Printable View

• 10-16-2013
    El34
    Ok thanks
    Just got back from a night ride
    A buddy of mine said he got nailed there a couple days ago
  • 10-26-2013
    ajzagel
    Anyone ridden Butter Gap since it opened for the season?

Rode Cove Creek and Daniel Ridge a few weeks back and was shocked by the erosion and mud left over from the summer rains.
  • 10-26-2013
    supercusty
    FYI butter is not seasonal just cat gap at the bottom. You can always take longbranch out. I rode them all last week and they are fine including Daniels and cove creek so I'm not sure what you are referring to.
  • 10-26-2013
    El34
    I rode Butter Wednesday night (10/23/13) with lights
    The top part of butter is worse this year from the huge rains in July and August but no difference on the lower flatter sections
    The roots are more exposed on the top of Butter when you first drop in

It's been really dry lately, so no real mud issues on any of the trails in this part of Pisgah that I have ridden
    That's including the pink beds and pink beds connector over to the gauging station (476), which I rode on Sunday
    And also North slope and all the trails across the road, which I did a night ride on recently

The trails are in excellent condition as of 10/26/13
    The paved roads are choked with leaf lookers, but off road is fine
  • 01-07-2014
    ridn29s
    All the trails are cold and frozen. Just in case anyone was wondering....
  • 01-07-2014
    El34
    LOL, yes, it was 1 at my house this morning in Pisgah so everything is rock hard out there in the forest

Climbing up clawhammer feels like you are riding on a concrete surface.

Most of the trails are dry right now though because of the very low humidity air we have had for a week or so
  • 01-07-2014
    kjlued
    Frozen dirt = good traction
  • 01-10-2014
    jn35646
    Some fun sheets of ice when barreling down lower black mtn...just keep the bike pointed straight :)
  • 01-10-2014
    El34
    yeah, I rode up from the parking lot on wednesday. Lots of ice sheets on the lower part of Blk Mtn.

The back side of North slope along the river had some major ice sheets
  • 01-10-2014
    Logover
    It is muddy in Bent Creek already.
  • 01-22-2014
    plume
    Last week both Alexander Park and Richmond Hill were mud fests. Alexander was actually the better of the two by just a little. With the colder weather setting in trails will of course freeze, but as soon it starts to heave again I believe all trails will need some time to heal. Ride accordingly.
  • 01-29-2014
    kt42
    Looking to head up to Pisgah to take advantage of the warmish weather this weekend (2/1-2/2). Anybody know how much precipitation they got up there and what trail conditions to expect?
  • 01-29-2014
    jn35646
    Couple inches of snow laying on Brevard now. I'd expect slop for trails
  • 01-29-2014
    El34
    The trails will be soft once the snow melts, which it started to do today on the sunny spots. shady areas will take a couple days to melt
  • 01-29-2014
    kt42
    Thanks everyone. Looks like it's skatepark for me then this weekend.
  • 01-30-2014
    El34
    I still go out in loose conditions. I just go slower so as to not rip up the trails or fling mud. Or I will do loops that have way more gravel road than trails.

Also Dupont is probably way less muddy than Pisgah since it is way sandier at Dupont
  • 01-30-2014
    kjlued
    Yeah, there will be trails that are ok to ride but if you are coming from out of town there is probably a better choice of weekends to choose.

Also, if you really want to choose a great time to ride up here this time of year, I highly recommend picking a weekend that it will be in the mid 20's to low 30's and the trails stay frozen. Traction is unbelievable, you have the trails mostly to yourself and there will be little wear no matter what the previous days brought.
  • 02-02-2014
    tallpaul
    I went running at bent creek yesterday and it was an over run mess. are there any dry trails? how's mills river or squirrel?
  • 02-02-2014
    sasquatch on 1206
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tallpaul View Post
    I went running at bent creek yesterday and it was an over run mess. are there any dry trails? how's mills river or squirrel?

No nothing is dry.
  • 02-02-2014
    kjlued
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tallpaul View Post

I am pretty sure it snowed everywhere in the area.
  • 02-02-2014
    El34
    Just got back from a fish hatchery area ride.

Stayed on gravel roads as much as possible.

Started at 8:45 and it was in the 30's and so the roads were still hard packed and rolling uphill was very fast, but you could see deep muddy bike tracks on 475B from when the road thaws and are soft later in the day.

475B up to Seniard gate
    left on Seniard, down seniard to 225
    right on 225
    225 connector
    A secret bypass trail down to the gravel road that divides Daniel ridge trail in half
    left down to cove creek campground
    Davidson river back to hatchery
    By the time I got to Davidson river trail it was thawed and complete slop

had my two dogs with me and so, had to make it a good length that they can handle
    needles to say their bellies were coated in mud
  • 02-02-2014
    Snototter
    2 Attachment(s)
    I recall someone saying "Tracks on wet trails are not a problem! They don't cause or escalate tread erosion. The soil remains on the tread. It's the trail that causes the problem, not users and definitely not a single day of(maybe) heavier than average use!"

No worries everyone the rain will wash it all away tonight and tomorrow.

Attachment 866919

Attachment 866921
  • 02-02-2014
    El34
    The rain moves loose soil from all sort of sources and it also compacts soil!

Frost heave is a natural force and there is lots of it everywhere
    Frost heave moves soil upward in a way wider tract than a bike tire.

So soil moves all the time.
    If a trail is that soft and it collects water, then it will be subject to frost heave, footprints, bike tracks, horses, you name it.

A hard packed, well drained trail does not have all these issues
  • 02-02-2014
    Snototter
    Quote:

Originally Posted by El34 View Post
    The rain moves loose soil from all sort of sources and it also compacts soil!

Frost heave is a natural force and there is lots of it everywhere
    Frost heave moves soil upward in a way wider tract than a bike tire.

So soil moves all the time.
    If a trail is that soft and it collects water, then it will be subject to frost heave, footprints, bike tracks, horses, you name it.

A hard packed, well drained trail does not have all these issues

You are correct about the effects of natural soil movement, it happens. But if you knew trails were going thru this process, with the conditions the way it was this weekend, would you still feel good about riding said trails?

Those are pictures of climb up(is not flat so it does not collect water) Hardtimes connector, it does not get any more hard packed than that.
  • 02-02-2014
    El34
    I don't know about riding wherever those pictures were taken, but each trail and each trail section has it's own character.
    If there's plenty of organic matter on the trail surface, it will be subject to becoming muck whether you ride over it or not.
    The best solution is to make sure wet spots get drained and do not become collection ponds
  • 02-03-2014
    El34
    It's probably better to discuss this stuff in another board
  • 02-03-2014
    Snototter
    Quote:

It's probably better to discuss this stuff in another board

True but this is about a trail(s) in Pisgah. :)
  • 02-03-2014
    El34
    Yes, but current trail conditions, not trail impact or trail building
  • 02-16-2014
    cbeach
    I'll be in the area for the next couple of days and was wondering what shape the Pisgah gravel roads (479, 5000, 1208) are in? Still a lot of snow?
  • 02-16-2014
    jerry68
    With the warm weather coming, and the rain, there will probably be no snow, but everything will be sloppy wet.
  • 02-17-2014
    El34
    The snow is still present in many places and still deep in the places that get no sun

In the mornings it has a hard frozen top
    In the afternoons when it warms up is is slushy

I rode/pushed up 475b from the fish hatchery yesterday
    It was an adventure
    No one had been there yet and it was very tough riding

I turned around up near 225 gate and rode back down 475b
  • 02-17-2014
    FatTireGoose
    Quote:

The snow is still present in many places and still deep in the places that get no sun

In the mornings it has a hard frozen top
    In the afternoons when it warms up is is slushy

I rode/pushed up 475b from the fish hatchery yesterday
    It was an adventure
    No one had been there yet and it was very tough riding

I turned around up near 225 gate and rode back down 475b

Similar story for me this morning.

I got out early enuf to fool the Freeze-Thaw Gods, or so I thought. I rode the 'little m' in Pisgah and it was everything from frozen slush to muddled yuck to crunchy splooge. I got in maybe one or two whoo-hoo's coming down Thrift but that was it. Gonna be awhile 'fore any of it is ride-able again. Dupont's probably the same.
  • 02-17-2014
    El34
    Yeah, yesterday I was trying to figure out what the heck would be rideable. The best I could come up with was gravel roads. NOPE!!!!

On 475B in the shady areas, there is still up to 6 inches of snow with a crust on top

But it was a good workout for sure and my two dogs had a blast
  • 02-20-2014
    El34
  • 02-20-2014
    El34
  • 02-22-2014
    joncmack
    How are things looking up there for a potential ride tomorrow for someone coming from Charlotte?
  • 02-22-2014
    joncmack
    How are things looking up there for a potential ride tomorrow for someone coming from Charlotte?
  • 02-22-2014
    kjlued
    From what I hear Bent Creek is still a muddy mess.
    Pisgah I imagine it depends on the trails.
    DuPont is pretty good on the Lake Imaging side but can't speak for the rest.

Where are you wanting to ride?
  • 02-22-2014
    El34
    I was out Wednesday and it was fine.

A bit soupy where there was allot of rotting leaves and such on the trail and the water could not drain well, but not horrible at all.

I just did a short route with my dogs, all I had time for

Up black mountain from parking lot, thrift cove, grassy, upper sycamore, back to parking lot.

It rained Friday night, so the trails have had some more water since I was out Wednesday

I'm heading out in the morning anyway.
  • 02-22-2014
    plume
    hoping to ride pisgah tomorrow. any updates?
  • 02-22-2014
    jn35646
    Did plenty riding from clawhammer to S Mills and squirrel. For the most part it was great. A couple sloppy spots but few and far between. Enjoy the trails
  • 02-22-2014
    plume
    thanks! squirrel is on the list!
  • 02-22-2014
    FatTireGoose
    From the Hatchery today. Cove Creek, Daniels Ridge, Long Branch and Butter...all good.
  • 02-22-2014
    pagan696
    thanks for the update FTG. headed up early in the am for a nice sunny day on the bike in Pisgah
  • 02-23-2014
    mikeridesabike
    Dupont was darn near perfect today.

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk
  • 02-23-2014
    pagan696
    1st time for our group to hit squirrel gap as an out and back (parked at turkey pen lot, s mills to Mullinax to squirrel to turn around at horse cove). We had a great time. trail was in excellent shape. Weather was unreal for late feb. 70deg in short sleeves and shorts, can't beat that for wNC riding.
  • 02-24-2014
    El34
    Yes, it was awesome out there yesterday.
    Saw lots of riders out and about

Everything I rode was perfect.

Horse stables, Clawhammer, down buckhorn, mills river to gauging station/476, pink beds connector, pink beds, back to horse stables via white pines road
  • 02-26-2014
    c_mack9
    This is good to see. I'm thinking about making a trip there the first week of April. It's cold and muddy here in KY, no trails will be ridable for quite a while.
  • 02-26-2014
    El34
    It can change from sloppy to great here in just a few days.

The snow had just melted and then it rained but three days later all was good again
  • 03-18-2014
    MI X-Cal 6
    I'm planning on heading to Bent Creek the first weekend of April (4-7). Please keep me updated on trail conditions for planning/packing.