Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Pisgah SORBA Big-Dig updates

Thought it would be good to have one thread here for updates on the Big Dig instead of weeding though several threads.

Some rock got moved into place yesterday for the rock armoring above the upper bridge (new) location. All the rest of the needed rock will be moved into place this AM (Thur).

Word has the bridge materials who'll show up today at lunch and if so we will start prepping bridges (cutting stringers down to length, cutting deck boards down to right width) and hopefully moving some into place and then start digging the mud sills.

Machine work starts this AM so we should have some tread ready for finish work for volunteers.

Weather in the afternoons is a concern, bring rain gear and we hope to be able to be productive dodging thunder boomers.

If you are late to any scheduled event and no one is available to sign you in, we will do that up the hill. Please however grab a helmet and other PPE before heading up. For those whom do make it on time for any of the scheduled meeting times, please expect a safety briefing and then to be broken into different groups with specific tasks and crew leaders.

The support for the project thus far is huge, thanks to all for stepping up.

Please stay tuned here and Pisgah Area SORBA website and FB for updates. There are some special days developing sponsored by local shops. These are cook out and beer events. Will post up details when we know more.

mtbr member
    Lets get it on! I will be there every chance I get.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
    He/she who works the trails does so in their own image.

Speed just slows me down...

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    We had a slow start to the project this AM. Mobilization to the top with machines was slow, and I then had a major problem with my machine. Other than that, we get off and running. Some materials hauled, some machine work done, some rock armoring done, bridge mud sills starting to be ready fop stringers.

20+ volunteers showed up, thanks to all. See you Sat. that will be a big day.

mtbr member
    Pics? For us lurkers and long distance PAS supporters. Hoping to get out there the end of June for an 'up and over' Black Mtn and then some riding.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Today was a 13 hr day for me, no time to take photos. We will however post some here or on the PAS website after the weekend.

Support Pisgah Area Soba

VP Pisgah Area Sorba
    http://www.pisgahareasorba.org/

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    No rain today which was a plus to the crew working. A full day in the woods for 4 of us with a few coming out for a few hours. If none of the regular scheduled volunteer times don't work for your schedule, just come on out when it does fit your schedule and we can likely find some to do. This is a really big project and we need many hands.

It was a good day. Moved in some more rock for a long armored section, machine work happened, and the lower bridge got stringers into place and is basically ready for decking.

Expecting a good number of folks for tomorrow, and we should have some photos posted up after the weekend.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    A few photos from yesterday and the low bridge location.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Pisgah-Pale-Alien
    I hiked up and checked out the bridge work Woody, looks great. Best part was seeing the creek (with no name) find it's happy place again.
    Pisgah Forest NC

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Same location, at the end of the day today. Not bad progress. This bridge will be completed tomorrow, and will feature a wood on-ramp that my guess a few of you will use for a jump onto or to clear the bridge.

We pulled 3 old failed bridges out of the creek today.

Upper creek that had been choked with sediment got all cleaned out yesterday and is slowing free again. That crossing will feature a 16' bridge and a long section of rock armoring AKA rock garden leading to the bridge. Second bridge might also get finished tomorrow.

Big day tomorrow.

WNC Native
    Thanks for the pics & updates Woody, you guys are making some great progress. Working today, but plan to lend a hand on Sunday.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Maybe we will get to name this creek. How bout Happy Creek?

Quote Originally Posted by FatTireGoose View Post
    I hiked up and checked out the bridge work Woody, looks great. Best part was seeing the creek (with no name) find it's happy place again.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    See you then, thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky View Post
    Thanks for the pics & updates Woody, you guys are making some great progress. Working today, but plan to lend a hand on Sunday.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Bring back the Creek Gap!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Would you settle for a bridge with built in on ramp that can serve as a booter? That is what is being built.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusSommers View Post
    Bring back the Creek Gap!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quick recap from today (sat.) and more details and some photos in the AM.

20-25 folks out today, good solid crew. Rocks were slung into place, timbers were wrestled, folks added their own special touches and tread got finished behind machines. Got to see folks I have not seen in a very long time, and made many new friends.

I had my doubts on finishing the project in the timeline I originally laid out when I saw the bridge design and again when I saw the timber when it showed up. The bridges are just are so overkill and each bridge is 4-5 times harder to build than needed which is a time suck vortex. At the end of today as bridge 1 was almost completed (which grew a bit in scope) and seeing what we accomplished in 2 days, I now have good confidence we will in fact do the impossible and complete this project on time and the trail can open back up with only a 10 day closure. Impressive.

Lots of help still needed next week for all the scheduled workdays, come on out. Thanks to the good folks who busted arse today and got a lot of good work done.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Lots of trail heros today. Props of course to Ed and Shrimper for donating machine time and being 2 of the best builders I know. Chuck leading up the bridge crew, awesome wood work as always. Greg and the rock crew did amazing work. Finish crew did great work. Mark the gimp S. was our greeter and handled sign in, thanks for staying interested despite being on crutches. Jeff and the cook out crew were a welcome site after coming down off the mountain, cold beer and burgers were awesome. Too many folks to thank for their part.

My choice for top hero today is Mark M. from Kernersville NC. Mark drove up last night and found a camp site at midnight up Avery Creek Road. He wanted to be a part of this project despite having never ridden any of the Black Mountain Trail. That kicks arse, thanks Mark.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Here are some photos from today. I was way too busy to get many photos, I sure others will post up some better ones than what I got.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    The not so glamorous side of trail building: Shrimper and an assistant wrestle a thrown track back on.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Photos showing the detail of the fine work on the on-ramp of the bridge. Thanks Chuck, you and your crew are doing awesome work.

Rogue Exterminator
    So far things are coming together nicely.
    I am going to try and show again tomorrow. At least by 6 for the free beer and food.

Actually, I would really like to see that bridge to the end so I will probably be there.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Bring it. Bridge 1 will get finished, and bridge 2 will get framed.

Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    So far things are coming together nicely.
    I am going to try and show again tomorrow. At least by 6 for the free beer and food.

Actually, I would really like to see that bridge to the end so I will probably be there.

Rogue Exterminator
    You gotta walk too far to get to bridge 2.

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    Would you settle for a bridge with built in on ramp that can serve as a booter? That is what is being built.
    Excellent

Rogue Exterminator
    Shhhh, that is not for jumping. The forest service wouldn't like that.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast