mtbr member
    May 2006

Pisgah trail advice needed

I'm planning on making a weekend trip out to the Pisgah area, and would like some input on which of the many trails to ride. I'm most interested in difficult/challenging trails from the stand point of fast down hill sections, jumps, technical difficulty, etc. I realize that this is the mountains, but I'm not looking for a 10 mile climb.

Can anyone provide suggestions? Favorite trails?

Thanks in advance.

XC Champion
    May 2006
    You may want to get a map of Pisgah available at any local bike shop. Trace Ridge comes to mind for me when thinking about steep downhill sections. Actually, I made the mistake of going down trace ridge and then up laurel mountain (I think it's called) to get back to the top. You should do opposite. You can find those and lots of others on the map. Alternately, you can get the book "Off the Beaten Path."

pronounced may-duh
    Kitzuma?

If you think trace is steep then ride down Spencer gap from the top of trace towards the reservoir.

Black mtn. trail is black diamond in my book.

Avery creek trail is good.

But you will need the book and the map

pronounced may-duh
    double post

Now howd that happen

aeb
    mtbr member
    Jun 2005

You gotta pay for the downhill

You are definately going to have to climb if you want to ride the best downhills around here.

Suggestions:

1. Up Laurel Mtn and down Pilot Rock

2. Trace Ridge to Spencer Branch (You can make this easier by riding up Wash Creek Rd. to Spencer and avoid the climb up Trace)

3. Find a way to ride down heartbreak ridge. (It can be done with a shuttle, but any self respecting rider would never go there.)

Do It Yourself
    Bent Creek or keep driving out to Tsali.
    Long Live Long Rides

XC Champion
    May 2006
    Ok...I meant down Spencer Branch, not Laurel Mountain in my previous post.

Anyway, I went down Trace and up Spencer Branch last time and it kind of sucked coming out. My advice is to go down Spencer Branch and up Trace (or the other one mentioned before). That's what I was trying to say...yeah...

pronounced may-duh
    or for an easier climbing experience and a longer downhill run: climb up Walsh Creek rd, over on Spencer and then down on Trace Ridge.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    greens lick (i think), wolf branch (watch out its trail number 666) and ingles gap trails offer sweet downhills. But you need to climb to get to the top, but they are well worth it. You can ride out from lake powohatan campground. Thats what i did last week. Never caught more air in my life. Not surprising sincei usually "mountain" bike in south florida.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks for all the suggestions!