mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Pisgah SORBA workday in DuPont Sat. Jan 25th

Pisgah Area SORBA DuPont trail workday- Sat. Jan. 25th 10AM
    Join us for our first trail work day for the New Year in DuPont State Recreational Forest. We will be working on Pine Tree Trail with a range of trail work activities (site line corridor improvements, water management, general tread work, and some rockwork). No experience is needed; we will have trained project leaders to direct the work. You do not have to be a PAS member to attend and contribute. All needed tools will be provided, but if you have shovel or pair of loppers please bring such.
    Sat. Jan. 25th 10AM
    Meet at the Corn Mill Shoals parking lot off Cascade Lake Road. We will have a very short walk into the worksite.
    The plan is work for several hours leaving good time in the afternoon for an after trail work ride.
    Please bring:
    Water, lunch and snacks
    Good footwear, glasses, work gloves and clothing in layers to allow adjustments as the weather warms up.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Woody-
    Will Sat's workday still go on if the overnight temps are down around 10F?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Right now the forecast says 17 for the low Friday night and a high of 42 for Sat. with lots of sun. So yes, we will work. Dress warm.

Quote Originally Posted by timdvm View Post
    Woody-
    Will Sat's workday still go on if the overnight temps are down around 10F?

banned
    Aug 2013
    Why schedule a workday on a race weekend? There are very few winter races,so why the conflicting date? I'm talking about the ICYCLE race.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch on 1206 View Post
    Why schedule a workday on a race weekend? There are very few winter races,so why the conflicting date? I'm talking about the ICYCLE race.
    Because People that race don't do trail work. Haven't you read any of the other threads on here.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    Right now the forecast says 17 for the low Friday night and a high of 42 for Sat. with lots of sun. So yes, we will work. Dress warm.
    Maybe I spoke too soon. I will go out this afternoon to check current conditions to see if/how much the ground is frozen and report back. If the drains that I had hope to clear are frozen, then we can not dig. Sandy soil (as found on this trail) tends to not freeze as much as clay based soils, so still possible we could work. Stay tuned.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Tim,

Yes, the workday will go as planned, meet at 10AM. I visited the trail this afternoon and though there were some areas where the tread was frozen, many areas could be worked and I believe we can be productive. I had a trail tool and dug in a number of places for my test, and indeed the sandy loam soil is going to be OK to work. Dress warm.

banned
    Aug 2013
    Tim,

Yes, the workday will go as planned, meet at 10AM. I visited the trail this afternoon and though there were some areas where the tread was frozen, many areas could be worked and I believe we can be productive. I had a trail tool and dug in a number of places for my test, and indeed the sandy loam soil is going to be OK to work. Dress warm.
    No response to my comment?

Rogue Exterminator
    No response to my comment?
    Because the majority of people in the area won't be attending the race. In fact, the number of mountain bikers in the area that will attend the race is a very small and probably won't affect the number of trail workers that will show up.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I only check one schedule when I decide to host a workday, my schedule. I can't host workdays when I am not in town or have some other personal conflict. I do not check the race schedule in deciding when to hold a workday, there is always something going on somewhere. We have always had folks show up for every workday I have ever led in DuPont, and if anything our volunteer support continues to grow.

If there is a specific day/time that you would be available to come help with trails in DuPont, post up the date and I will try and schedule something if I am available (off to AZ for a week in Feb. for some work).

Enjoy the ICYCLE Race, have always heard good things about that event.

banned
    Aug 2013
    I only check one schedule when I decide to host a workday, my schedule. I can't host workdays when I am not in town or have some other personal conflict. I do not check the race schedule in deciding when to hold a workday, there is always something going on somewhere. We have always had folks show up for every workday I have ever led in DuPont, and if anything our volunteer support continues to grow.

If there is a specific day/time that you would be available to come help with trails in DuPont, post up the date and I will try and schedule something if I am available (off to AZ for a week in Feb. for some work).

Enjoy the ICYCLE Race, have always heard good things about that event.
    Thanks for this comment it explains a lot.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I should have mentioned that I really had no idea Icycle was going on this weekend. Nothing about that posted here on MTBR, and this is the only place I would garner info on other things going on in the race world. Looks like a great day for Icycle, it certainly will be living up to it's namesake today.

A bit cool right now, but I think it will be a grand day to go dig in the dirt.

Rogue Exterminator
    I am guessing we won't be doing much digging today but it will be fun trying. lol

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Guess you can now eat your own words with your own work as the proof in the pudding. Good day, thanks for coming out. A full work report later today with some photos (after a hot tub soak, lunch, and maybe a nap).

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    We had a great turn out of 11 brave folks today for a workday in DuPont State Recreational Forest. The temps were 22 when we started and peaked out at 31 for the workday, but it seemed a nice work temp for most folks today. We worked on cleaning out drains and re-establishing water management on a section of Pine Tree Trail. DuPont is sandy loam in most places so normally pretty easy digging, but with all the cold recently (yesterday was -1 at my house near DuPont) the trail tread was frozen 1-2" thick in some places. The crew was pulling up chunks of soil that looked a bit like perfect flagstone rocks for armoring. Cold weather for the work and hard frozen ground was not stopping this group from its mission and everyone worked hard and the net results were awesome. A huge thanks to the following for coming out today in the cold: Mark, Kirt, David, Robin, Matt, Alex, Xavier, Jeremy, Andrew, and my good buddy Ed Sutton. Ed reported to the crew of a current Trail Dynamics project building 6 new miles of trail down in Hickory Nut Gorge on land owned by the town of Lake Lure. Lots of new riding opportunities popping up all over the place. Stay tuned, we will try and schedule another workday or two for Feb, maybe it will be warmer.
    Attached Images Attached Images          
    Last edited by Woodman; 01-25-2014 at 04:51 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    No, that is not a rock Robin is holding. That is a slab of frozen soil 2" thick.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Thanks for the hard work, y'all!

Rogue Exterminator
    Guess you can now eat your own words with your own work as the proof in the pudding. Good day, thanks for coming out. A full work report later today with some photos (after a hot tub soak, lunch, and maybe a nap).
    I don't know if I am eating my words but we did get a little more done than I figured.
    That being said, the frozen dirt for sure was a hinderance. Either way you slice it though, better show and get less done than to no show and get nothing done.

Rogue Exterminator
    BTW, the 2 kids (and I say kids only because they are almost half my age) were the most impressive. Not from here and are both here only til April. Neither brought their bikes but both still showed to make a difference. Major kudos.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Indeed, major props to Alex and Xavier. It was a great group of folks and I really enjoyed working with all.