Pisgah Trail Conditions

Printable View

• 02-19-2016
    LaXCarp
    I wonder if 5000 is still closed? Is there a resource for these closures or just good ol fashion reconnaissance?
  • 02-19-2016
    mbmb65
    Quote:

Originally Posted by LaXCarp View Post
    I wonder if 5000 is still closed? Is there a resource for these closures or just good ol fashion reconnaissance?

Still closed. Will be for a while. I'm fairly certain the FS has a website for such things. I have no link to it though. Sorry.
  • 02-19-2016
    Banjopickin
    Quote:

Originally Posted by LaXCarp View Post

Yep still closed.

I rode up it Wednesday night and the gravel was really soft. Soft enough that my tires were leaving ruts. Kinda like the consistency of peaches and cream oatmeal if you let it sit for a while. Felt like my front brake was stuck and I actually stopped to check it.

great resistance training! haha
  • 02-19-2016
    mattnmtns
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    Still closed. Will be for a while. I'm fairly certain the FS has a website for such things. I have no link to it though. Sorry.

National Forests in North Carolina - Alerts & Notices

However no updates for the Pisgah District, you would think the most used district would be on top of this type of thing.
  • 02-20-2016
    ohkeepah
    Parkway is closed too, which surprised me in 54 degree weather. Looks like they have tunnel projects going on. If you are coming from AVL and want to ride Trace Ridge area, you have to drive around to N Mills rec area and bike up to the goods from there.
  • 02-20-2016
    mbmb65
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ohkeepah View Post
    Parkway is closed too, which surprised me in 54 degree weather. Looks like they have tunnel projects going on. If you are coming from AVL and want to ride Trace Ridge area, you have to drive around to N Mills rec area and bike up to the goods from there.

Or ride from Bent Creek. Personally, I love it when that section of the BRP closes. Makes for a nice loop.
  • 02-21-2016
    FatTireGoose
    Pisgah was not as good as I hoped yesterday. Lower Bennet Gap was a mud fest and alot of damage was occurring to the trail. I would stick to gravel still but if you do hit the trails try and stay on the ridges and southern slopes. And tomorrow the rains return, I'm starting to miss the drought.
  • 02-21-2016
    motomike
    I think we must finally be coming out of a deep freeze because, like you said, conditions have been decreasing all week. I've watched the gravel roads get worse and worse all week up here. Trails on southern slopes are good to go though, choose wisely.
  • 02-21-2016
    iceboxsteve
    I was dying for some real riding so I went up Friday and rode up Long Branch, up to Butter, then over to Cove and down Daniels. Those trails all seemed good to me. The forest roads were the worst, one dual sport guy was stuck. First time doing Long and Butter, what a blast.
  • 02-21-2016
    pmtb1
    Any thoughts on the conditions for laurel/pilot for tomorrow?
  • 02-21-2016
    mbmb65
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmtb1 View Post
    Any thoughts on the conditions for laurel/pilot for tomorrow?

Given the exposure and pending rain, I'd guess conditions will suck. YMMV. That said, cove creek/Daniel ridge areas were spectacular. Cove creek connector had one spot of slop.
  • 02-21-2016
    pmtb1
    Cool thanks man
  • 02-22-2016
    ohkeepah
    Just bust out the skis, snow on Thursday in the higher mountains. It's been good all through Feb!
  • 02-25-2016
    iceboxsteve
    Wondering if any locals would be able to guess the condition of the Trace area and Laurel/Pilot for Saturday? Also I don't know the road numbers, but are the roads open past North Mills to get to the respective trailheads for these two areas? Debating between the two for a Saturday trip from the big city. Thanks!
  • 02-25-2016
    Mike Brown
    Quote:

Originally Posted by iceboxsteve View Post
    Wondering if any locals would be able to guess the condition of the Trace area and Laurel/Pilot for Saturday? Also I don't know the road numbers, but are the roads open past North Mills to get to the respective trailheads for these two areas? Debating between the two for a Saturday trip from the big city. Thanks!

So much rain. Seriously- so much. All trails will be somewhat wet still on Saturday. If you do come up, Laurel/Pilot might be ok but also might have significant snow at the top. Trace area will likely still be pretty muddy; Trace Ridge trail itself is your best bet if you do that area because its drains so quickly. New Spencer might be OK, but the bermed corners will probably be small disaster areas. The bottom rails like Fletcher should be avoided. Note the use of might, probably, likely- I've ridden here for almost 19 years now and don't trust my ability to predict trail conditions as this amount of rain is quite unusual.

As far as I know, gravel roads past Mills River campground are still gated/shut.
  • 02-25-2016
    iceboxsteve
    Thanks for the quick reply! Wasn't sure how much rain y'all got but now I know.

Would anyone recommend anything good to ride in these conditons? If nothing I won't make the big trek.

I did Long/Butter/Cove/Daniels last weekend, they were great, few mud spots on Long/Butter, the worst were the roads.
  • 02-25-2016
    LaXCarp
    Yes those roads are closed, meaning you would have to bike your way in. I would not anticipate the trace area to be in any kinda good shape. I'd lean towards laurel due to its south facing wind exposed slope and pilot rock being full of rocks....if at all.
  • 02-25-2016
    motomike
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Brown View Post
    Note the use of might, probably, likely- I've ridden here for almost 19 years now and don't trust my ability to predict trail conditions as this amount of rain is quite unusual.

Ain't that the truth. I may be a little too optimistic, but sometimes when it rains that hard the water just sheets off rapidly and the trails dry much faster than you would think. Especially with this wind. The biggest challenge is choosing the right trails with south facing slopes and lower elevations.
  • 02-26-2016
    SangamonTaylor
    Any idea of how Kitsuma and the Black Mountain trails will be this weekend? Have to go to a wedding this weekend and have not ridden there before. Don't want to damage the trails, but don't want to spend any more time on my road bike, either :)
  • 02-26-2016
    Mike Brown
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SangamonTaylor View Post
    Any idea of how Kitsuma and the Black Mountain trails will be this weekend? Have to go to a wedding this weekend and have not ridden there before. Don't want to damage the trails, but don't want to spend any more time on my road bike, either :)

Kitsuma will probably be pretty rough, especially the bottom 1/2 mile or so.
    An out and back on Rainbow/Old Toll is often a good option when conditions are less-than-perfect. Might be worth it.

Taking Old Toll all the way to Heartbreak...bet there's significant snow at the top. If there isn't, it will have melted recently, leaving things a mess...but that's just my guess.
  • 02-26-2016
    LaXCarp
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Brown View Post
    Kitsuma will probably be pretty rough, especially the bottom 1/2 mile or so.

I live about 5 min from Kitsuma and 2nd this. Especially the bottom....that trail got tore up this year.
  • 02-28-2016
    coolhand80
    Pisgah Trail Conditions
    Deleted
  • 02-29-2016
    LaXCarp
    I rode old mitchell toll road to heartbreak yesterday. The toll road was sloppy/icy/snowy in places but once I got over to heartbreak it was dry with perfect conditions.
  • 03-02-2016
    D-Yob
    Tackled Kitsuma-Lower Heartbreak Ridge-Star Gap-Mill Creek Road on the single speed yesterday, and conditions were fantastic.

Of course, more rain/snow is forecast, so these conditions could deteriorate quickly.

--Dean
  • 03-02-2016
    derek@
    Conditions in the other Pisgah (Wilson Creek) were perfect last weekend, the roads had mostly dried up and at least the lower elevation trails were near perfect. Yancy Ridge and Schoolhouse Ridge were looking the best I've ever seen them.
  • 03-06-2016
    Banjopickin
    1 Attachment(s)
    Farlow/Daniels is great. Snow still at the top of Farlow.

Long Branch and Cat are great too. Huge deadfall down on Long Branch right before it pops out at the top of FR-5095. If you know that trail, the tree is right in the middle of the fast bermed section before you pop out into the clearing. Im usually rolling mach F*ck down that section so its pretty dangerous. Keep your head up through there.

Everything else is real nice...

