mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Pisgah Trail Conditions?

Coming up to PNF from ATL on Saturday morning and staying till monday night. We are bringing the mountain and road bikes. We planned on doing one day on the road and 2 days on the mountainbike (not going to Dupont). Could anyone post conditions if they happen to go out and ride in the next few days? You dont have to list specific trails, I just need a general idea. I dont know how much snow you guys got but if you guys got hammered we may bag the trip till another time. If we did the road thing saturday, sunday and monday might be ok but as mentioned, I dont know how much snow you guys had. Thanks in advance!

pronounced may-duh
    I got a ton of snow at my house. It's been melting very slowly and there is about 4 inches still on my lawn. Today is supposed to be warmer. If the trails are anything like my lawn then my guess is it will all melt in the next few days and then the trails will be a horrible muddy mess for the weekend.

mtbr member

Put it off

I work within DuPont and it is awful. Sky Valley Road has seen little change, and the drive to and from work was treacherous. No change from when it first snowed, other than becoming icier. After making it up Pinnacle yesterday, wouldn't you know that I got stuck in my parking space. The comedy of life. Anyway, trails are still under six inches, and I think that the same would hold true for upper elevations in Pisgah. If it melts by the weekend then it would just be a muddy mess.

mtbr member
    It may be time to go over to the dark side this weekend and ride the road.

pronounced may-duh
    The crazy thing is the coming weekend weather is absolutely perfect for camping and riding. Highs near 70. Lows around 50! If that forecast holds true it will be the warmest weekend we've had all year. My guess is fair weather riders (mostly locals) will be out in mass numbers and the trails will take a terrible beating. It's gonna be a packed parking lot a Bent Creek this weekend. It's the perfect conditions for trail damage. C'est la vie!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Ok guys, thanks for the quick responses. The last thing I want to do is ride muddy trails. Not only does it destroy the trails it destroys your bike. Why people dont seem to understand that is beyond me. Glad I checked with you guys, although 3 days on the roadie riding the BRP doesnt sound bad at all but of course there is probably gonna be some slick spots on that road due to its elevation

Big Mac
    I'am gonna try to spend some time on gravel @ BC today. It seems that with the pending warm and sunny days ahead, that maybe this weekend will be a good time to get to know some gravel. Maybe not, though. Depends on alot of things I reckon. We'll see. I'd say the BRP will have lots of slick spots, but at least you will not have to share it with cars!

mtbr member
    Does anyone know how much of the Parkway is clear?

Drinker w/ Riding Problem
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeridesabike
    It may be time to go over to the dark side this weekend and ride the road.

Issaqueena Sunday Ride then some trail work!

mtbr member

In my car

I just picked up a Blue RD1 road bike and i will be on the asphalt trails all wk-end.
    Perfect riding weather,just not in the dirt...

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by D.F.L.
    Does anyone know how much of the Parkway is clear?
    I haven't been up there, but I hear the teleskiing is better than the cycling. At least around the 215/Shining Rock areas. So prolly not much as of right now.

Big Mac
    Bent Creek gravel situation is good to go. At least at night. I think that's the key. Ride @ night.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Anything above 4000 ft. that is not south facing still has 4+ inches of snow on it. Lower elevation trails that are on ridge lines or that are predominantly south facing should be good to go by this weekend. This wind and warmer temps is good for the trails.

If anyone wants a work out go pedal up the gravel to Bent Creek Gap. What is normally a mind numbing gravel grind is now a slog fest in inches of mud. Really bad is the only way to describe it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    What kind of tires should I bring for the Blue Ridge Parkway?
    Should I bring my carbon road bike or aluminum?
    Do I need a triple or is a double OK?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by teamplayr
    Ok guys, thanks for the quick responses. The last thing I want to do is ride muddy trails. Not only does it destroy the trails it destroys your bike. Why people dont seem to understand that is beyond me. Glad I checked with you guys, although 3 days on the roadie riding the BRP doesnt sound bad at all but of course there is probably gonna be some slick spots on that road due to its elevation
    there's a million different great road routes beyond doing out and backs on the parkway. look into the blue ridge cycling club website. there's at least 40 routes to d/l and enjoy. there's not a thing wrong in the world with spending some time on the skinnies. Just got back from a lovely one myself... makes the dirt feel even better when you get on it.
    My one says BRAP!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Getalife
    the parkway is smooth as glass so bring what you feel most comfortable on. If you have a carbon bike, why not ride it? Triples are for touring bikes.
    My one says BRAP!

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by Getalife
    Bring the carbon pugsley, with a triple, and studded tires, you'll be fine and dandy!