Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

Mods: How bout some similar stickies for other areas?

dupont, bent creek, kitsuma, etc? they seem to get the most questions. it would help the out of towners as well when asking where to ride after a rain.

another sticky option would be "where to ride"....we seem to get many "i'll be in wnc from x through x, where can i go?" threads.

drunken pirate
    More rain last night and still unseasonably warm temperatures mean lots of wet trails.

I would stick to ridge line trails and avoid north slopes. Pisgah dries fast so don't let a little rain scare you away from riding.

Due to brand new machine cut tread Fletcher Creek and either end of Squirrel Gap should be avoided. Powerline and Hardtimes Connector in Bent Creek should also be avoided.
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

endorphin junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by driftwood View Post
    Powerline and Hardtimes Connector in Bent Creek should also be avoided.
    Same with the lower part of Lower Sidehill (between Boyd Branch and Laurel Branch Rd.), and Pine Tree where trail work was recently done.
    "Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."
    T.S. Eliot

mtbr member
    Current trail conditions are why I own a road bike.

That is all.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I plan on making another trip this weekend! It looks like its going to rain down there this friday! With the warm weather and no freezing do you think they will be ok Saturday Morning?

drunken pirate
    Quote Originally Posted by turbolsvt View Post
    I plan on making another trip this weekend! It looks like its going to rain down there this friday! With the warm weather and no freezing do you think they will be ok Saturday Morning?
    Define 'ok'.

It is very wet here. I ran Black on Saturday and even it was wet. My shoes were sliding all over the place and I felt bad about running it.

That being said should not discourage you from coming here and riding. Just pick your trails carefully: stick to the ridges or the Trace Ridge area which is about to be logged into oblivion and have fun! I would avoid Bent Creek and Dupont at all cost (out of respect to the trails).

Pisgah is a temperate rain forest. I'm gonna ride tomorrow - mostly gravel - but I'm still gonna ride
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

logging?

hey drift-
    whats up with the logging? i hadn'tseen anything about that. is trace going to be closed? any details are appreciated. damn it!

b

drunken pirate
    Quote Originally Posted by hosercom View Post
    hey drift-
    whats up with the logging? i hadn'tseen anything about that. is trace going to be closed? any details are appreciated. damn it!

b
    I really don't know about the logging. I was just being bitter

To keep the thread topical I'll report that as of 1-25 I rode Maxwell > Black > Thrift Cove and it was all fine. A little soft but not bad at all. Another inch or two of rain tonight though. So, for anyone wondering if it is worth the drive this weekend I would say:

I would stick to ridge line trails and avoid north slopes. Pisgah dries fast so don't let a little rain scare you away from riding.

Due to brand new machine cut tread Fletcher Creek and either end of Squirrel Gap should be avoided. Powerline and Hardtimes Connector and lower part of Lower Sidehill (between Boyd Branch and Laurel Branch Rd.), and Pine Tree where trail work was recently done in Bent Creek should also be avoided.
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    So how much rain fell in PNF yesterday/last night? Planning to hit Laurel/Pilot/Squirrel/Slate Rock tomorrow 11'ish.
    Everybody should believe in something...I BELIEVE I'll have another BEER!!!!

ohhman
    Quote Originally Posted by tnmtnbkr View Post
    So how much rain fell in PNF yesterday/last night? Planning to hit Laurel/Pilot/Squirrel/Slate Rock tomorrow 11'ish.
    1"+ of rain. I would stay away from both ends of squirrel.... Stick between Horse Cove and Laurel Creek.

Thread Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by salmansp View Post
    1"+ of rain. I would stay away from both ends of squirrel.... Stick between Horse Cove and Laurel Creek.
    +1 on that. You should be fine Laurel > Pilot > Horse Cove > Squirrel. I'll be out there Sunday probably.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Trace

Trace was in great shape today- just a touch mushy in the ruts that are right after the 90 degree left about 25% of the way down. On a sadder note, I lost my glasses, see posting below.
    Thanks.
    Tim

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Trail conditions couldn't have been better yesterday w/ the exception of Laurel Creek. It was literally a creek from Squirrel to Bradley. Otherwise, couldn't have asked for a better day in Jan. w/ short sleeves and sunshine.
    Everybody should believe in something...I BELIEVE I'll have another BEER!!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Hi all,
    looking for a little guidance for my first visit to the heralded, golden lands of Pisgah next week....
    From business trip to Nashville TN, I'm then driving towards Asheville NC for a couple days R&R (aka gorging myself on singletrack ) What can I expect for trail conditions, and seasonal weather conditions?
    Should I come prepared for lots of mud?

Also -- what trails are not to be missed for someone with only two or three days in Pisgah?!? (I dig both flowy singletrack and technical rocky stuff, basically love it all -- climbing included -- though I don't be needing any drops over 2-3 feet to get my fat-tire satisfactified-groove on ).

I don't know if there's a better thread to post this in, please advise if so! Thanks!!!

drunken pirate
    Trails are good to go with the same notable exceptions as mentioned above.

There are plenty of threads with trail suggestions but with only two or three days I would try to hit Laurel > Pilot, Black Mtn., Bennett Gap....
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    How is Dupont?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    How is Dupont?
    Good to go. Look out for closings around Guion Farm. Be gentle if you ride Wilkie (near cornmill shoals access), it's rideable, but still a little loose from the work this past weekend.

Also, we're expecting rain this weekend.

"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
    How is Dupont?
    Was out for almost 3 hrs last night...it's fine. The closures around Guion are a non issue...just access Ridgeline via Hooker Creek...I like that route better anyway.
    "Big Gulps huh?...Allllriggghhht....Welp, See ya later!"

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Trails are good to go with the same notable exceptions as mentioned above.

There are plenty of threads with trail suggestions but with only two or three days I would try to hit Laurel > Pilot, Black Mtn., Bennett Gap....
    Thanks for the suggestions driftwood! I'll be hoping to stay high n dry, trying out some good stuff. as I mentioned in a couple other threads, please let me know if there are any other group rides this thursday friday saturday, or if anyones up for joining me anywhere in western north carolina or eastern tennessee- have car - am (usually ;-) a skilled rider in good shape - here to visit friends and RYDE!

Cheers!

drunken pirate
    With temperatures once again dropping below freezing the freeze/thaw cycle is in full effect once again so try and ride when the ground is still frozen...

I was up on Laurel Mtn. this morning and other than minor accumulation of snow above 4000' the trail was good to go!

Winter is on, get it while you can
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

Brant-C.
    With temperatures once again dropping below freezing the freeze/thaw cycle is in full effect once again so try and ride when the ground is still frozen...

I was up on Laurel Mtn. this morning and other than minor accumulation of snow above 4000' the trail was good to go!

Winter is on, get it while you can
    hi driftwood. there are 5 of us coming from illinois april 21 weekend. i hear the trails are so steep the we don't have to worry about the rain. can you shed some light on this? thanks!
    i've also been reading your blog from your link here on mtbr.com.
    I just like riding my mountain bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Everytime I bring my bike to work with me for the week (I live in Columbus Ohio but work in Cincinnati Ohio) to head down to Pisgah for the weekend they change the weather from sunny to rain

drunken pirate
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaronongan View Post
    hi driftwood. there are 5 of us coming from illinois april 21 weekend. i hear the trails are so steep the we don't have to worry about the rain. can you shed some light on this? thanks!
    Pisgah is a temperate rain forest and as such rain can be the norm. Many of the trails are very steep and do drain extremal well, some of the trails (especially in Bent Creek and Dupont) do not drain as well and can remain wet after rain.

I would not worry about rain. Come on down and be prepared to ride, rain or shine
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    That's not true. SOME trails drain well, others can seep and stay wet for a week after a good soaking rain.

You can't plan your vacation around a weather forecast, so the thing to do (rain or shine, really) is to stop in at one or both of the LBS in Brevard, buy a map, and ask them to sit down with you and draw up a few loops. Only folks who ride the trails a lot are going to know what is going to be good to go after weather moves through.

Thread Killer
    Tee-hee. It's probably too soon for me to gloat about this (it's only been 2 years since I moved here), but beating up on Flatlanders is sort of a hobby 'round here.

Seriously: Don't sweat it. Like as not, you'll be able to ride something -- this isn't Palos, thank FSM. Worst-case scenario, you ride gravel -- even then, you'll have an awesome time, since the terrain here is unlike anything you'll find within 200 miles of Chicago. Maybe even twice that distance.

Or "worst" worst-case, you hang out at the Hub and join the drinking club.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast