Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Please Tell Me About Reasonover Creek Trail

I have ridden a great deal of DuPont but never from the Fawn Lake parking area. Weather permitting, I'd like to do that this coming weekend and in looking at the map, Reasonover Creek Trail looks like a good place to start. Can anyone out there enlighten me a bit on that trail? The map indicates "Difficult" but most of the trails in DuPont with that classification that I have ridden have not been all that difficult. Well, okay, the climb up Stone Mountain Trail is most defintely difficult. So how do you rate Reasonover Creek Trail--easy, fairly easy, medimum-difficult, death-defying difficult?

I have ridden the Lake Julia area but got to it from the Corn Mill Shoals parking area. I'm thinking Reasonover Creek, zig-zag on by Bridal Veil Falls and then down to Corn Mill Shoals via CMS Trail just to see how it looks. Then climb out of there via Shoals Trail, Cart Trail, and Mint Mountain Trail on back to the Fawn Lake parking area. Should be a fun ride.

Pisgah-Pale-Alien
    Reasonover has just been reworked by the very capable hands from Trail Dynamics. It is now IMO, the crown jewel of Dupont. It flows well in either direction but CCW is my preference. Sounds like a good loop you described but avoid Cart and take Mine (not Mint) Mountain trail back to FL.
    Pisgah Forest NC

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by FatTireGoose View Post
    Reasonover has just been reworked by the very capable hands from Trail Dynamics. It is now IMO, the crown jewel of Dupont. It flows well in either direction but CCW is my preference. Sounds like a good loop you described but avoid Cart and take Mine (not Mint) Mountain trail back to FL.
    Wow, sounds like a great trail and I can hardly wait to ride it. I had planned to ride it CCW since according to the map its south end starts near FL parking area. I'll take your advice and avoid Cart. Looks like once we visit CMS, we'll double back a short distance on CMST and then right on Shoals Trail or a bit further on, right on Laurel Ridge Rd to to Mine Mountain and then on back to FL.

Thanks very much for your help

mtbr member

+1 On the Comments of FatTireGoose...

...and keep in mind that the map's 'difficulty' ratings are for hikers. Try Reasonover Creek, Camp Summit, Airstrip, Barn, Bridal Veil Rd, Corn Mill Shoals (almost to the river), Shoals, Laurel Ridge, Mine Mtn, and back to your car... Think I'm doing that in the morning, but perhaps in the other direction. Add Conservation Road, Pitch Pine, and Three Lakes for more distance.

TZ
    Geriatric mountain biker and trail maintainer... ...with digital braking!

Pisgah-Pale-Alien
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailZen View Post
    Think I'm doing that in the morning, but perhaps in the other direction.
    We're heading out in the morning too. Not sure where yet but might see ya there.
    Pisgah Forest NC

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailZen View Post
    ...and keep in mind that the map's 'difficulty' ratings are for hikers. Try Reasonover Creek, Camp Summit, Airstrip, Barn, Bridal Veil Rd, Corn Mill Shoals (almost to the river), Shoals, Laurel Ridge, Mine Mtn, and back to your car... Think I'm doing that in the morning, but perhaps in the other direction. Add Conservation Road, Pitch Pine, and Three Lakes for more distance.

TZ
    Thanks. That's almost exactly the route I was just sitting here with the map and deciding on except the guys who will be with me have never been to CMS. I'll take them all the way to Little River and then double back a short distance on CMST.

Hope all of you have a great ride tomorrow morning.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    You guys could not have been more right about Reasonover Creek Trail being the Crown Jewel of DuPont. I have not ridden everything there but it is by far the most enjoyable trail I have ridden to date. It has it all, nice flow and quite scenic to boot. The guys with me had not been to Corn Mill Shoals so from Bridal Veil we went all the way to the river and then doubled back a short piece on CMST to Shoals Trail.

We all really enoyed the ride.

Here is the route we rode,

Fawn Lake/Bridal Veil/Corn Mill Shoals Loop
    (Approximately 11 miles)

From Fawn Lake Parking Area
    Right on Reasonover Creek Trail (64)
    Right on Lake View Loop (47) and along Lake Julia
    Left on Camp Summit Road (12)
    Left on Conservation Road (18)
    Right on Airstrip Trail (1)
    Left on Barn Trail (2)
    Left on Bridal Veil Falls Road (6)
    Corn Mill Shoals Trail (19) to river
    Backtrack on CMST short distance
    Right on Shoals Trail (75)
    Right on Laurel Ridge Trail (48)
    Right on Mine Mountain Trail (55)
    Right on Fawn Lake Road (22)

mtbr member

An excellent trail combination...

...stumpbumper! I rode the same general stuff Thursday am, but in the opposite direction, and added Pitch Pine and Three Lakes to the mix. The reworked Reasonover Creek Trail climbs great, too. Glad to hear you enjoyed it!

TZ
    Geriatric mountain biker and trail maintainer... ...with digital braking!

mtbr member
    Reasonover put me in the ER a couple of years ago. But I still like it.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

Official Cooler Inspector
    Nobody jumps in Fawn lake before heading to the parking lot anymore? Geeze...
    WK: What year is this? (Friday, I wish... oh how I wish.)

mtbr member
    I read a few months back about someone having their bikes stolen while they took an after ride swim, so no, no jumping in the lake and leaving the bikes as an easy target.

We finished our ride yesterday by coming out on Fawn Lake Rd between the lake and the parking area, which had been downhill for the last bit. I felt the most rested at the end of the ride that I can remember :-)
    2011 Trek Rumblefish 1

mtbr member
    There was a great photo opportunity during the ride down Reasonover Creek Trail headed towards Lake Julia.

2011 Trek Rumblefish 1

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by M-U-M View Post
    Nobody jumps in Fawn lake before heading to the parking lot anymore? Geeze...
    We did, friday two weeks ago. After getting rained on a good part of the day it finally stopped
    So we did what any reasonable MTB"rs would. Jumped in the lake and tried to scrub some of the grit off. No bikes were stolen thank goodness

Official Cooler Inspector
    My faith in humanity has been restored.
    WK: What year is this? (Friday, I wish... oh how I wish.)

ready to ride
    My wife and I rode it today. I have always traveled the opposite way that stumpbumper documentened but figured we could give his route a try. First I have to say they have done an awesome job rehabbing reasonover. Don't get me wrong the ride was awesome and I am glad I followed stumpbumpers route as I got to ride some familiar trails differently. And some sections I had never ridden before.

I am going to have to pull he map back out and see if I can figure out a way to string together some of the better trails. Until then I think reasonover was designed for best travel going clockwise. I'd follow Jim Parham's route. Either way it was a great ride and the work that has been done is a huge improvement!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpbumper View Post

Fawn Lake/Bridal Veil/Corn Mill Shoals Loop
    (Approximately 11 miles)

From Fawn Lake Parking Area
    Right on Reasonover Creek Trail (64)
    Right on Lake View Loop (47) and along Lake Julia
    Left on Camp Summit Road (12)
    Left on Conservation Road (18)
    Right on Airstrip Trail (1)
    Left on Barn Trail (2)
    Left on Bridal Veil Falls Road (6)
    Corn Mill Shoals Trail (19) to river
    Backtrack on CMST short distance
    Right on Shoals Trail (75)
    Right on Laurel Ridge Trail (48)
    Right on Mine Mountain Trail (55)
    Right on Fawn Lake Road (22)
    What's the approx. distance on this route? Trying to plan a ride for Saturday. May cross the river and do Burnt as well.

Edit: Looks like you meant right on the barn trail.

Big Mac
    Apparently, it's "approximately 11 miles".

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Jeez that was bad wasn't it. haha. Thanks!

drunken pirate
    I rode Dupont last week for the first time in a long time and decided to cross Corn Mill Shoals. I used to be able to do it without a problem but this time I fell right in. There was a group of riders wisely taking off their shoes to walk the crossing so I did the smart thing and tried the crossing again from the other side - and fell in a second time, completely submerged.

That anecdote has nothing to do with this thread but I thought I'd share it anyway. They really need to build a tunnel under the river or put up some signs or something!

I'm riding Dupont again today. I think I'll avoid the river and check out that Cascade trail
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Were you trying to ride your bike across or walk? Last time I went down right above the little drop on the moss and had no problem at all.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by singletrkmind View Post
    Were you trying to ride your bike across or walk? Last time I went down right above the little drop on the moss and had no problem at all.

If he were walking, fell in once and went back to try again... and fell in again walking...

That would be some of the funniest $%^& I had ever heard of!!!!
    BS'ing less, riding more.

Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    The first few times I rode across Corn Mill Shoals I made it all the way with no problem. Entering the water with some (but not too much) speed as well as being in a fairly high gear worked nicely for me. Then I observed a friend of mine taking a dunking about halfway across and while he survived, the cell phone in his jersey pocket did not.

The last few times I have tried it, I did not fall but I only made it about 2/3 across before having to get off my bike and walk. Have no idea what the difference is, but I believe since my friend fell I am now thinking about it too much before entering the water rather than just nonchalantly zipping across as I once did.

Whether you ride or walk, I believe everyone will agree with me when I say the Corn Mill Shoals crossing is much more fun in summer than winter. :

Rogue Exterminator
    Whenever I ride Dupont, I bring spare socks for the river crossing.
    Walking across the water at Cornmill Shoals while wearing socks gives you great traction.
    Then when you get across, put your dry ones on.
    When you come back just put your wet ones back on to cross.

Love the looks I get from the occasional hiker and especially the Florida leaf lookers when they see you walking across the cold water.

mtbr member
    Cross on the Moss.
    I am ByStickel
    ByStickel Facebook Please take a look.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by D.F.L. View Post
    Cross on the Moss.
    I think the increased traffic at this crossing has meant a decrease in the moss levels, thus why there are more problems riding across (even for experienced riders who have ridden it in the past).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast