Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005

PISGAH, more fun with 5in or 6in bike?

I will be moving back to the area and since I was new to riding when I left is a 5in or 6in bike going to be more fun? Which will be able to ride everything? I know this is subjective, but I am looking to buy a new bike in the near future and am having trouble deciding. If it helps, I was thinking a Santa Cruz Nickel, SC Butcher, or Banshee Spitfire.

Thanks,

Jamie

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MaddSquirrel
    I will be moving back to the area and since I was new to riding when I left is a 5in or 6in bike going to be more fun? Which will be able to ride everything? I know this is subjective, but I am looking to buy a new bike in the near future and am having trouble deciding. If it helps, I was thinking a Santa Cruz Nickel, SC Butcher, or Banshee Spitfire.

Thanks,

Jamie
    Personally, I say neither. I have more fun on a SS 29er than anything. To each their own but with the amount of roots and rocks we have, a 29er of any kind seems to work better......for me.

Without knowing your riding style it's hard to recommend anything.

When did you get here?!?!
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderSupertramp1969

Without knowing your riding style it's hard to recommend anything.
    +1

However, I am with Mr Tramp with his choice of a 29er hardtail. (I have a geared and a SS). The bike the 29ers replaced though was a 5x5. Remember, there is a TON of climbing here. Anything over 5 inches will start to feel heavy and sluggish for the 70% of the ride time that you're not actually screaming downhill.
    You can please some people sometimes but you can't please all the people all the time.
    ERIC'S RIDE LOG

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I prefer a 6" travel 26er, myself. I like to throw my bike around, have fun, and not true my wheels constantly, so for me the 26er feels more fun. Maybe not as efficient, but more fun. Also, 6" feels about right for most of the downhills. Five is fine, but 6 is, again, more fun. Definitely build it light, as the guys above said there is a lot of climbing. I ride a 5.5" Heckler, and it seems just about perfect. It could drop a few pounds, but it gets the job done with little fuss. I test rode a Butcher and Nickel and definitely liked the Butcher better for my style of riding. Similar weight with a similar set-up, might as well go with more travel! If you do go with a 29er, I would say 4-5 inches should be pretty great. What's your riding style?

pronounced may-duh
    I don't think there is a certain bike that is better then another. It's a very personal decision. For me it's a 5+" travel bike. I don't have the DH skills or balls for less squish. I don't have the legs for a 6" free ride bike. Whatever you do build it light for climbing. 80% of the day your going up the mtn.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Thanks guys. I guess I should have said "What do most ride". I like to focus on having fun. I try to have some skill and pick good lines, but at my size, 280, I do bash through stuff a little. I used to have a Heckler and loved it, but now on a hardtail.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    to put it in perspective, you'll be climbing for most of your ride.

that said i ride a 5 spot that weighs 33lbs

but you can ride more terrain, faster, than other bikes

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by park baker
    to put it in perspective, you'll be climbing for most of your ride.

that said i ride a 5 spot that weighs 33lbs

but you can ride more terrain, faster, than other bikes

Thanks. Keep them coming, this is a tough decision. I do not want to purchase to much bike, but want to make sure that I have enough to ride everything comfortable.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    All things considered, I dont know what your budget is like, but Jason had like a 26-27lb 6-inch Blur LT in at Fatz when I was in there the other day. F*cker would be a G pisgah bike

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    put a double barrel on it and you'll never look back

Asheville YetiRider

For Sale Yeti 575 2009 Large with I-9s Included

This bike is nothing but fun to ride. It has taken everything in Pisgah I could give it. It has been on every trail around here and never flinched at any drops or roots. With the pro pedal and with a weight of 27.4 (house scale) it does pretty damn good at the climbing. With the I-9s all you have to do is point and shoot. I put it up for sale on craigslist last week.

http://asheville.craigslist.org/bik/2073379989.html
    There are Mountain Bikes and then there is "The Santa Cruz High Ball"

mtbr member
    I rode Pisgah when I was out there quite a few years ago, and from what I remember, it was mostly pretty smooth flowy singletrack that doesn't need much, if any, suspension.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Asheville YetiRider
    This bike is nothing but fun to ride. It has taken everything in Pisgah I could give it. It has been on every trail around here and never flinched at any drops or roots. With the pro pedal and with a weight of 27.4 (house scale) it does pretty damn good at the climbing. With the I-9s all you have to do is point and shoot. I put it up for sale on craigslist last week.

http://asheville.craigslist.org/bik/2073379989.html
    why are you selling it then?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve
    I rode Pisgah when I was out there quite a few years ago, and from what I remember, it was mostly pretty smooth flowy singletrack that doesn't need much, if any, suspension.
    Hehehe

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve
    smooth flowy singletrack

Crap. I've been riding the wrong trails.

the other white meat
    Having been a Yankee in my previous life, I never owned a F/S until I came to WNC. The first year or so that I rode my old hardtail, climbing was never an issue, but I couldn't go downhill on techie stuff like I desired. An old fart like myself, could never ride an S/S. I need gears. My current rig is an 07' Titus Moto-Lite, which comes in at 28.5lbs. With 5" of travel, I have never wanted more. I had a chance to ride A Giant with Maestro suspension a while back, now I want that as I found it feels mostly like a hardtail (albeit a heavy one), until you start descending, then it changes its demeanor to an F/S. I'd check out a Trance (5"), or a Reign (6") if I was you. Jeff @ Bikeways in Hendersonville will be happy to show them to you, and might even loan you one for an afternoon to try it out. I also have a set of I-9's and they make all other wheelsets look lame. Welcome home!
    "The wire is life, everything else is waiting"
    Karl Wallenda

Jamin, Applesause, No?
    Get a 5" trail bike if you like 26ers. Personally I recommend Pivots. I think Hub Cycles sells them along with Ibis bikes. You will not find a better climber then a Pivot, they perform beautifully at speed and can be built up very light. I am bias though.

mtbr member
    I think any of the DW link bikes or horst link bikes even the Maestro suspension make extremely efficient fs pedaling bikes. Of course not as sufficient as a hardtail.

The one thing I would consider with a hard tail whether SS, geared, 26er or 29er is impact from jumps. (not including some of the burlier free ride hardtails). If you like to bomb the downhills and get some air then I would chose some of the more efficient fs bikes with 5-6 inches of travel. I have a Mojo SL at 26 pounds with 5.5 inches and the only thing that keeps the uphills slow for me is me. I take that bike off medium sized all mountain jumps but don't consider it a light freeride bike.

I plan on getting the Butcher soon and that will be my light free ride bike.

a.k.a. BicycleKicks
    I wouldn't ride something that small in Pisgah. Imagine the consequences!

Name:  minibike_riding_100.jpg
Views: 496
Size:  2.4 KB

I read that on the internet.

drunken pirate

All climbing

Here's the thing you really have to remember and consider:

It is all climbing.

The amount of time you will spend descending is minuscule to the time you will spend going up. You will carry your bike a lot.

Hardtail 29er all the way
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by driftwood
    Here's the thing you really have to remember and consider:

It is all climbing.

The amount of time you will spend descending is minuscule to the time you will spend going up. You will carry your bike a lot.

Hardtail 29er all the way

If it weren't for trips out west, I would sell my Sultan.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Actually, a good full-suspension will climb more efficiently than a hardtail, as the rocks and roots require a hardtail rider to stand up more often and choose smoother lines. On a technical climb, a full-suspension will beat a hardtail.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainbiker24
    Actually, a good full-suspension will climb more efficiently than a hardtail, as the rocks and roots require a hardtail rider to stand up more often and choose smoother lines. On a technical climb, a full-suspension will beat a hardtail.
    Since my hardtail is a SS, I stand up on most climbs anyway. A good designed full suspension will climb better in the chunk as far as traction, I just hate sitting and spinning. I think it depends more on your riding style than anything. If you are a masher, you will probably lean towards a 29er hardtail. If you are a spinner, the squish will probably be more your thing.

drunken pirate
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainbiker24
    I used to ride a 5" dw link bike. I could climb anything on that bike. I bet now I could really climb anything on that bike.

But I would be slower and would use more energy than I do now on my hardtail 29er. It is easier, and faster, to get off and push when Pisgah gets steep and technical . Out on the gravel a hardtail is indisputable
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I really should spend some more time on a 29er. It just feels like I'm riding cyclocross...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast