mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Pisgah/GF trail conditions

Anyone get out in the Grandfather District today ?
    I'm considering riding tomorrow on either;
    Long Yancey's
    Brown Mtn OHV
    CC Drive-by

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I took door #2, Brown Mountain, as it's the safest bet for winter riding.
    Conditions were excellent, but there is a small dozer re-working water bars, so that softened things up a bit on 1a & 4.

mtbr member
    So have you ridden the Driveby? I'm curious. Did you like it? Are the directions in the trail review sufficient? I think it's a pretty good run, and sort of "off the map."

TPM
    mtbr member
    Mar 2005

drive by

I've ridden it a couple times and thought it was pretty good. After hitting Maple Grove Church Rd., though, I missed the trail to the right that goes down to Johns' River. How do I find that trail, and does it follow a ridge down or is it a drainage/creek trail?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaston Gagne
    So have you ridden the Driveby? I'm curious. Did you like it? Are the directions in the trail review sufficient? I think it's a pretty good run, and sort of "off the map."
    I rode the Driveby back in the Spring and have to say it was not anything like I expected.
    I didn't have to ride through briars, get shot at, or hear banjo music. Now, seeing a cabin in the middle of nowhere was a little bizarre, but there were no unpleasant repercussions.
    Sorry for ever questioning the quality of this ride, it was top shelf. Your directions were on the money, although I was never 100% sure of where I was, until I hit 187, but there is some fun in that queasy uncertainty too. Can't remember if it was before or after 187, but there was a hellacious descent that sent me sprawling off my bike. After x-ing 187, there were trails going everywhere, and was thoroughly confused. I ended up taking a trail that literally turned into a creek thru a mini-gorge to John's River.
    I think the only reason this trail is not already considered one of the elite in GF district is it's out-of-the-way location. Great stuff.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TPM
    How do I find that trail, and does it follow a ridge down or is it a drainage/creek trail?

Thanks
    I think in the trail review that I posted that the trail/road head was at a recently clear cut spot with a red blaze. That is incorrect, and I don't know where that goes. I was a bit confused when I posted that. I'll have to see if I can edit that. The correct roadhead is on a 180 left. It is a double track that goes uphill for just a little bit and drops steeply for a pretty long time. It got washed out in the hurricanes, so it's a tad gnarly/rocky in the steep stuff. Then you'll be offered a bunch of choices, and as near as I can tell, they all meet again at a gate on Old John's River Road. Those that didn't dead ended. I didn't chase down every one. One time I did it in the wet and it was really slick. The gate was secured with a piece of string.

This cluster of roads ends in a creekbed, but on the way down, you're neither in a creekbed nor on a ridge. It seems like maybe it was a system of logging roads like you see in clear cuts, and they've been maintained.

I'll measure the distance from the bottom of the Driveby to this roadhead next time I go out there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaston Gagne
    I think in the trail review that I posted that the trail/road head was at a recently clear cut spot with a red blaze. That is incorrect, and I don't know where that goes. I was a bit confused when I posted that. I'll have to see if I can edit that. The correct roadhead is on a 180 left. It is a double track that goes uphill for just a little bit and drops steeply for a pretty long time. It got washed out in the hurricanes, so it's a tad gnarly/rocky in the steep stuff.
    The place where I turned off from the Joe White descent was not a clearcut, but more like an open saddle. There must have been some red paint because I found it using your directions.
    What happens if you continue straight past the CCDB on Wilson's Ridge? It looks like you could tie back into 187 at the gated FS road spur down near Reid's Creek.
    As a winter ride, I'm inclined to ride up
    187 (Murphy's) and make a loop out of the driveby without crossing 187 and dropping down to John's River.
    Last edited by 1-track-mind; 01-31-2008 at 08:55 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1-track-mind
    The place where I turned off from the Joe White descent was not a clearcut, but more like an open saddle. There must have been some red paint because I found it using your directions.
    What happens if you continue straight past the CCDB on Wilson's Ridge? It looks like you could tie back into 187 at the gated FS road spur down near Reid's Creek.
    As a winter ride, I'm inclined to ride up
    187 (Murphy's) and make a loop out of the driveby without crossing 187 and dropping down to John's River.
    I was talking about the turn to get from 187 down to Old John's River Road, which is the road that has the mug covered house on it.

Yes, the top of the Driveby is like an open saddle. It appears that someone was practicing agriculture there at one point. OK, if you keep going, you'll go to another cabin. This cabin has a mailbox, and UPS delivers on Saturday out there.

Past the cabin, Wilson Ridge Trail goes uphill to the left. The right goes through a red gate and goes down to Wilson Creek very close to the concrete bridge just downstream of Mortimer. I find either of those options of limited interest on the bicycle. Wilson Ridge is mostly pushing, and road/trail down to Wilson Creek is really rocky. You can take roads and trails on the top of Wilson Ridge all the way to the summit of Adams Mountain. Nice lookout there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    GG
    Gotcha, thanks. I'll cross WR off the '08 to do list.
    I don't suppose there is another viable access to the driveby @ Joe White from Mortimer
    on a bike, without taking 90 or FS road 1514/4068 ?
    Looks like there might be a road or trail going up to Joe White from the work center.
    I'd like to know the best way to link up other trails that end near Mortimer...
    Raiders,Long Yancey,Schoolhouse... to the driveby.

mtbr member
    GG
    Gotcha, thanks. I'll cross WR off the '08 to do list.
    I don't suppose there is another viable access to the driveby @ Joe White from Mortimer
    on a bike, without taking 90 or FS road 1514/4068 ?
    Looks like there might be a road or trail going up to Joe White from the work center.
    I'd like to know the best way to link up other trails that end near Mortimer...
    Raiders,Long Yancey,Schoolhouse... to the driveby.
    I can't find 1514 on the map, so I can't help you there. On my short list of exploratory missions is to ride up 4068 (Schoolhouse) from 90. Directly across 4068 from Upper Wilson Ridge Trail is an old road bed that goes out to High Knob. The Wilson Ridge trailhead that I'm talking about has a guardrail across it. The road bed itself was kind of a nice ride. Where the road ends there was a singletrack and a four wheeler track that went down all those gradient lines.

If by the work center, you mean visitor center, there is, but it's that rocky jeep trail. Parts of it would be fun downhill. Uphill would be mostly pushing, and a lot of pushing.

One can surmount Wilson Ridge from 187 on 4097. Riding Wilson Ridge to Joe White from there wouldn't be so bad.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    1514 is the right fork at Edgemont,heading north from Mortimer (that turns into 45) and takes you to 4068.
    Much longer than taking 90, but I was advised not to take 90 presumably due to the steepness of the climb, but I've never gone up it from Mortimer so I don't know.
    The road to the work center is just south of the intersection with 90.
    High Knob has to be one of the primo camping spots in the entire forest. I didn't take the "trail" that dropped off the edge, but opted for an out and back. Looked a bit hairy.
    Now taking 4097 up to Joe White never crossed my mind, but that would be an excellent loop coming from Adako and using 187 for the return !!! That looks like quite a haul.
    Looks like a shorter option would be to bear right after crossing Sally Creek along Bald Knob Ridge to 187.
    Last edited by 1-track-mind; 01-31-2008 at 08:12 PM.

ganginwood
    I didn't have to ride through briars, get shot at, or hear banjo music. Now, seeing a cabin in the middle of nowhere was a little bizarre, but there were no unpleasant repercussions.
    i think i'll edit that post to avoid any deception.
    from what i remember, there "was" a thick briar section at the trail head (2004).

I HUCK WITH CHUCK
    Anyone get out in the Grandfather District today ?
    I'm considering riding tomorrow on either;
    Long Yancey's
    Brown Mtn OHV
    CC Drive-by

Long yancey's was pretty good on friday, and there hasn't been any rain since then but it's supposed to hit this evening through wed morning. There were a few low trees, and lots of trees on the ground, but very few new trees or stuff I couldn't either hop over or duck under.

Saw you already rode it, but that's the latest I know.

mtbr member
    The briars are still there. Someone cut them back though, and they cut that low tree out. So it's not the tactile experience it was then. Now there is a brand new tree right at the very top. Dad blame it! We just get that thing cleaned up. At least it's at the top.