Attachment 1054751
  • 03-06-2016
    HPIguy
    ^^lol
  • 03-06-2016
    alexk243
    When is Pisgah usually good to ride in the spring? Trying to plan a trip

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
  • 03-07-2016
    Banjopickin
    Quote:

Originally Posted by alexk243 View Post
    When is Pisgah usually good to ride in the spring? Trying to plan a trip

all the time.

You can ride year round here. However, springtime in the mountains can be volatile. It usually mellows out by the end of April. You can still get the random snow shower and cold snap though.
  • 03-07-2016
    alexk243
    Trying to plan a 3-4 day camping trip down there. Would love for everything to be in bloom too, much prettier that way

• 03-07-2016
    Banjopickin
    Stuff starts blooming at the lower elevations in April, May for higher up. If you want to play it safe I'd shoot for the last 2 weeks of April/first 2 weeks of may. Temperatures should be nice by then. Just gotta mind the spring rain showers and the rattlesnakes coming out of hibernation.

Might want to start planning/calling about camping reservations if you plan on staying in a campground. They fill up quick. Otherwise there is plenty of free camping all over the place.
  • 03-09-2016
    alexk243
    Where is the free camping?

• 03-09-2016
    mbmb65
    Quote:

In designated spots along most FS roads in the Pisgah.
  • 03-10-2016
    iceboxsteve
    Quote:

In the woods...
  • 03-10-2016
    El34
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    In designated spots along most FS roads in the Pisgah.

mbm65 has it right

You have to stay in designated spots on the Forest roads. You can't just pull over and pitch a tent :)

477 , 475B and 1206 all have free camping at designated spots
  • 03-10-2016
    Banjopickin
    Quote:

Originally Posted by El34 View Post
    mbm65 has it right

You have to stay in designated spots on the Forest roads. You can't just pull over and pitch a tent :)

477 , 475B and 1206 all have free camping at designated spots

You can sleep in a truck/camper on the side of the road though. Most of the camping rules in Pisgah arent enforced in my experience.

FYI...The gate is open on 5000 at N. Mills Campground. Not sure about the one up 1206. Everything N. Mills way is riding great.
  • 03-13-2016
    Timothy G. Parrish
    Anyone head out from Turkeypen recently? What condition is Turkey Pen Rd in? Passable by car? Potholes?

Sent from my A210 using Tapatalk
  • 03-14-2016
    jn35646
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Timothy G. Parrish View Post
    Anyone head out from Turkeypen recently? What condition is Turkey Pen Rd in? Passable by car? Potholes?

Sent from my A210 using Tapatalk

Plenty of potholes but I took the Matrix up there yesterday afternoon.
  • 03-14-2016
    coolhand80
    Does anyone know what parking options are open and available to do a Laurel/Pilot/Pilot cove loop?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 03-15-2016
    Mike Brown
    I can't totally agree with this.

Stealth camping at a trailhead or pull-off in the vehicle?. Probably fine. Parking a car in an established area and hiking back a bit to camp? Also probably ok.

If you obviously set up a campsite in a non-designated area, you will get busted. This is especially true if your vehicle is parked illegally. Twice now, I've seen people who drove their vehicles up to the campsite just above the Laurel trailhead looking really sad as the LEO was looking really happy. And I mean that last description...the main LEO on Pisgah district likes his job a lot. Be smart!
  • 03-19-2016
    Lithified
    Quote:

Originally Posted by coolhand80 View Post
    Does anyone know what parking options are open and available to do a Laurel/Pilot/Pilot cove loop?

As of today, the gate was open. We parked at the base of Pilot plenty of folks back in there.
  • 03-19-2016
    coolhand80
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lithified View Post
    As of today, the gate was open. We parked at the base of Pilot plenty of folks back in there.

Wonderful. Thanks for the update

• 05-17-2016
    motomike
    Point Lookout Trail closing for repairs...

<NEBO, N.C., May 16, 2016 - The Pisgah National Forest will temporarily close the Point Lookout Trail on the Grandfather Ranger District for repairs starting May 31, 2016.

Repairs to the paved walking and biking trail are expected to take 90 days, and the trail is anticipated to reopen by September 1.

The Point Lookout Trail connects Mill Creek Road in Ridgecrest to Old U.S. 70 in Old Fort along the historic motor route into the mountains.

The trail was briefly closed last fall after heavy rains caused a landslide that damaged the trail and covered it with large rocks. Repair work this summer will fix damage caused by last year's slide, as well as construct retaining walls to prevent future slides.

The U.S. Forest Service urges the public to heed trail closures and avoid the area. Heavy machinery used on the trail will prohibit passage during construction. Mill Creek Road may be used as an alternate route. >
  • 08-31-2016
    mtbwnc
    Point Lookout is now open again!
    Point Lookout Trail Reopens on the Grandfather Ranger District

Date(s): Aug 31, 2016

NEBO, N.C., August 31, 2016 The Pisgah National Forest has reopened the Point Lookout Trail on the Grandfather Ranger District following repairs to the paved walking and biking trail.

The trail was closed this summer to fix damage from a landslide as well as construct retaining walls to prevent future slides. The reopening occurs just in time for Labor Day Weekend.

The Point Lookout Trail is a family-friendly greenway for hiking or biking that connects Mill Creek Road in Ridgecrest, NC to Old U.S. 70 in Old Fort along the historic motor route into the mountains.
  • 10-10-2016
    2bfluid
    There are a lot of trees down after the cane. Trails are riding great after the rain.
  • 10-10-2016
    El34
    Yep, ground condition is good, but lots of debris on the trails right now
  • 10-11-2016
    gt7152b
    Cove Creek has some massive trees down on it right now. Daniel Ridge has a couple down on the bridge side. Butter Gap is clear all the way down to Long Branch. Anybody know the status of Bennett, Black, or the other trails in the Davidson River vicinity?
  • 10-11-2016
    El34
    There's a big messy tree with lots of branches down on black.
    About half way down from the top of hickory knob to the junction of Thrift cove

You come around a curve to the right at high speed and there it is
    So be carefull
  • 10-16-2016
    Adodero
    How are things looking on Middle / Lower Black?

I haven't been up there since April and was thinking about riding it, but I heard it's gotten a lot more washed out and difficult. Any truth to that? Trying to stay within my limits :)
  • 10-16-2016
    El34
    1 Attachment(s)
    I was on Cove creek trail yesterday.

There are 3 very large trees across the trail and one that you can duck under.

I GPS'd the locations for the forest service
    I attached a zip file to this post with a .gpx file inside
    There are four waypoints in the .gpx file
  • 10-16-2016
    FatTireGoose
    Quote:

Originally Posted by El34 View Post
    I was on Cove creek trail yesterday.

There are 3 very large trees across the trail and one that you can duck under.

I GPS'd the locations for the forest service
    I attached a zip file to this post with a .gpx file inside
    There are four waypoints in the .gpx file

Two FS sawers were cutting these trees as we rode up CC today. They started at the top, we told them most were near the bottom between the 1st and 2nd bridge coming up, don't know if they got to all of them.
  • 10-17-2016
    El34
    Going up CC, the first one was on a right hand curve where you had to climb through all the limbs and debris.

Then there were a cluster of two together right after that
    Just the large trunks across the trail
    Those were the main problem trees
  • 10-17-2016
    gt7152b
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Adodero View Post
    How are things looking on Middle / Lower Black?

I haven't been up there since April and was thinking about riding it, but I heard it's gotten a lot more washed out and difficult. Any truth to that? Trying to stay within my limits :)

Middle Black is a little more washed out than usual but about nothing significantly more challenging. As El34 mentioned there's a nasty tree down between the stairs and Lower Black intersection. I think you'll see it in plenty of time if you're looking ahead. Lower Black is in perfect condition. The big wash outs that have made significant changes to the trail are on Upper Black, between Turkey Pen intersection and Pressley Gap.
  • 10-20-2016
    Adodero
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gt7152b View Post
    Middle Black is a little more washed out than usual but about nothing significantly more challenging. As El34 mentioned there's a nasty tree down between the stairs and Lower Black intersection. I think you'll see it in plenty of time if you're looking ahead. Lower Black is in perfect condition. The big wash outs that have made significant changes to the trail are on Upper Black, between Turkey Pen intersection and Pressley Gap.

Thanks for the info.

I rode upper/middle/lower and I think the tree has been cleared, you can see where it was chopped up and I didn't have to stop or dismount to get around a tree. It's obviously loose ground with all the woodchips, but at least the tree is gone. I don't remember the exact spot I saw it cut up, so I'm assuming it's the tree you were talking about. There was a tree that appears to have split and part of it fell over the hike a bike section, but I don't know if that was new or had been there.

Lower ran great, no issues there. It was leafy in sections, but a well defined path is there and I didn't have any issues with traction due to the leaves. Some of the rocks seem a little more exposed than I remember them being, but nothing horrible, just a little chunkier and I could be remembering wrong.

Middle was a bit looser than I remember it being before, the larger rocks that are on the trail and were seated into the dirt have come loose and were moving around as I rode over them ("ker klunk!"). There were also a bunch of babyheads on the trail. It was really dusty, but didn't seem much more washed out except in one or two sections. I personally wouldn't bomb down it out of fear of the loose rocks, but it didn't seem overly rutted out, only a few sections seemed a little more washed out. Like you said, nothing that added too much difficulty over what it was before, although it was hard for me to gauge due to my accidental upper black that wore me out.

Upper...I took a wrong turn and ended up on upper, it was my first time up there, so I don't have anything to compare it to. It was loose like middle black in terms of rocks and dirt. Some of the drops in the middle of the ruts seemed pretty washed out, but I have no idea if that's new or if it's been that way.
  • 10-23-2016
    Lithified
    5000 from NMR Recreation Area was gated off to vehicular traffic today. Logging the signs would suggest but I don't really have any more info....
  • 10-24-2016
    Banjopickin
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lithified View Post
    5000 from NMR Recreation Area was gated off to vehicular traffic today. Logging the signs would suggest but I don't really have any more info....

The USFS Ranger told me that it would be about a month or two for them to finish logging up Bear Branch area. Still open to bike, horse and foot traffic though
  • 10-24-2016
    Lithified
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Banjopickin View Post
    The USFS Ranger told me that it would be about a month or two for them to finish logging up Bear Branch area. Still open to bike, horse and foot traffic though

When did it start do you know? I've been a giant turd bucket as of late, not riding so I only noticed heading in there to fish! Ha
  • 10-24-2016
    2bfluid
    Actually I believe that Wash Creek Rd (5000) is closed to all traffic at this time. But all of the trails are open. Time to climb Lower Trace Ridge and Spencer if you haven't...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
  • 10-24-2016
    2bfluid
    It started last week. 225 over by Cove Creek is open for vehicular traffic

• 10-24-2016
    Banjopickin
    They started grading and what not up bear branch a whiiiiile back. They graded it very nicely and put a bunch of stone down. I rode my CX bike up as far as I could go and found the trucks, etc. close to the end of the road. I was told a month or so but who knows how long it will actually take.

USFS never told us that we couldnt use 5000 but if it says on a sign I wont take the chance. Gotta come in from the PKWY down 5000 (that side is still open to foot/bike traffic I assume) or get wet feet starting out from the campground. Really wish there was a dry crossing there since its nice to start a ride on singletrack up Lower Trace...
  • 10-24-2016
    Mike Brown
    banjo thanks to the severe lack of rain in our parts, I've been able to pedal across the lower trace/mills river crossing without getting my feet wet ("ratcheting") for some weeks now.
    I'm planning on riding from BC gap tonight, if there's a sign saying the road is closed to all traffic I'll pedal up the parkway and walk in on upper upper trace...wait, no, how will I get back?
    Anyway, I'll post if there's a sign saying closed to all traffic.
  • 10-24-2016
    Lithified
    Whoa whoa cool your jets duders. Sign very clearly said open to foot bike and horse travel. A clear path around the 5000 gate. You be all good in da hood.
  • 10-24-2016
    2bfluid
    Glad to hear it.

• 01-28-2017
    LaXCarp
    any idea if yellow gap road (1206) is still closed from n mills river campground?
  • 01-30-2017
    Banjopickin
    Several large trees down on Trace Ridge...

None in high speed areas but keep your head up anyway.

Trail is riding great!
  • 01-30-2017
    Adodero
    There are also trees down on Cove Creek (near the fire pit) and the creeky side of Daniel's Ridge (just after the intersection from Cove Creek Rd).
  • 02-09-2017
    2bfluid
    Cove Creek and Avery Creek are cleared of trees.

• 03-20-2017
    Lithified
    Anyone ridden out of Turkey Pen lately? Is it a mess from freeze-thaw? Wanting to get out this afternoon, but it was upper 20s at my house this morning...what say ye?
  • 03-20-2017
    El34
    Have not been down in Turkey pen lately, but other places in Pisgah that have soft soil are muddy because of frost heave

But hard packed trails seem to be ok because the soil is not loose
    I did 225 connector up to Daniel on Sunday and they were both fine
  • 03-20-2017
    Banjopickin
    Whats up with the Trail work on upper S. Mills at the gauging station?...

Someones been in there with a walk behind cutting in grade dips, etc.

Bout time!! haha...
  • 05-31-2017
    Timothy G. Parrish
    Avery Creek Rd closed from horse stables up. Can still hike and bike, however.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
  • 05-31-2017
    El34
    I was on 477/ Avery Monday.

Only the gate up at 276 by the Forest Discovery center was closed because there was a sinkhole in the road.

The other two gates from the horse stables up to the parking for Buckhorn/Twin Falls was open

Looking at the announcement above, it looks like they closed the horse stables gate also?
  • 06-01-2017
    Adodero
    Climbed up to Bennett on Saturday, the road was still open up to the Bennett intersection, despite the sign on the road at the stables saying Avery was closed due to a sinkhole. People were driving on the road.

When I rode by the Avery Creek trail exit, it was marked off with caution tape of some sort.

Also, trees down on Trace Ridge in several spots (3 or 4).
  • 06-01-2017
    El34
    Buckhorn trail from Buckhorn gap (top of Clawhammer) down to Mills river trail intersection.

I rode this Monday, 05/29
    A huge group of horses had been on it.
    It was tore up really bad in many places

The soil is tilled up, soft and deep in many places
    Then where the rain water has pooled, the trail is a big muck hole mess

It got much better on mills river trail going towards the gauging station/476 because of the machine work that was done there recently, but still the horse traffic made sections of that trail a mess also.

Just a heads up in case you are thinking of riding there on a skinny tire cross bike
  • 06-02-2017
    Banjopickin
    Several very large trees down on Laurel Mtn... Gotta go up the hill a ways to get around them...

Also quite a few down on Slate Rock as well.
  • 06-02-2017
    mikeridesabike
    I rode Mullinax - Squirrel - lower Horse Cove - S Mills last Saturday. Squirrel was mostly fine, but we ran into a group of 10 horses that were doing serious damage to that trail. Horse Cove was the biggest mess I have seen in a long time. And S. Mills was a series of giant bike-stopping mud holes. Kind of makes me miss the drought.
  • 06-02-2017
    El34
    477 - Avery creek road was not gated at the horse stables Thursday night (last night)
    The gate at 276 is still closed

So you still can drive the whole length of 477, but you can't exit at the top end at 276
  • 06-02-2017
    keenride
    Adodero, can you tell me where the trees are on Trace? Closer to the top or bottom? Have a trail crew hitting NMR tomorrow and we'll send a few guys up to cut them out.
  • 06-02-2017
    thatthang
    Quote:

Originally Posted by keenride View Post
    Have a trail crew hitting NMR tomorrow and we'll send a few guys up to cut them out.

If your crew has time and wants another project, there is a new tree down on Fletcher just up from Reservoir Rd. It's near the top of the last downhill run about 0.4 miles up.
  • 06-02-2017
    Adodero
    Quote:

Adodero, can you tell me where the trees are on Trace? Closer to the top or bottom? Have a trail crew hitting NMR tomorrow and we'll send a few guys up to cut them out.

I don't have detailed info or I'd have reported them, sorry :( I can tell you they are both after the initial downhill and in that sortof climb up the middle. Both are on pedaling sections, that's about as much as I can help with right now, sorry.
  • 06-02-2017
    Adodero
    There is also a tree down on Bear Branch, at the bottom, near the horse camp / parking lot.
  • 06-02-2017
    keenride
    Thanks for the info. We should be able to clear them all tomorrow!
  • 06-02-2017
    Banjopickin
    Quote:

The ones on trace are after the second DH.. You can ride over them pretty easy.

The rest I pushed out of the way last night so its all good...

The trees down on Laurel are massive and theres plenty to keep a chainsaw busy on Slate Rock too...
  • 06-02-2017
    2bfluid
    The trees on Laurel will also get taken care of...
  • 06-12-2017
    Timothy G. Parrish
    Several trees down on Vinyard Gap. 6 or 7 with many limbs/branches. Some barely passable. Riverside and Bradley to Squirrel are now covered in crusher run which makes riding much better. Drainage has been improved greatly as well. Many of the difficult off camber rooty sections on Squirrel before the rocky section have been removed. :( Buckhorn to South Mills to Black Mountain and all of Turkey Pen is clear.

• 06-12-2017
    Adodero
    There is a very dangerous tree down on Davidson River trail. It is at head level and has several sharp, thick branch stubs (where branches broke off) pointing out of it that could easily hurt someone if they didn't stop in time. It's also around a blind corner and you don't see it until you are right up on top of it.

So BOLO if you are riding Davidson back to the hatchery.
  • 06-12-2017
    park baker
    Wait a minute. The off camber root sections have been removed? Are you saying the sections where the trail was falling away have been cleaned up and made proper, or have entire sections of rooty trail been chopped up and flattened?
  • 06-12-2017
    El34
    Quote:

There is a very dangerous tree down on Davidson River trail. It is at head level and has several sharp, thick branch stubs (where branches broke off) pointing out of it that could easily hurt someone if they didn't stop in time. It's also around a blind corner and you don't see it until you are right up on top of it.

Yep, when going down Davidson at high speeds, the tree is out of sight on a left bend. I know about it and so I am ready for it, but judging by the skid marks, many people are having to lock em up at the last minute
  • 06-12-2017
    El34
    Quote:

Originally Posted by park baker View Post
    Wait a minute. The off camber root sections have been removed? Are you saying the sections where the trail was falling away have been cleaned up and made proper, or have entire sections of rooty trail been chopped up and flattened?

I am curious about this also. I have not been on Squirrel in quite a while. Was there some re-routing done?
  • 06-12-2017
    Timothy G. Parrish
    Quote:

Yes. I'm not saying it was wrong to do so. I'm familiar with designing sustainable trails and what was done makes sense. Some of us will simply miss those sections.

• 06-12-2017
    Timothy G. Parrish
    Quote:

The falling away sections were made proper. A higher, flat line has been bench cut above or where the roots were.

• 06-17-2017
    2bfluid
    I rode Squirrel and think the work is a best case scenario. Minimalist but functional and kept the character. The trail wasn't completely reworked, just some of the spots where ride arounds and bench collapse was imminent.

If you ride Laurel Mtn or Squirrel please be gentle with the new work, it hasn't seen much traffic and it has been getting pounded by storms.

Also note that the work is fresh and it will age quickly. It won't feel pristine for long.
  • 06-17-2017
    Adodero
    Quote:

This tree has been cleaned up! Thanks to whoever went out and spent the time to do it, it was just a matter of time before someone hurt themselves on it given it's location and the daggers sticking out of it.
  • 06-19-2017
    Banjopickin
    Thanks to who ever did the trail work on Laurel Mtn. Looks great!
  • 06-19-2017
    2bfluid
    Pisgah Area SORBA hired Terra Incognita to do the work on Laurel Mtn.
  • 06-19-2017
    Banjopickin
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 2bfluid View Post
    Pisgah Area SORBA hired Terra Incognita to do the work on Laurel Mtn.

Good to know... I thought it was volunteer work.

Wonder why they didnt clear the two large trees blocking the trail?