mtbr member

Pisgah hunting dates

FYI - the USFS has posted the 2009/2010 hunting dates.

Hunting Season Dates to Remember:
    Deer season for bow and arrow runs from October 12 through November 21st
    Deer muzzleloader season is October 5 through October 10
    Deer gun season begins November 23 through December 12
    Bear season begins October 12 through November 21, and then December 12 through January 1, 2010
    many gears, some pies

drunken pirate
    It should be noted that hunting is not allowed in North Carolina on Sundays. If you are worried about getting shot Sunday is your best bet at staying alive.

My dog and myself wear blaze orange from October through December regardless of what day it is and try and make as big of a racket as possible.

Smart hunters stay far away from where most forest users go, it is the not so smart hunters you need to beware of. No need to be scared, imo, just be smart.
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    whats a deer gun?

drunken pirate
    In case you are serious a deer gun is a rifle. This is the period when forest users should exercise the most caution. Blaze orange is a must.
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

mtbr member
    deer gun... hmmmm I suppose that does actually read like a type of gun

deer isn't an adjective in this case, they are just relating the various types of weapons allowed in each deer season. It should say "Deer season for bow and arrow", Deer season for muzzleloaders", "Deer season for guns" and as driftwood points out the deer season for guns is the most dangerous since these high caliber guns can kill (deers, dogs, or people) from quite a long distance. In densely vegetated areas like Pisgah they shouldn't be shooting at targets more than 50-75 yards away but they do.

Here's a good article on Pisgah deer hunting. SOme good to know info on how and where the hunters like to go.
    many gears, some pies

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    i was just being a butt... i didnt know if rifle and shotgun had diffrent dates. thanks for the info

29er zealot
    Alright, I'm going to do Heartbreak on Friday. I'll be going up CC instead of Old Toll (bear hunting). I've seen many a bear in that area so I know they'll be hunting. I'll be wearing blaze orange and all, but should I be concerned with all of the dogs on the loose, or are thy pretty cool? I've never run into any hunting dogs out on the trail....any thoughts?

Can't feel my legs
    The hunting dogs I've come across have all been very cool, but, many will follow you for miles.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by froth14
    I've never run into any hunting dogs out on the trail....any thoughts?
    In my few experiences with running into Hunting dogs, I was more worried that the dog would die from exaustion from trying to follow me rather than worry about the dog attacking or biting.
    BS'ing less, riding more.

Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    or back to your car, jump in and wont get out..

a.k.a. Yeti Ken
    Crap! At first I thought I was OK coming down (from Maine) over Thanksgiving week. Looks like Driftwood says this is the worst time. Blaze orange it is.

Go make a difference
    We got caught in the middle of a bear hunt at the 06 Double Dare. The hunters were pretty cool about us but my teammate and I opted for the shorter route back to base camp after we saw them unload (2) MORE pick up truck loads of huntin dogs.

The dogs were cool. We picked up a straggler that had been left behind and took him back over to Glouchester Gap where we waited for one of the hunters to come by. That was a COLD wait! I didn't tell the guy that I'd fed his huntin dog a couple fig newtons and some beef jerky though!
    Charles Myrick
    33North Adventures | Owner
    Bike | Climb | Hike | Paddle
    New trips: Tibet & Bosnia!