Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Miss the Pisgah National Forest... Brevard Class of '84

mtbr member

Pinks Beds status?

Is Pink Beds rideable from 276 to 476? Never been on it and wanted to try it out this weekend.

Thanks!
    Nothing but style!

mtbr member
    I'm not sure what 476 is, but I rode Pink Beds trail from 276 to Buckhorn Gap to Clawhammer Rd last Sat and it was fine. Buckhorn Gap continues to be wet and sloppy for no apparent reason near the river, even though the rest of the trail was dry.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

update anyone?

Anyone ridden black mountain, butter gap, or farlow gap recently. If conditions arent too nasty, my buddies and I are tryin to go next weekend

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    Why would they be too nasty?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I've been told that around this time of year a lot of the trails become unridable due to downed trees and stuff from rain/snow. Is that correct?

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    Lies.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Haha well alright then, that's what I like to hear

drunken pirate
    Sometimes this time of the year can make for less than ideal riding due to freeze/thaw cycles as well as blow down from winter storms, not to mention snow and ice on the trails themselves. We've had a few winters recently where riding a bicycle in Pisgah was very challenging if not impossible.

This year has not been like that. It has been very mild and the trails are fine*. Nothing much to speak of at all. Come ride and have fun!

(* a lot of trails in the PRD are in dire need of maintenance so 'fine' is a relative term. What I mean is there is nothing out of the ordinary.)
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Awesome, thanks for the tip, and yes we will come and ride!

mtbr member
    Butter gap and Cat Gap are pretty sloppy, but they usually are. Nothing really out of the ordinary there. Daniel Ridge is good to go. The gravel roads around the hatchery are smooth and hardpacked right now which is really nice too.

mtbr member
    I am heading to Asheville around the 28th through the 31st. How are the trails there now? Any must hit trail suggestions are also welcomed. Looking for a few 20-30 mile ride, climbing and moderate technical aren't an issue. I am from CO heading to the mid west for the holidays. I think, I'll need a side trip to get away from the family for a few days and have been reading about your area for years.
    Thanks for your reply's!

drunken pirate
    The trails right now are damp/wet. It is still too far out to say how they will be on the 28th. Unless the weather changes drastically (which it very well could) the trails should be fine for when you are here.

Must hit trail suggestion: Laurel Mountain to Pilot Rock

Search the forum for tons of trail suggestions and then stop at a local bike store when you get here, buy a map and some other stuff and get more recommendations from the shop employees.
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

mtbr member
    I'll be in Pisgah this weekend. The forecast is rain on Friday night. Riding on Saturday is iffy, but we are riding somewhere on Sunday. Our preferred ride is Pink Beds/ S. Mills/ Squirrel ending at Turkey Pen. Is this a bad idea? If so, what would you recommend? Driving to DuPont is okay.
    Zippity do dah...

endorphin junkie
    Bent Creek Trails Report 12/31/2012: Trails are in pretty bad shape. I would advise staying off at least the following: Hardtimes Connector, Deer Lake Lodge (Powerline in particular is a sloppy mess), Homestead/Small Creek, Lower Pine Tree.

In other words... just about everywhere the most people go. :-(

I did not ride all these, evaluated some based on trailhead conditions and prior experience. I am assuming that Wolf Branch and Ledford are just as bad. Higher up/further out the trails are in better shape but still marginal. Explorer Loop was pretty good except for the usual spots between Pine Tree Connector and Sleepy Gap.

More rain is forecast New Year's Day/Night. Hopefully the warm, dry spell in the 10 day forecast will happen and dry things out a bit.
    "Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."
    T.S. Eliot

drunken pirate
    Yep, we have entered a more traditional winter weather pattern with plenty of moisture on the ground and the freeze/thaw cycle in full effect. I'd say the trails are in poor shape at this time. I cut my run short yesterday because it was so muddy and slippery.

If you ride when the ground is still frozen it is all good but once it thaws it gets rather soft and muddy. Pick your time and trails carefully and it is all fairly good.

Also, recent high winds have left isolated pockets of deadfall on the trails. Do your part and help clear the trails when you encounter debris
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

mtbr member
    Here's a good wet weather route we did last weekend:

Fish Hatchery>475B>Seinard Ridge (the double track, not the illegal singletrack to the parkway)>gravel road/double track up to the connector at the top of Daniel Ridge...like in SWANK> Daniel Ridge counterclockwise>double track that goes past the waterfall ?>Daniel ridge clockwise>475A>Davidson River>Hatchery.

It was a pretty route w/ great views of John's Rock, LookingGlass, several waterfalls, and we didn't get into muddy/delicate trail areas except a little bit on Daniel ridge going clockwise between the double track and the creek. And that part is pretty much rutted to hell anyway. The rocky part of Daniel ridge was a river, but not muddy or damaged. It's interesting how the rocky trails protect themselves.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

OTR/HB Conditions

Anyone ridden the OTR/Heartbreak route yet this year. Thinking about making the trek tomorrow, just curious as to the conditions?
    "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."
    - Abraham Lincoln

clk
    mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I went to bent creek today before work and the trails were sloppy. I don't know if this helps.

mtbr member
    bd- that will be as fine as anything you can do. OTR= a road. Heartbreak= relatively well-built ST.
    Might be snow in the tops sections, though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brown View Post
    bd- that will be as fine as anything you can do. OTR= a road. Heartbreak= relatively well-built ST.
    Might be snow in the tops sections, though.
    Yeah I figured so....thought some locals usually rode that on the 1st every year when it opened, so thought I'd ask. Expecting a few downed trees and such.

I'll post conditions after the ride tomorrow. Looking forward to my Pisgah fix tomorrow.
    "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."
    - Abraham Lincoln

endorphin junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by bd279 View Post
    Yeah I figured so....thought some locals usually rode that on the 1st every year when it opened, so thought I'd ask. Expecting a few downed trees and such.
    A few friends did ride OTR/Heartbreak on New Year's Day. I saw brief posts on Facebook that they survived and had a good time, but did not get details as to the trail conditions. I definitely would expect ice/snow up top, very wet/muddy down lower (especially switchbacks) and downed trees.

In other words, sounds awesome! Have fun!
    "Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."
    T.S. Eliot

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Cold day in the mountains, but clear blue skies and sunshine all day. Toll road as expected, except really icy in a few sections. HB is decent shape. more than the normal amount of trees down. Two on upper section. One nasty difficult tree to pass in the mid section, the rest is good but leafy.

ps - I hate Rattlesnake trail.
    - Abraham Lincoln

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Bent Creek-NO.. Spencer and Trace good to go today.

drunken pirate
    It was sloppy on my run last night. Today it is raining. It is a good time to pick your routes carefully.

The good news is the highs are going to be in the high 60's this weekend!
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast