Pisgah Trail Conditions

Printable View

• 06-14-2014
    Gregon2wheels
    So I'll be in Brevard Thursday night and Friday then heading over to Tsali Saturday - Monday morning. It's is supposed to be scattered rain everyday. I assume DuPont and Tsali are ok, but I probably shouldn't try to ride Pisgah? I'll be staying near the Walmart, so it looks there is a connector trail right up to the Black Mountain/Clawhammer area.

Local advice welcome.
  • 07-04-2014
    FatTireGoose
    Heads up for the wknd
    South Mills River trail is in the worst shape it's been in years. The mud holes from Mullinax to the Cantrel Creek chimney are 8" deep, will suck yer wheel right in and the holes are so wide now you can not avoid them. Add to that someone is trimming the laurels and dropping the branches in the middle of the trail. Really sucky way to end a great ride on Squirrel. Suggest instead you out and back Squirrel or take Horse Cove to Funnel Top or go out Wolf Ford to Yellow Gap.
  • 07-04-2014
    Banjopickin
    Quote:

Originally Posted by FatTireGoose View Post
    South Mills River trail is in the worst shape it's been in years. The mud holes from Mullinax to the Cantrel Creek chimney are 8" deep, will suck yer wheel right in and the holes are so wide now you can not avoid them. Add to that someone is trimming the laurels and dropping the branches in the middle of the trail. Really sucky way to end a great ride on Squirrel. Suggest instead you out and back Squirrel or take Horse Cove to Funnel Top or go out Wolf Ford to Yellow Gap.

That whole S. Mills stuff is getting toasted it seems. From the Fishermans Camp all the way down to TP. I guess it never gets time to recover and being so close to the river its perpetually wet.

Thanks for the heads up Goose. Funnel Top to Horse is a good ride...just keep your eye out for rattlesnakes.
  • 07-10-2014
    Mike Brown
    Vastly increased user #'s d/t the Mills River closure (still effectively closed to most non-mtb users) is the main issue with SMR right now.
  • 07-24-2014
    CWnSWCO
    How's Pisgah looking? I just arrived to visit wife's family. About 50 minute drive from Brevard.
    I brought my bike this time. Are the trails in good shape?
  • 07-24-2014
    FatTireGoose
    I believe all the trails have been taking the daily rains pretty well and this weekend's forecast is clear skies, woohoo.
  • 07-25-2014
    Mitch1171
    Good to know as I will be in that area all week next week!
  • 08-01-2014
    El34
    Yep, not bad in Pisgah right now.

The new section of lower black has firmed up nicely since the re-working a few weeks ago

Avery creek was nice this past weekend
  • 08-01-2014
    mikeridesabike
    We got slammed with rain in Spartanburg last night. How bad did it rain up there?
  • 08-01-2014
    El34
    Not bad at all

Less than 1 inch at my house here last night which backs up to Pisgah between Turkey Pen and the forest entrance where the Hub bike shop is.
  • 09-25-2014
    FatTireGoose
    Bracken is awesome right now. Never see it mentioned here much but what a sweet after work ride that is. Watch for sh!t-tons of acorns down tho, like marbles in the corners.
  • 09-25-2014
    El34
    yeah, the acorns are thick on the ground right now. Like riding on marbles in some places :)
  • 09-25-2014
    FatTireGoose
    Quote:

Originally Posted by El34 View Post
    yeah, the acorns are thick on the ground right now.

Indications say it's gonna be a tough winter. Thermal tights, ugh.
  • 09-25-2014
    El34
    Got my Lake Winter riding boots ready to with a fresh coat of mink oil on the leather :)
  • 01-12-2015
    thefriar
    Any updates if someone were to haul south for a couple days?
  • 01-12-2015
    El34
    The trails are nice for the most part
    We have not had much rain at all.

I go out 3 times a week and have not seen any really muddy sections
  • 01-12-2015
    mountainbiker24
    Well, it HAS been raining for the last 24 hours, so choose carefully!
  • 01-12-2015
    El34
    Yeah, but it only shows 1/4 inch at my house in the last 24 hours
    My house backs up to Pisgah between forest entrance and turkey pen

That's not too bad, but it's still raining, so have to see what the total is when it stops
  • 01-12-2015
    mbmb65
    Pisgah Trail Conditions
    Quote:

Yeah, but it only shows 1/4 inch at my house in the last 24 hours
    My house backs up to Pisgah between forest entrance and turkey pen

That's not too bad, but it's still raining, so have to see what the total is when it stops

Is your name Emory?
  • 01-13-2015
    El34
    No, not Emory , Doug
  • 01-13-2015
    mbmb65
    Pisgah Trail Conditions
    Ok, well hello Doug.
  • 01-13-2015
    El34
    Howdy there
  • 01-13-2015
    TrailZen
    Great riding Sunday, but mostly because the tread was frozen solid. With several days of temps in the 40s and light precipitation, the District and DSRF will be well into the thaw side of the Freeze/Thaw cycle. Expect a slopfest until it's frozen again...

TZ
  • 01-13-2015
    El34
    I was out Sunday as well in the Fish hatchery area

It was hard packed nice because of the colder temps

If it does get too sloppy I throw more gravel road/logging roads into the mix
  • 01-13-2015
    thefriar
    Thanks guys. Just thinking about a quick sneak down south for the coming long weekend. Appreciate the info!
  • 01-13-2015
    El34
    Check back closer to friday
    Things change overnight here :)

Just post again here and I'll give you an upate
  • 01-14-2015
    123qwerty
    Headed over tomorrow from Tennessee - did y'all end up getting a lot of rain. Trying to make up my mind pisgah proper (big nasty loop) vs dupont (+/- resonover). Thanks
  • 01-15-2015
    Banjopickin
    Rain is mostly gone. Supposed to be dry and sunny for a good long while. should be with fine either..
  • 01-15-2015
    El34
    Nah, got .53 inches here at my house for the week in total.
    I did not get a chance to get out and ride on Wednesday, so I can't give a trails condition report

I am going to try and get out this afternoon (Thursday the 15th)
  • 01-16-2015
    123qwerty
    Thanks guys, ended up riding claw, black, bennet, etc - was a little soft but not bad. I appreciate the help.
  • 01-16-2015
    El34
    I went out this afternoon for a quickie. It was just soft in a few places, not bad at all
  • 01-20-2015
    alexk243
    How is the trail around the end of March? Ride-able?
  • 01-20-2015
    mbmb65
    Pisgah Trail Conditions
    Depends on the weather.
  • 01-21-2015
    El34
    Impossible to tell how March will be this far out
    Conditions change day to day

In April 2001 we had 11 inches of snow and it was gone in 3 days
    It's the mountains and the weather is wacky sometimes
  • 03-05-2015
    Logover
    Due to freeze thaw conditions all roads in Greater Pisgah / Bent Creek are closed with the exception of the following. Catheys Creek, Davidson River and Avery Creek up to the stables and Bent creek road up to Ledford parking lot.
  • 03-05-2015
    El34
    Is this coming from the Pisgah Ranger district?

I was out riding yesterday afternoon and most of the trails were fine around the rangers station area.

I have seen them way worse in past years than what I was seeing yesterday
  • 03-05-2015
    Logover
    Quote:

Is this coming from the Pisgah Ranger district?

I was out riding yesterday afternoon and most of the trails were fine around the rangers station area.

I have seen them way worse in past years than what I was seeing yesterday

Yes.
  • 03-05-2015
    El34
    So gravel roads like 475, 475B, 477, Yellow gap and roads like clawhammer are included?
  • 03-05-2015
    Logover
    Quote:

So gravel roads like 475, 475B, 477, Yellow gap and roads like clawhammer are included?

yes
  • 03-05-2015
    mountainbiker24
    Closed to just cars, or closed to bikes?
  • 03-05-2015
    El34
    I ride the gravel roads when they are closed to cars
  • 03-05-2015
    mountainbiker24
    I assumed when roads are closed, that doesn't apply to bikes, but the last time I assumed something...
  • 03-05-2015
    Snototter
    Just cars.
  • 03-05-2015
    mountainbiker24
    Thanks guys. Got some gravel rides planned this weekend!
  • 03-05-2015
    El34
    It's way more pleasant when the roads are gated off

No vehicles coming around the corner on the wrong side of the road :)
  • 03-09-2015
    alexk243
    Any more info on how its looking this coming weekend?
  • 03-10-2015
    FatTireGoose
    Quote:

Originally Posted by alexk243 View Post
    Any more info on how its looking this coming weekend?

Regardless of the wet/frozen precip we've had for weeks now, any time we have 3+ days of rain forecasted in the winter, when the trees aren't soaking it up, you can count an equal amount of time for the sun and wind to dry it out.
  • 03-10-2015
    El34
    Last week end (03/07 and 0308) it was perfect conditions everywhere I rode in the fish hatchery area. Ran into a bunch of bikers and asked about the trails they had ridden, they said the same thing.

It's hard to say about this coming weekend. As was noted above rain is forecast just about every day. Post something closer to Friday, I should know more by then.
  • 03-10-2015
    alexk243
    Sounds good. Ill check back
  • 03-10-2015
    El34
    No rain to speak of today.
    .01 inches at my house as of 5pm

Did a quicky ride with my two dogs
    grassy, upper sycamore and north slope
    All trails in great condition

A few gooey spots on the flat s of upper grassy, but they are always like that after wet periods