Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    endorphin junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by driftwood View Post
    It was sloppy on my run last night. Today it is raining. It is a good time to pick your routes carefully.

The good news is the highs are going to be in the high 60's this weekend!
    Where did you run that was still sloppy? Bent Creek/N. Mills had pretty much dried out everywhere except the most chronic spots. That will have changed today already so it's a bit of a moot point. Just curious.
    "Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."
    T.S. Eliot

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I rode Greenslick on... Tuesday and it was pretty muddy. Figured it would be okay since it had been 4 days or so with no rain. I was wrong. Rode Trace Ridge last night and it was completely dry. Probably a little different now though...

endorphin junkie
    Ahh.. I forgot about Greenslick. I rode it on Wednesday and it was still fairly muddy. Where I said "everywhere except the most chronic spots", unfortunately chronic includes pretty much all of GL.
    "Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."
    T.S. Eliot

mtbr member
    May 2009
    So I am assuming it is all a mess today?

Pisgah-Pale-Alien
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercurial View Post
    So I am assuming it is all a mess today?
    Thats affirmative. I just did a morning hike in Pisgah, pretty sploogie. I'd either give it a day to drain or hit the sandy trails at Dupont.
    Pisgah Forest NC

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by FatTireGoose View Post
    Thats affirmative. I just did a morning hike in Pisgah, pretty sploogie. I'd either give it a day to drain or hit the sandy trails at Dupont.
    Thanks.

Rogue Exterminator
    Laurel and Pilot were not too bad this morning.
    They were wet of course, but for the most part they were not sloppy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    North Mills River

Bear Branch: muddy in places on the lower section. Not too bad though.

Spencer Gap: good.

Trace: good.

Spencer Branch: VERY sloppy from the Never Ending Road to Fletcher Creek intersection. I would recommend not riding that section.

drunken pirate
    And the rains came. There is a lot of moisture in the ground right now and with freezing temperatures on the way freeze/thaw will likely be an issue this coming weekend. Ride when it is still frozen and it is all good.
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

Support Pisgah Area Soba
    Pisgah Area Sorba - Web Site Communications
    http://www.pisgahareasorba.org/

mtbr member
    Anybody know if Laurel Mtn/Pilot Rock will be in decent enough shape to ride Sunday or is there a better option for a similar ride?
    "Get busy living, or get busy dying"

mtbr member
    I would expect there to still be snow at the top of Laurel, especially on Pilot Rock Connector.
    That said, if I'm over this cold, that's the loop I'll probably try to do myself. Nothing else gets more sun, drains better, and has more rock.

drunken pirate
    I rode Bear Branch and Fletcher Creek today and even though it was sunny and warm the trails were wet with the freeze/thaw effect. Laurel > Pilot would have been a better choice.
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Any other trail reports? I'm thinking about riding North Shore/Sycamore/Black-Thrift on Monday. I'll be solo so I'll probably avoid anything backcountry unless its a fire road ride.

Freeride Pabstist Church
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by cbeach View Post
    Any other trail reports? I'm thinking about riding North Shore/Sycamore/Black-Thrift on Monday. I'll be solo so I'll probably avoid anything backcountry unless its a fire road ride.
    I rode most of that today. I started at 7:30am to catch it before it thawed out. It was good but I am going to attribute that to the ground being mostly frozen. Personally, I wouldn't want to ride it later in the day.
    I reserve the right to make fun of your beliefs if I think they are stupid.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I rode Maxwell Cove to Black yesterday with a bit of an out an back to to the Turkey Pen intersection. Everything but the bottom section of Black and a few places on Maxwell Cove were completely dry. I would have never guessed that it had been raining for the last week straight.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    East TN got a nasty ice storm today. how did it affect yall?

Rogue Exterminator
    Hendersonville NC got ice too which isn't too far from Pisgah and it came from that direction. So Pisgah either got snow or ice.

drunken pirate
    I did a nice loop in the Cedar Rock area on foot yesterday and the trails were in surprisingly good shape. Not so much as even a puddle. I was so clean when I got back to the Hub that they questioned if I had even really been out in the woods.

The gravel was actually in worse shape than the trails and had a lot of treacherous ice on it,
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

mtbr member

How's Kitsuma this weekend?

No responses so I took a chance. Still pretty messy up there. The north face of the highway cut is still completely iced over. The southern face (switchbacks from the lot up) is pretty messy and the clay about half way up completely junks everything up. Had to hike a bike as the bikes were full of junk and it's tough to walk in some areas. On the down side it's still about 75% mud and 25% snow and ice. Add in a lot of leaves and it was pretty messy. Would recommend letting it dry out for a while. There were a bunch of cars in the lot so a fair amount of people were out but the trails didn't look bad compared to something like Pine Tree near Powhatan.
    Last edited by bandit350; 01-27-2013 at 05:18 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I rode Bear Pen and Staire Creek this morning. Both were on the wet side. There was still snow up on the top of Bear Pen. There was quite a bit of down branches on both trails and we did the best to clear things up. Staire Creek was it's usually self, I have never seen that trail be dry. Parts of it were solid ice and others were just very wet. There were an unusual number of hikers on Staire Creek today as well. As far as I can recall I have never seen anybody hiking that trail and I saw 10+ people out there today.

drunken pirate
    I ran the Big Nasty late yesterday and where the tread was frozen the trails were great but where they weren't it was rather soft with the freeze/thaw effect. It was snowing with about a half inch on the ground around the mountain tops but nothing down by the horse stables. There are also several pockets of heavy blow down that I didn't have time to clear (didn't make it down until after dark with no lights).

Ride when it is still frozen and the trails are perfect
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

Rogue Exterminator
    Plan on doing the Squirrel Gap / Turkey Pen (Advanced-Epic) ride tomorrow.
    Anyone know the conditions out there?

Pisgah Area SORBA Blog Archive Squirrel Gap / Turkey Pen (Advanced-Epic)
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Anyone been on Kitsuma lately? I'll be up in AVL next weekend, planning on hitting up Bent Creek and Kitsuma while we're there...

mtbr member
    how are the trails at pisgah? get snow? We were planning on driving down from Ohio, where the trails havent been rideable since December due to freeze/thaw conditions.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast