mtbr member

Is Pisgah fun to ride in December?

My friends and I are planning another trip up north after classes are done in early december. How cold does it get in Pisgah / Du pont this time of year? is it still fun to ride? how about camping? is it too cold for that?

whatever
    Nov 2005
    It could be chilly, mabye snowy, but completely worth it.

KRISDALA BAKA!!!!!!!!!!!!
    December is one of my favorite time to ride down there. Sure the days are shorter, but the summer foliage is down and the scenery presents itself in all it's glory.

You could start off a ride in cool weather gear and by mid day your in your shorts and jersey.

Temps get into the 30's, so if you don't mind campin' when it's that cool then go for it!

Have fun!

Drinker w/ Riding Problem
    Quote Originally Posted by emmaus28
    December is one of my favorite time to ride down there. Sure the days are shorter, but the summer foliage is down and the scenery presents itself in all it's glory.

You could start off a ride in cool weather gear and by mid day your in your shorts and jersey.

Temps get into the 30's, so if you don't mind campin' when it's that cool then go for it!

Have fun!
    Davidson River Campground keeps two loops open year round...and those showers are nice and hot! we've done a a few winter camp/ride trips... our coldest one yet was low 26* @night and it was low 50*s in the days. and snow above 4000 ft.
    have to agree with emmaus28 December is a great time to ride Pisgah, usually really dry month, and not bone chilling cold,like January / February.

rob
    slakDawg
    Boy Scout Tip #198 - Cold weather comforts:

If you're tent camping and in a sleeping bag, put a couple of those Hot HandsŪ hand or body warmers under your bag. You will sleep nice and toasty.

Philosophizer
    Pisgah is fun to ride anytime of year!
    I hate rude behavior in a man.....won't tolerate it. - Woodrow F Call.

Am not, had mine removed.

Do it.....

....one of the best times to go.
    You want to ride behind someone who does something that?

770-271-9506

mtbr member
    Last winter I remember riding in Bent Creek about the first week of December. Night ride in shorts and short sleeve Jersey. It was downright balmy, at least in the 60's. That was a little unusual but not unheard of for that time of year here. It usually doesn't get full-time cold til Jan.-Feb.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

duh

"Is Pisgah fun to ride in December?"
    Does a bear poop in the woods?

pronounced may-duh
    Average day time high temps will be arround 50. Thats not bad for riding, so long as you don't get caught in an icy cold rain or fall in an icy cold stream crossing. Night time lows will be around 30. Thats cold for tent camping especialy if you got rained on and everything you own gets wet. Sure it's fun to ride and camp in Pisgah any time of year but if your planning on December, be prepared for some cold weather.