Its got what plants crave

Pisgah ride summary from last week

I was camping/riding in the forest all week... it rained like EVERY day. I still rode, but it would have been more fun without the rain. At least the rain held off during the day mostly. Our tent filled with water at one point. Tuesday was a complete wash.. rain ALL day long. We actually went to Asheville and put our tent in an industrial dryer

Rode several trails... Bennett Gap was steep although short considering you have to climb for like 6 miles to get there. We rode up Laurel mountain and came down Pilot which proved to be a gnarly but rideable downhill. I broke my seat clamp at the top and had to ghetto rig it to get back down. Rode another trail in the Mills River area called Trace Ridge or something. Rode it in the wrong direction and ended up climbing buttloads of miles and then doubling back to ride all of the steep stuff we pushed up. We crossed a gravel road and went down near the creeks where it was pretty muddy but fun. On Friday we decided to take a day off the bike and hike up to Looking Glass which was amazing. Camped at Mitchell on Tuesday after the rain cleared and it turned out to be a gorgeous night despite the fact that some guys at the outfitter in Asheville warned us that there might be snow and 30 mph winds. In reality it was probably 50 degrees that night, and warmed up into the 70s that day and cleared off. The view from Mitchell was amazing especially with the leaves turning. Overall a good trip, albeit a bit damp.

mtbr member
    Glad to hear you had a good time Jim311. The weather here can be pretty unpredictable at times.
    [SIZE=5][/SIZE]

Its got what plants crave
    I figure I got lucky the last 2 times I've been there for over a week with virtually no rain. It was only a matter of time. All of the trails I rode with the exception of one trail in the Mills River area actually drained really well and were surprisingly in good shape. The wet rocks and roots didn't provide too much of a challenge surprisingly, especially since I was running some 2.35 rollers I just bought. Harvey @ Backcountry Outdoors in Pisgah was helpful and a cool guy too. In fact just about everybody I met up there was pretty cool. Apparently there was some kind of "LEAF" festival in Asheville which drew some... interesting characters