Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    rode greenslick and trace ridge two weekends ago, they were fast, dry, and awesome. we hit the weather lotto and got 70+ and sunshine. Rode up in Boone too, much wetter and colder up there. Of course, with all the snow in the last week, these conditions have completely changed by now...

mtbr member
    Visiting Asheville tomorrow and Friday for some riding. Anyone ridden Bent Creek the last couple days? How are the trails?

mtbr member
    yes, also still looking for trail conditions. is there a hotline we can call?

endorphin junkie
    It's really a mixed bag right now. Not the best answer, but hey, it's "spring" in the mountains.

Observations: On Saturday, I did a Pilot Cove/Pilot Rock/Laurel Mountain Inner-Outer loop. Trails were pretty good then, except for up above 4000' where there had been some more recent snowmelt on the PR Connector and Laurel Mountain down to about Sassafras Gap.

I then made the mistake of trying to ride N. Mills on Sunday. I knew it had rained on Sat. night but didn't realize just how much rain we got. My bad. Spencer Gap wasn't too bad going from 5000 to Trace but was a sloppy mess going down to NER on the other side. I hiked down most of it trying not to tear it up (or kill myself). After that I bailed on the trails idea and took NER back to the Trace parking lot. I stayed on gravel the rest of the day.

Since Sunday we've had cold temps and snow flurries down in the lower elevations with no accumulation, but there is snow higher up.

Did a run in Bent Creek Tuesday evening and the trails had actually dried out pretty well.

All evidence to the contrary with cold temps and snow, we're moving into spring and the trees are getting thirsty.
    "Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."
    T.S. Eliot

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Seeking condition updates on Bent Creek, Trace and Butter Gap.

Trying to figure out where to ride today.

Thanks,

Eric2

mtbr member
    Any idea if it will be swamped out tomorrow in pisgah/bent creek? We've gotten a ton of rain down here in Greenville but was hoping maybe yall got off lighter up there. Happen to have the day off and wanted to make the trip up but not if it'll be hub deep puddles.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus044 View Post
    Any idea if it will be swamped out tomorrow in pisgah/bent creek? We've gotten a ton of rain down here in Greenville but was hoping maybe yall got off lighter up there. Happen to have the day off and wanted to make the trip up but not if it'll be hub deep puddles.
    Been plenty of rain here too.

Bent Creek I am sure will be muddy.
    Pisgah depends greatly on the trails. I can't suggest any but I am sure much will be muddy.

DuPont not mentioned drains fast and much of it has good soil condition for wet riding.
    After all this rain, I would look at that but stay off Laurel, Mine, Reasonover, and maybe Airstrip. Cedar Rock and Big Rock are mostly granite so wet conditions have little effect.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Yeah corn mill parking lot was my fall back for a ride tomorrow. Enough sand and rock to get away with a wet ride. Thanks

Rogue Exterminator
    Lake Imaging side seems to hold up well too.
    Hooker Creek will get standing water towards the Ridgeline side but it has a sandy bottom so it holds up well.

I just don't know if I would ride across the the park since I imagine the stream crossing will be sketchy.

endorphin junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    Been plenty of rain here too.

Bent Creek I am sure will be muddy.
    Pisgah depends greatly on the trails. I can't suggest any but I am sure much will be muddy.
    Yeah, it's been raining for about 36 hours here in Bent Creek, sometimes lightening up but mostly pretty steady. A quick glance at radar will tell you all you need to know... no end in sight. This time of year, the trees and foliage will be soaking up a lot of rain in a short amount of time, but it will still be pretty wet for a while. I've been trying to convince myself to go out and do a trail/gravel run - but I just don't wanna.
    "Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."
    T.S. Eliot

mtbr member
    The right thing to do is not ride anything Monday. The entire area had two straight days of steady to heavy rain.

endorphin junkie
    NWS Statement as of 4:27 PM EDT on April 28, 2013

"... Record daily maximum rainfall set at Asheville NC...

A new record daily rainfall of 1.35 inches was set at the Asheville
    regional Airport today. This breaks the old record of 1.2 inches set
    in 1966."

We got another half an inch after that notice went up. The total for the entire day was 1.85 inches.
    T.S. Eliot

Rogue Exterminator
    The next 4 weeks looks like a lot of the same stuff according to accuweather.
    I know that can easily change but it will be a wet month. Get your riding in where you can.

mtbr member
    any body been out to the trails less traveled? - Coleman Boundary or Alexander Park? Alexander was in poor shape last time I was out there but that was a couple of months ago. I wonder if the trees drinking have helped? I was thinking of making a couple of runs out at Coleman today but it's probably a creek bed. Needing to not travel south to ride MTB for a bit!
    My one says BRAP!

mtbr member
    What, you need to stay near home for some reason?

Just go to Coleman. Those descents are always either a wet creek bed or a dry creek bed. The only thing you're hurting is your bike.

clk
    mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I went to Alexander earlier this week and it was good other than kinda overgrown and a few muddy spots that don't get sun

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Looking to ride next weekend. Any news on the trails after all those storms?? Blowdowns, etc. Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Have things dried up at all?

Big Mac

Pisgah Trail Conditions

To a degree, yes.

Rogue Exterminator
    We are still getting rain. Although not as much, it would be hard to say what things will be like this week.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Headed up with a small group from Charlotte to ride Bent Creek tomorrow 7/13. We will probably stick to the standard route up to Greenslick, down back up to 5 points and down Lower Sidehill to Wolf Laurel.

Any thoughts on conditions would be helpful.

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    People will die mudslides and earthquakes soon

Big Mac

Pisgah Trail Conditions

Quote Originally Posted by MTB_Rob_FL View Post
    Headed up with a small group from Charlotte to ride Bent Creek tomorrow 7/13. We will probably stick to the standard route up to Greenslick, down back up to 5 points and down Lower Sidehill to Wolf Laurel.

Any thoughts on conditions would be helpful.
    My initial thought is that it's a long ride from bent creek to wolf laurel. Other than that, you're good.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    My initial thought is that it's a long ride from bent creek to wolf laurel. Other than that, you're good.
    Sorry I always forget the name of the trail, Wolf Branch maybe? Once you descend Lower Sidehill turn right onto the gravel road and it veers off to the left. It starts with a log ride and rock kicker.

Big Mac

Pisgah Trail Conditions

Quote Originally Posted by MTB_Rob_FL View Post
    Sorry I always forget the name of the trail, Wolf Branch maybe? Once you descend Lower Sidehill turn right onto the gravel road and it veers off to the left. It starts with a log ride and rock kicker.
    That's wolf branch and the last part before you turn back to the right may or may not be snot. You'll be fine. Have fun.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast