mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Poinsette state park?

Anybody rode here before? I'm hoping to race my first race there on March 2nd. I can't find a trail map or much info on the trail(s). I want to ride it soon to see the terrain so I can decide if I should enter cat 2 (20 miles) or cat 3 which is only one ten mile lap. I know nothing about mtn bike races.
    If this race goes well, I hope to ride the Jerdon mtn challenge this summer.

Rogue Exterminator
    Maps can be found for pretty much all (if not all) of the SC State Parks on the SC State parks website.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Poin...e+park&spell=1

http://www.southcarolinaparks.com/fi...ailmap2013.pdf

If you can ride 20 miles, I see no reason why you wouldn't want to do the cat 2.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Doesn't seem like enough trails there for a ten mile race course.
    I don't know if I can go all out for 20 miles. I'm assuming that's what you do. I need to see the terrain. I'm excited about it. Just looking for some info on the trails to hold me over till work and the weather cooperate and I can make the drive over there.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by Brando View Post
    I don't know if I can go all out for 20 miles. I'm assuming that's what you do.
    Well it depends on the type of race of but there is an old saying that slow and steady wins the race.

Anyways, what does it matter?
    Are you going there to challenge everyone else or challenge yourself and see what you are capable of?
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Brando View Post
    Doesn't seem like enough trails there for a ten mile race course.
    I don't know if I can go all out for 20 miles. I'm assuming that's what you do. I need to see the terrain. I'm excited about it. Just looking for some info on the trails to hold me over till work and the weather cooperate and I can make the drive over there.
    I camped and rode there just this past weekend. There are new trails that aren't on the maps, and they might be part of the race. Also, Poinsette State Park connects with Manchester State Forest, and there are trails over there. We didn't ride those, but we heard that there has been some logging on that side. I can't confirm.

At any rate, the terrain is pretty hilly, and a 10 mile loop out there is a pretty good ride. Also, they have beginner/Cat 3 for a reason. It's for beginners. No shame in your game if you want to stick your toe in the water with a single loop. You can always make the jump to Cat 2 for your second race.

All that said, kjlued is right in that you can go out and challenge yourself with a double. There is nothing wrong with that either.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    For a race like this I think I'm racing to race others. Something like the Jerdon mtn challenge will be more of personal challenge.
    Went out today to FATS and rode 12 miles as hard as I could and was pretty spent. Definitely couldn't have done 20 miles. Think I will do the cat 3.
    Thanks for the help guys.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Brando, I suggest checking out the XC racing and training forum and search for first-time racing tips.
    SE Racing Stout 29er

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    If its your first race, race beginner. If 10 miles of FATS hurt you then 20 miles of manchester/poinsett is gonna be too much for you. I mean, you could finish the race, but you'd be finishing in front of the DNFers. Manchester/poinsett is not very hilly. I find FATS to be more hilly.