mtbr member

Pisgah lodging suggestions

Hello,

I'm planning a mtb trip to W-NC in mid-June. I'll ride 3-4 days and would like to hit the highlights of the area (Tsali, etc). I'm trying to decide where to stay. I'd like to be in a good central proximity to most of the riding at a reasonable price. Should I base myself in Asheville, or would I enjoy the scenery and atmosphere more in Black Mountain or Brevard? I'll be traveling solo, so I don't need anything fancy. My plan is to do one long-ish ride (12+mi.) in the morning, rest, then a shorter ride (5-6mi) in the afternoon, or one "epic" ride for a single day. Any guidance on this, ride suggestions, etc is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Last edited by progfan1; 05-11-2013 at 09:39 AM. Reason: punctuation error
    2012 Salsa Horsethief
    2005 Independent Fabrication Deluxe

\m/{-_-}\m/

Pisgah lodging suggestions

All of the best Pisgah riding is in the Brevard area in my opinion. Black Mountain is a cool little town though and Kitsuma and Curtis Creek are close. I almost always stay in Brevard when I go up there and I never waste time with Tsali or Bent Creek in Asheville.

mtbr member
    The Red House Inn in Brevard, brevardbedandbreakfast.com. No question. Daniel, the innkeeper, will give you every bit of beta you need for great rides out the door every morning, and might even accompany you if he has a free couple of hours. The B&B is fifteen minutes by bike path from Pisgah and five minutes to Brevard's new trail system, Bracken Mountain. And a five minute walk to any bar, coffee shop, or restaurant in town. Seriously, you couldn't stay anywhere better.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Agree with Redhouse recommendation. Can't be beat.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info, you guys. I actually found a place near Brevard that looks good. Red House looks great, but maybe a little fancier than what I need. On another note, as I look to plan my rides, is there a particular bike shop I should hit that would give me good advice?
    2012 Salsa Horsethief

mtbr member
    The Hub and Sycamore Cycles in Brevard are great sources of info..Good maps are available for both South Pisgah and Dupont
    "Those who are afraid to go too far will never know how far they can go"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHoo View Post
    The Red House Inn in Brevard, brevardbedandbreakfast.com. No question. Daniel, the innkeeper, will give you every bit of beta you need for great rides out the door every morning, and might even accompany you if he has a free couple of hours. The B&B is fifteen minutes by bike path from Pisgah and five minutes to Brevard's new trail system, Bracken Mountain. And a five minute walk to any bar, coffee shop, or restaurant in town. Seriously, you couldn't stay anywhere better.
    X3. My girlfriend and I are staying there next weekend for the Pisgah 55k. The Red house is our go to when we are riding Pisgah and Dupont.
    I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I just hate vegetables.

mtbr member
    I've enjoyed staying at the Sunset Motel in Brevard. They have a bike washing station and let you bring bikes into the rooms. Cool folks.
    I used to build these: www.bikesonsnow.homestead.com
    I now build trails: www.sinuosity.net

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BikesOnSnow View Post
    I've enjoyed staying at the Sunset Motel in Brevard. They have a bike washing station and let you bring bikes into the rooms. Cool folks.

I actually just booked a reservation at the Sunset, so I'm glad to read your recommendation! The owner has already sent me some nice little notes and seems very nice, so I'm looking forward to it.
    2012 Salsa Horsethief