Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I wonder if 5000 is still closed? Is there a resource for these closures or just good ol fashion reconnaissance?

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by LaXCarp View Post
    I wonder if 5000 is still closed? Is there a resource for these closures or just good ol fashion reconnaissance?
    Still closed. Will be for a while. I'm fairly certain the FS has a website for such things. I have no link to it though. Sorry.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LaXCarp View Post
    Yep still closed.

I rode up it Wednesday night and the gravel was really soft. Soft enough that my tires were leaving ruts. Kinda like the consistency of peaches and cream oatmeal if you let it sit for a while. Felt like my front brake was stuck and I actually stopped to check it.

great resistance training! haha

ready to ride
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    Still closed. Will be for a while. I'm fairly certain the FS has a website for such things. I have no link to it though. Sorry.
    National Forests in North Carolina - Alerts & Notices

However no updates for the Pisgah District, you would think the most used district would be on top of this type of thing.
    Sent via my heady vibes from the heart of Pisgahstan

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Parkway is closed too, which surprised me in 54 degree weather. Looks like they have tunnel projects going on. If you are coming from AVL and want to ride Trace Ridge area, you have to drive around to N Mills rec area and bike up to the goods from there.

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by ohkeepah View Post
    Parkway is closed too, which surprised me in 54 degree weather. Looks like they have tunnel projects going on. If you are coming from AVL and want to ride Trace Ridge area, you have to drive around to N Mills rec area and bike up to the goods from there.
    Or ride from Bent Creek. Personally, I love it when that section of the BRP closes. Makes for a nice loop.

Pisgah-Pale-Alien
    Pisgah was not as good as I hoped yesterday. Lower Bennet Gap was a mud fest and alot of damage was occurring to the trail. I would stick to gravel still but if you do hit the trails try and stay on the ridges and southern slopes. And tomorrow the rains return, I'm starting to miss the drought.
    Pisgah Forest NC

mtbr member
    I think we must finally be coming out of a deep freeze because, like you said, conditions have been decreasing all week. I've watched the gravel roads get worse and worse all week up here. Trails on southern slopes are good to go though, choose wisely.

mtbr member
    I was dying for some real riding so I went up Friday and rode up Long Branch, up to Butter, then over to Cove and down Daniels. Those trails all seemed good to me. The forest roads were the worst, one dual sport guy was stuck. First time doing Long and Butter, what a blast.
    Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Any thoughts on the conditions for laurel/pilot for tomorrow?

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by pmtb1 View Post
    Any thoughts on the conditions for laurel/pilot for tomorrow?
    Given the exposure and pending rain, I'd guess conditions will suck. YMMV. That said, cove creek/Daniel ridge areas were spectacular. Cove creek connector had one spot of slop.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Cool thanks man

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Just bust out the skis, snow on Thursday in the higher mountains. It's been good all through Feb!

mtbr member
    Wondering if any locals would be able to guess the condition of the Trace area and Laurel/Pilot for Saturday? Also I don't know the road numbers, but are the roads open past North Mills to get to the respective trailheads for these two areas? Debating between the two for a Saturday trip from the big city. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iceboxsteve View Post
    Wondering if any locals would be able to guess the condition of the Trace area and Laurel/Pilot for Saturday? Also I don't know the road numbers, but are the roads open past North Mills to get to the respective trailheads for these two areas? Debating between the two for a Saturday trip from the big city. Thanks!
    So much rain. Seriously- so much. All trails will be somewhat wet still on Saturday. If you do come up, Laurel/Pilot might be ok but also might have significant snow at the top. Trace area will likely still be pretty muddy; Trace Ridge trail itself is your best bet if you do that area because its drains so quickly. New Spencer might be OK, but the bermed corners will probably be small disaster areas. The bottom rails like Fletcher should be avoided. Note the use of might, probably, likely- I've ridden here for almost 19 years now and don't trust my ability to predict trail conditions as this amount of rain is quite unusual.

As far as I know, gravel roads past Mills River campground are still gated/shut.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the quick reply! Wasn't sure how much rain y'all got but now I know.

Would anyone recommend anything good to ride in these conditons? If nothing I won't make the big trek.

I did Long/Butter/Cove/Daniels last weekend, they were great, few mud spots on Long/Butter, the worst were the roads.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Yes those roads are closed, meaning you would have to bike your way in. I would not anticipate the trace area to be in any kinda good shape. I'd lean towards laurel due to its south facing wind exposed slope and pilot rock being full of rocks....if at all.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brown View Post
    Note the use of might, probably, likely- I've ridden here for almost 19 years now and don't trust my ability to predict trail conditions as this amount of rain is quite unusual.
    Ain't that the truth. I may be a little too optimistic, but sometimes when it rains that hard the water just sheets off rapidly and the trails dry much faster than you would think. Especially with this wind. The biggest challenge is choosing the right trails with south facing slopes and lower elevations.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Any idea of how Kitsuma and the Black Mountain trails will be this weekend? Have to go to a wedding this weekend and have not ridden there before. Don't want to damage the trails, but don't want to spend any more time on my road bike, either

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SangamonTaylor View Post
    Any idea of how Kitsuma and the Black Mountain trails will be this weekend? Have to go to a wedding this weekend and have not ridden there before. Don't want to damage the trails, but don't want to spend any more time on my road bike, either
    Kitsuma will probably be pretty rough, especially the bottom 1/2 mile or so.
    An out and back on Rainbow/Old Toll is often a good option when conditions are less-than-perfect. Might be worth it.

Taking Old Toll all the way to Heartbreak...bet there's significant snow at the top. If there isn't, it will have melted recently, leaving things a mess...but that's just my guess.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brown View Post
    Kitsuma will probably be pretty rough, especially the bottom 1/2 mile or so.
    I live about 5 min from Kitsuma and 2nd this. Especially the bottom....that trail got tore up this year.

mtbr member

Pisgah Trail Conditions

Deleted
    Last edited by coolhand80; 03-03-2016 at 04:44 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I rode old mitchell toll road to heartbreak yesterday. The toll road was sloppy/icy/snowy in places but once I got over to heartbreak it was dry with perfect conditions.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Tackled Kitsuma-Lower Heartbreak Ridge-Star Gap-Mill Creek Road on the single speed yesterday, and conditions were fantastic.

Of course, more rain/snow is forecast, so these conditions could deteriorate quickly.

--Dean

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Conditions in the other Pisgah (Wilson Creek) were perfect last weekend, the roads had mostly dried up and at least the lower elevation trails were near perfect. Yancy Ridge and Schoolhouse Ridge were looking the best I've ever seen them.

mtbr member
    Farlow/Daniels is great. Snow still at the top of Farlow.

Long Branch and Cat are great too. Huge deadfall down on Long Branch right before it pops out at the top of FR-5095. If you know that trail, the tree is right in the middle of the fast bermed section before you pop out into the clearing. Im usually rolling mach F*ck down that section so its pretty dangerous. Keep your head up through there.

Everything else is real nice...

Name:  spring-is-just-around-the-corner.jpg
Views: 579
Size:  53.5 KB

western NC
    ^^lol

mtbr member
    When is Pisgah usually good to ride in the spring? Trying to plan a trip

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alexk243 View Post
    When is Pisgah usually good to ride in the spring? Trying to plan a trip

all the time.

You can ride year round here. However, springtime in the mountains can be volatile. It usually mellows out by the end of April. You can still get the random snow shower and cold snap though.

mtbr member
    Trying to plan a 3-4 day camping trip down there. Would love for everything to be in bloom too, much prettier that way

mtbr member
    Stuff starts blooming at the lower elevations in April, May for higher up. If you want to play it safe I'd shoot for the last 2 weeks of April/first 2 weeks of may. Temperatures should be nice by then. Just gotta mind the spring rain showers and the rattlesnakes coming out of hibernation.

Might want to start planning/calling about camping reservations if you plan on staying in a campground. They fill up quick. Otherwise there is plenty of free camping all over the place.

mtbr member
    Where is the free camping?

Big Mac

In designated spots along most FS roads in the Pisgah.

mtbr member

In the woods...

Carbon8er
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    In designated spots along most FS roads in the Pisgah.
    mbm65 has it right

You have to stay in designated spots on the Forest roads. You can't just pull over and pitch a tent

477 , 475B and 1206 all have free camping at designated spots

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by El34 View Post
    mbm65 has it right

You have to stay in designated spots on the Forest roads. You can't just pull over and pitch a tent

477 , 475B and 1206 all have free camping at designated spots
    You can sleep in a truck/camper on the side of the road though. Most of the camping rules in Pisgah arent enforced in my experience.

FYI...The gate is open on 5000 at N. Mills Campground. Not sure about the one up 1206. Everything N. Mills way is riding great.

mtbr member
    Anyone head out from Turkeypen recently? What condition is Turkey Pen Rd in? Passable by car? Potholes?

Sent from my A210 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy G. Parrish View Post
    Anyone head out from Turkeypen recently? What condition is Turkey Pen Rd in? Passable by car? Potholes?

Sent from my A210 using Tapatalk
    Plenty of potholes but I took the Matrix up there yesterday afternoon.

mtbr member
    Does anyone know what parking options are open and available to do a Laurel/Pilot/Pilot cove loop?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I can't totally agree with this.

Stealth camping at a trailhead or pull-off in the vehicle?. Probably fine. Parking a car in an established area and hiking back a bit to camp? Also probably ok.

If you obviously set up a campsite in a non-designated area, you will get busted. This is especially true if your vehicle is parked illegally. Twice now, I've seen people who drove their vehicles up to the campsite just above the Laurel trailhead looking really sad as the LEO was looking really happy. And I mean that last description...the main LEO on Pisgah district likes his job a lot. Be smart!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by coolhand80 View Post
    Does anyone know what parking options are open and available to do a Laurel/Pilot/Pilot cove loop?

As of today, the gate was open. We parked at the base of Pilot plenty of folks back in there.
    Last edited by Lithified; 03-19-2016 at 05:26 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithified View Post
    As of today, the gate was open. We parked at the base of Pilot plenty of folks back in there.
    Wonderful. Thanks for the update

mtbr member
    Point Lookout Trail closing for repairs...

<NEBO, N.C., May 16, 2016 - The Pisgah National Forest will temporarily close the Point Lookout Trail on the Grandfather Ranger District for repairs starting May 31, 2016.

Repairs to the paved walking and biking trail are expected to take 90 days, and the trail is anticipated to reopen by September 1.

The Point Lookout Trail connects Mill Creek Road in Ridgecrest to Old U.S. 70 in Old Fort along the historic motor route into the mountains.

The trail was briefly closed last fall after heavy rains caused a landslide that damaged the trail and covered it with large rocks. Repair work this summer will fix damage caused by last year's slide, as well as construct retaining walls to prevent future slides.

The U.S. Forest Service urges the public to heed trail closures and avoid the area. Heavy machinery used on the trail will prohibit passage during construction. Mill Creek Road may be used as an alternate route. >

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Point Lookout is now open again!

Point Lookout Trail Reopens on the Grandfather Ranger District

Date(s): Aug 31, 2016

NEBO, N.C., August 31, 2016 The Pisgah National Forest has reopened the Point Lookout Trail on the Grandfather Ranger District following repairs to the paved walking and biking trail.

The trail was closed this summer to fix damage from a landslide as well as construct retaining walls to prevent future slides. The reopening occurs just in time for Labor Day Weekend.

The Point Lookout Trail is a family-friendly greenway for hiking or biking that connects Mill Creek Road in Ridgecrest, NC to Old U.S. 70 in Old Fort along the historic motor route into the mountains.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789