this ride will be the best one yet.

Pisgah Productions is working with me to hash out the details for Sunday (26th) ride. I think we might be headed to Black Mountain to do some heartbreak Kitszuma action. Hashing that out now as well.

Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

Trail Liberator

dupont ride

Dont forget to throw in rocky ridge. I am going to try and make it to dupont, to ride with you guys. T.C.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tcstoned
    Dont forget to throw in rocky ridge. I am going to try and make it to dupont, to ride with you guys. T.C.
    I have never ridden rocky ridge. After a quick looksie at the map, it looks feasible to add this in while headed back to Pinnacle.

I still have some "planning" I need to do for this route. I will try and post what I think will be a good route up here sometime soon. That way everybody can chime in with their thoughts.

Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

mtbr member
    Sorry Tomato, I'm gonna have to back out of this trip. Just got a new job and I am going to have to work the day after Thanksgiving. Ya'll have fun.
    [SIZE=5][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    extrmao,

I was planning a ride to DuPont. I was going to post something for a ride on the 25th but Friday will work too. How many miles do you plan to ride? If you don't mind a new guy
    Last edited by datman; 11-15-2006 at 05:11 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by datman
    extrmao,

I was planning a ride to DuPont. I was going to post something for a ride on the 25th but Friday will work too. How many miles do you plan to ride? If you don't mind a new guy
    Datman, we always have new people coming out. That's the beauty of MTBR and you are welcome to join us.

I am hoping to get in about 30 miles. However, what we will probably do is to ride 15 miles and swing back by the car for those who don't want to continue and then head out for some more fun. If that doesn't work, we will have two different routes to accomadate both mileages. So come out and have fun either way.

Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mb3designs
    Sorry Tomato, I'm gonna have to back out of this trip. Just got a new job and I am going to have to work the day after Thanksgiving. Ya'll have fun.
    Mb3k, sorry you can't make it. Maybe next time! I am going to post a ride for the 26th of November now. Join us then if you can. It will be an epic for sure.

Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by extrmtao
    Mb3k, sorry you can't make it. Maybe next time! I am going to post a ride for the 26th of November now. Join us then if you can. It will be an epic for sure.
    Yeah, hopefully I can join up with you guys for a ride soon My new job will probably not allow me to have a day off during the weekend until after Christmas, gotta love retail But you never no, I might be able to luck, or weasel my way into a Sat or Sun off before then. Just have to wait and see.
    [SIZE=5][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by extrmtao
    Datman, we always have new people coming out. That's the beauty of MTBR and you are welcome to join us.

I am hoping to get in about 30 miles. However, what we will probably do is to ride 15 miles and swing back by the car for those who don't want to continue and then head out for some more fun. If that doesn't work, we will have two different routes to accomadate both mileages. So come out and have fun either way.
    Great I'm looking forward to it. I'm only a part time resident in NC. Here in the Chicago area I ride 25-30 mile rides frequently. I'm not saying I can do it there. If one group is going to take it easy I think I can do 30.If I hit it to hard may be only 15. I have rode Bent Creek a few times and Coleman Boundary once.

Can I bring something for the group? You talked about other people attending for hiking, My wife and my Father and his wife might want to come to see the park. We can bring food drinks and anything else we may need.

luvsingletrack

I'm in to work some of the gravy out of my arteries..

Haven't ridden with you since our 'ride' up Big Creek and down Laurel--which was a blast by the way. Look forward to cruising Dupont with you.

what about starting at Guion Farm parking lot. I don't know Dupont well since I just follow my buddies and try to keep up, but we always start there and get a great 20-25 mile ride in. Includes, but not limited to Mine Mtn, reasonover creek, big rock? etc. We only had a couple small creek crossings which were do-able with keeping feet dry. We did have to go under the falls though, which was fine since the water levels are so low we avoided any ice. Just a thought, and I'm always up for starting in a new area like Fawn Lake. Where is that and how do I get there???
    Last edited by luvsingletrack; 11-16-2006 at 07:15 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by datman
    Great I'm looking forward to it. I'm only a part time resident in NC. Here in the Chicago area I ride 25-30 mile rides frequently. I'm not saying I can do it there. If one group is going to take it easy I think I can do 30.If I hit it to hard may be only 15. I have rode Bent Creek a few times and Coleman Boundary once.

Can I bring something for the group? You talked about other people attending for hiking, My wife and my Father and his wife might want to come to see the park. We can bring food drinks and anything else we may need.
    No worries on distance, mileage and speed. This is strictly a fun ride. There will be people going fast and people going slow.

Bring as many hikers as possible. My girlfriend and Father will be hiking and they always enjoy company. We might even send them to a different section of the park for hiking. We will still all meet up at Fawn Lake access though.

BTW, I am one of "those" people. I am also a mid-westerner that transplanted myself into the south.

Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by luvsingletrack
    Haven't ridden with you since our 'ride' up Big Creek and down Laurel--which was a blast by the way. Look forward to cruising Dupont with you.
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh good times good times.

Quote Originally Posted by luvsingletrack
    what about starting at Guion Farm parking lot. I don't know Dupont well since I just follow my buddies and try to keep up, but we always start there and get a great 20-25 mile ride in. Includes, but not limited to Mine Mtn, reasonover creek, big rock? etc. We only had a couple small creek crossings which were do-able with keeping feet dry. We did have to go under the falls though, which was fine since the water levels are so low we avoided any ice. Just a thought, and I'm always up for starting in a new area like Fawn Lake. Where is that and how do I get there???
    We will make our way to Guion Farm from Fawn Lake access.

Here are the directions to Fawn Lake. I am guessing you know how to find Cascade Lake Road? This road takes you by the Corn Mill Shoals parking area. If you travel to the end of Cascade Lake Road (traveling West) you will see Reasonover Road on your left. (If you hit 276 right by the Fire Station at Cedar Mountain you went too far) Make a turn onto Reasonver (you can only turn one way) and travel down this road for about 10 minutes and you will see a sign that says "Fawn Lake Access." This is the driveway to the park that you want. The parking area is right there.

Late edit: If you use the mapquest link I provided and "zoom in" and move the map north a bit you can see where cascade lakes road runs into REasonover.

Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Dupont Ride

Hi. My wife and I are going to be visiting her parents in Tryon over Thanksgiving. We're going to be renting a couple of full suspension bikes and we're planning on riding Dupont on Bird Day and Black Friday. We'd possibly interested in a group ride, especially with a group that knows the trails (we've never been there). She's an intermediate rider (although not into speed or rock gardens). I'm a somewhat advanced rider. We'd want to ride in a group together. Would that work out? Where do we meet the group and when? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbermhb
    Hi. My wife and I are going to be visiting her parents in Tryon over Thanksgiving. We're going to be renting a couple of full suspension bikes and we're planning on riding Dupont on Bird Day and Black Friday. We'd possibly interested in a group ride, especially with a group that knows the trails (we've never been there). She's an intermediate rider (although not into speed or rock gardens). I'm a somewhat advanced rider. We'd want to ride in a group together. Would that work out? Where do we meet the group and when? Thanks!
    Please take a gander at the rest of this thread for all pertinent information.

Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

pronounced may-duh
    I've got a bunch of company in town for turkey day but I'm hoping to escape to do this ride. I could really use a fun ride. I havent been out in weeks and I'm desperate for the trails. What is the hike gonna be like? Maybe I can sell the idea of a hike to my company and then they won't miss me as much while I'm out having fun on the trails.

How long and tough a hike is expected? Will the hike include the waterfalls? Can children come on the hike? We have two 7 year olds and two 12 year olds and a few out of shape adults. Should I try to talk them into it the hike or just leave them to veg at home?

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maida7
    I've got a bunch of company in town for turkey day but I'm hoping to escape to do this ride. I could really use a fun ride. I havent been out in weeks and I'm desperate for the trails. What is the hike gonna be like? Maybe I can sell the idea of a hike to my company and then they won't miss me as much while I'm out having fun on the trails.

How long and tough a hike is expected? Will the hike include the waterfalls? Can children come on the hike? We have two 7 year olds and two 12 year olds and a few out of shape adults. Should I try to talk them into it the hike or just leave them to veg at home?

Thanks in advance.
    Maida,

The hike details really haven't been nailed down. I am planning on the "longer" ride taking about 3 - 4 hours and Krisitn is looking to make the hike last around 3 hours. Last time they hiked from Fawn Lake to Bridal Veil Falls and back. I would say they are going to keep a meduim hiking pace (for 3 hours) so I will leave it up to you who should come out.

They could always take the short car ride over to Hookers Falls access and have a look at all the major waterfalls. The falls are a very short hike from that parking area. They would be on their own though because our hiking group is more into hiking than just "looking."

Hope this helps!

Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast