Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
    Pisgah-Pale-Alien
    Quote Originally Posted by El34 View Post
    I was on Cove creek trail yesterday.

There are 3 very large trees across the trail and one that you can duck under.

I GPS'd the locations for the forest service
    I attached a zip file to this post with a .gpx file inside
    There are four waypoints in the .gpx file
    Two FS sawers were cutting these trees as we rode up CC today. They started at the top, we told them most were near the bottom between the 1st and 2nd bridge coming up, don't know if they got to all of them.
    Pisgah Forest NC

Carbon8er
    Going up CC, the first one was on a right hand curve where you had to climb through all the limbs and debris.

Then there were a cluster of two together right after that
    Just the large trunks across the trail
    Those were the main problem trees

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Adodero View Post
    How are things looking on Middle / Lower Black?

I haven't been up there since April and was thinking about riding it, but I heard it's gotten a lot more washed out and difficult. Any truth to that? Trying to stay within my limits
    Middle Black is a little more washed out than usual but about nothing significantly more challenging. As El34 mentioned there's a nasty tree down between the stairs and Lower Black intersection. I think you'll see it in plenty of time if you're looking ahead. Lower Black is in perfect condition. The big wash outs that have made significant changes to the trail are on Upper Black, between Turkey Pen intersection and Pressley Gap.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by gt7152b View Post
    Middle Black is a little more washed out than usual but about nothing significantly more challenging. As El34 mentioned there's a nasty tree down between the stairs and Lower Black intersection. I think you'll see it in plenty of time if you're looking ahead. Lower Black is in perfect condition. The big wash outs that have made significant changes to the trail are on Upper Black, between Turkey Pen intersection and Pressley Gap.
    Thanks for the info.

I rode upper/middle/lower and I think the tree has been cleared, you can see where it was chopped up and I didn't have to stop or dismount to get around a tree. It's obviously loose ground with all the woodchips, but at least the tree is gone. I don't remember the exact spot I saw it cut up, so I'm assuming it's the tree you were talking about. There was a tree that appears to have split and part of it fell over the hike a bike section, but I don't know if that was new or had been there.

Lower ran great, no issues there. It was leafy in sections, but a well defined path is there and I didn't have any issues with traction due to the leaves. Some of the rocks seem a little more exposed than I remember them being, but nothing horrible, just a little chunkier and I could be remembering wrong.

Middle was a bit looser than I remember it being before, the larger rocks that are on the trail and were seated into the dirt have come loose and were moving around as I rode over them ("ker klunk!"). There were also a bunch of babyheads on the trail. It was really dusty, but didn't seem much more washed out except in one or two sections. I personally wouldn't bomb down it out of fear of the loose rocks, but it didn't seem overly rutted out, only a few sections seemed a little more washed out. Like you said, nothing that added too much difficulty over what it was before, although it was hard for me to gauge due to my accidental upper black that wore me out.

Upper...I took a wrong turn and ended up on upper, it was my first time up there, so I don't have anything to compare it to. It was loose like middle black in terms of rocks and dirt. Some of the drops in the middle of the ruts seemed pretty washed out, but I have no idea if that's new or if it's been that way.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    5000 from NMR Recreation Area was gated off to vehicular traffic today. Logging the signs would suggest but I don't really have any more info....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithified View Post
    5000 from NMR Recreation Area was gated off to vehicular traffic today. Logging the signs would suggest but I don't really have any more info....
    The USFS Ranger told me that it would be about a month or two for them to finish logging up Bear Branch area. Still open to bike, horse and foot traffic though

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Banjopickin View Post
    The USFS Ranger told me that it would be about a month or two for them to finish logging up Bear Branch area. Still open to bike, horse and foot traffic though
    When did it start do you know? I've been a giant turd bucket as of late, not riding so I only noticed heading in there to fish! Ha

mtbr member
    Actually I believe that Wash Creek Rd (5000) is closed to all traffic at this time. But all of the trails are open. Time to climb Lower Trace Ridge and Spencer if you haven't...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    He/she who works the trails does so in their own image.

Speed just slows me down...

mtbr member
    It started last week. 225 over by Cove Creek is open for vehicular traffic

mtbr member
    They started grading and what not up bear branch a whiiiiile back. They graded it very nicely and put a bunch of stone down. I rode my CX bike up as far as I could go and found the trucks, etc. close to the end of the road. I was told a month or so but who knows how long it will actually take.

USFS never told us that we couldnt use 5000 but if it says on a sign I wont take the chance. Gotta come in from the PKWY down 5000 (that side is still open to foot/bike traffic I assume) or get wet feet starting out from the campground. Really wish there was a dry crossing there since its nice to start a ride on singletrack up Lower Trace...

mtbr member
    banjo thanks to the severe lack of rain in our parts, I've been able to pedal across the lower trace/mills river crossing without getting my feet wet ("ratcheting") for some weeks now.
    I'm planning on riding from BC gap tonight, if there's a sign saying the road is closed to all traffic I'll pedal up the parkway and walk in on upper upper trace...wait, no, how will I get back?
    Anyway, I'll post if there's a sign saying closed to all traffic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Whoa whoa cool your jets duders. Sign very clearly said open to foot bike and horse travel. A clear path around the 5000 gate. You be all good in da hood.

mtbr member
    Glad to hear it.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910