Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Pisgah Current Conditions

Anybody been out since the snow? I'm planning to ride Friday, should be warm enough for the ground to unfreeze, so i'm trying to figure out which trails (if any) you'd expect to be dry enough to ride without being a slop fest. I was thinking about Pink Beds/Horse Cove/squirrel/Buckhorn, etc. , but don't want to damage any new trail work on Squirrel.

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    lsc- lots of snow. Lots. I tried to ride Monday and couldn't despite my best efforts. Yes it will melt at lower elevations, but it will be muddy where low and still snowed in/icy at higher elevations that hold less water and where the trail is shaded or north facing. I plan on maybe riding trail/gravel road Sunday, but that will be after forecasted rain melts more of the snow/ice pack.
    I am going to (shudder) ride the road bike Friday on the day off for the first time since April.

drunken pirate

frozen solid but melting fast

I couldn't get my light 2wd pick up truck past the Ranger Station yesterday as 276 is an icy mess. Plows seem to be running it non stop but there were two inches of ice covering most of the roadway. The North Slope had a solid six inches of snow covering all of it, Black, Thrift and Sycamore all had heavy snow but patches of clear ground scattered around.

I'd say your best bet for Friday would be to start early while the ground is frozen and ride low elevation trails. Trace Ridge area or maybe Cove Creek and Daniel.
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

mtbr member
    I was up on the Parkway @ 215 yesterday and there are long sections of clear pavement and then sections of drifted snow 2ft+ deep. Seems like the snow is so powdery that it won't stick to the road unless compressed by feet or vehicle and with the strong winds over the weekend it blew into deep drifts. 215 wasn't bad from Brevard/Rosman side but several people reported it was treacherous in the Canton direction.

It was as clear a day as I've seen in several years.

many gears, some pies

mtbr member
    Thanks everyone for the info, although not what I wanted to hear. I'm trying to come up with a ride to enjoy with my visiting friend who has been exiled from Pisgah the last year...I doubt she even has a road bike available right now.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Rode the parkway up from the arboretum and down into the BC on the gravel roads today. The roads were frozen rock solid or buried in 8 inches of powder. No mud no slop. Really fun. I expect that will change by Friday with the increased temps and possible rain.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    We also were up at Parkway and 215 yesterday doing a great snowshoe loop including some of the Mtns-Sea Trail. Great day for tromping in the snow.

mtbr member
    The problem I had was the 8 inches of powder on trail made it impossible to both turn the front wheel and climb simultaneously. Really, I tried pretty hard, it was impossible. Straight line forest roads might have been fun- climbing turns (which there are a lot of where I was riding) not so much.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ridn29s
    I was up on the Parkway @ 215 yesterday and there are long sections of clear pavement and then sections of drifted snow 2ft+ deep. Seems like the snow is so powdery that it won't stick to the road unless compressed by feet or vehicle and with the strong winds over the weekend it blew into deep drifts. 215 wasn't bad from Brevard/Rosman side but several people reported it was treacherous in the Canton direction.

It was as clear a day as I've seen in several years.

Great pics, Me and cruso did alot of road bike rides up 215 to the parkway from Canton back in the day and the view was a reward if it was a clear day

mtbr member
    The snow is melted here in Spartanburg. Come out to Croft. It should be good this weekend.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    lsc- snow is melting faster than I expected, riding was more possible last night (although i was on foot). It may be wet and sometimes sucky Friday, but I bet you can ride.

ohhman
    Don't go! Tried it yesterday. You can make it downhill if you know how to ski on a bike, but uphills are nearly impossible. Drifts up to 24" deep.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Hiked in and around Turkey Pen today. Don't try and ride. Its a mess.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the warnings. We did the SC trails in Pickens county that shall apparently not be named. They were great. Now, I suppose, the question is "what about NEXT weekend?"

drunken pirate
    The snow is gone. Next weekend should be great
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

mtbr member
    May 2008
    476, s. mills, squirrel, mullinax and bradley were all fine today (unlike the rider), min ice on 1206 past pilot

Official Cooler Inspector
    "The snow is gone. Next weekend should be great."

Yeah, right.... Big fluffies in Bent Creek now.

I had a series of bike dreams last night and found pics to match most of them. There was a riding on the Parkway in snow image - I was on something like this:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I am a fool for those special connections

mtbr member
    perfect.

for skiing.
    My one says BRAP!

mtbr member
    Lower Brevard trails are fine. No accumalation. Try to get out tomm am if you can. The simple Black>thrift>grassy>sycamore loop x2 was a perfect ride today.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Does anyone know if anything else is clear enough for riding tomorrow? I'm up near asheville so was thinking bent creek, mills river, or maybe even turkey pen area.

thanks,
    Paul

Official Cooler Inspector
    Rule out Bent Creek.
    I am a fool for those special connections

ohhman

1 more ride.

5pm. This afternoon. @ The Hub. Or 5:15ish @ the hatchery.

One last chance before the, claimed, winter weather moves back in.

Something shortish, cove to l.branch etc...

Note: to make this more MTBR acceptable, 29ers are welcome to come as well.
    Last edited by salmansp; 01-09-2011 at 11:18 AM.

mtbr member
    great conditions, fine ride, may be the last ride on Cove Creek for a while just a few other tracks in the snow
    many gears, some pies

banned
    F-U-B-A-R

Big Mac
    Just a reminder!!!!!!!!! Please, do not wreck our trails by riding on them. Riding on them hurts them. Please don't hurt them. If you hurt them, you are a stupid idiot! Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast