mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Pisgah Bike Packing Trip--Small Mileage, Safe Parking, and Camping--Help?!

My brother and cousin are looking to do a guys weekend away. We all have the typical business monday-friday gigs with our family responsibilities. Our wives and kids have been gracious and allotted us some time to experience some of our old habits of camping.

We all mountain bike daily, and would love to ride out on a trail a few miles in, setup a camp near a water source preferably remote, then ride back out two days later. More of a relaxing ride in, camp, then ride out.

Can you guys and gals guide me to this? I wanted to try and camp at dupont but its permitted. I value your opinions Pisgah folks. I've never ridden there before.

HELP
    Hunter

Big Mac

I've always thought an overnighter at twin falls would be nice. Buckhorn gap has a shelter, but I wouldn't call the ride in "relaxing". Lots of options really. Where do you hail from?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    I've always thought an overnighter at twin falls would be nice. Buckhorn gap has a shelter, but I wouldn't call the ride in "relaxing". Lots of options really. Where do you hail from?
    I'm from Greenville, SC---I'm thinking about putting in around the Davidson area in the ranger district. We would be close to a stream for water, and then a little more remote the further we peddled in. I'll look into twin falls.

Big Mac

Twin falls sounds like it would fit the bill.

mtbr member
    Slate Cove. Easy Access, flat camping about two miles in next to creek in beautiful forest glade, lots of hiking and biking nearby.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brown View Post
    Slate Cove. Easy Access, flat camping about two miles in next to creek in beautiful forest glade, lots of hiking and biking nearby.
    Mike,

Thank you. This sounds a lot like what we are looking for. Whats the closest landmark to Slate Cove. I'll be hauling 3 adult me, and 3 bikes on the back of my lifted Jeep Wrangler, so distance from home might be an issue.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    is it the pilot cove-slate rock trail?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Not familiar with twin falls, but it sounds like its in same area I was going to suggest - which is to park at the Horse Stables (FR 476 I think) and ride up Clawhammer to Buckhorn Gap, and then you could either go right on Black Mountain to camp somewhere near the peak (fair bit of hike-a-bike on this route tho) or go left to the aforementioned shelter. Could go past the shelter to Club Gap, which may be closer to water (i.e. Avery Creek) than the Black Mountain options. Another possibility (which would be much easier to pedal to) would be to take Clawhammer to Maxwell Cove and camp at the established spot where it dead ends into Black Mountain. Some fun riding loops to be had there, and I suppose hiking as well. But again, I don't know of a nearby water source in that scenario.

Another good area might be the fish hatchery area, as there are tons of camping spots along Cat Gap (i.e. end of Picklesimer) and Butter Gap. Easy water in most cases, and great day hiking at Johns Rock. Or for a remote jaunt, do Farlow Gap and you can set up camp near/on the Art Loeb trail or on the trail itself, which is beautiful, if a little rugged in spots. Water should be fairly nearby in most cases. Finish up the trip by coming down Daniels Ridge.

Now that I'm thinking about it, going up Fletcher/Middle Creek (i.e.from the Trace Ridge parking area) would be cool, as there are a lot of nice meadows and water is plentiful along this route. Wander up some of the dirt roads in this area, which are usually pretty lightly traveled in my experience. Pretty easy bike access too.

Should be a fun trip!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Will Murderface View Post
    Not familiar with twin falls, but it sounds like its in same area I was going to suggest - which is to park at the Horse Stables (FR 476 I think) and ride up Clawhammer to Buckhorn Gap, and then you could either go right on Black Mountain to camp somewhere near the peak (fair bit of hike-a-bike on this route tho) or go left to the aforementioned shelter. Could go past the shelter to Club Gap, which may be closer to water (i.e. Avery Creek) than the Black Mountain options. Another possibility (which would be much easier to pedal to) would be to take Clawhammer to Maxwell Cove and camp at the established spot where it dead ends into Black Mountain. Some fun riding loops to be had there, and I suppose hiking as well. But again, I don't know of a nearby water source in that scenario.

Another good area might be the fish hatchery area, as there are tons of camping spots along Cat Gap (i.e. end of Picklesimer) and Butter Gap. Easy water in most cases, and great day hiking at Johns Rock. Or for a remote jaunt, do Farlow Gap and you can set up camp near/on the Art Loeb trail or on the trail itself, which is beautiful, if a little rugged in spots. Water should be fairly nearby in most cases. Finish up the trip by coming down Daniels Ridge.

Now that I'm thinking about it, going up Fletcher/Middle Creek (i.e.from the Trace Ridge parking area) would be cool, as there are a lot of nice meadows and water is plentiful along this route. Wander up some of the dirt roads in this area, which are usually pretty lightly traveled in my experience. Pretty easy bike access too.

Should be a fun trip!
    Thanks Will. The last scenario certainly sounds great! I know that myself and cousin would love riding a ton of the major biking trails, but my brother is a clydesdale and would hate the climbs

ready to ride
    Another option would be the South Mills River area. Park at Turkey Pen. There is a bit of a drop down to the river but the climb back out really isn't that bad imo. Once you are down by the river you can either go up stream or down stream and find a spot. Not sure when you are planning on going, but there are some stream crossings depending how far up or down you go. All pretty level though, you could head over to big creek.

I too prefer to camp in the back country but if biking is my main goal I usually pick a good campsite with easy car access, bike during the day and back to camp with beer and other amenities. That said I do love the back country but usually reserve that for fishing trips. If you want some suggestion on car camping spots PM me and I will give you a few options.
    Sent via my heady vibes from the heart of Pisgahstan

drunken pirate
    I would start at Turkey Pen.

Ride down to the river, turn left and then pick any of the great campsites that dot the next two miles of trail.

Set up camp, drop gear and ride some more. Easy in and out with lots of trail options. And fairly safe parking.

I do not like parking over night on the remote gravel roads like 1206. Sometimes I don't even like parking on them during the day.
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Turkey Pen sounds like a great start too. I haven't been able to make it over to my LBS to grab a Pisgah map, is there anywhere to find the free online version with trails marked?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Grab a map on the way in from Sycamore or The Hub, or get the Pisgah Map Company maps through the Avenza PDF Maps app for smart phone. They are the same maps, not free, but they are great maps and being able to pinpoint your location via GPS is a nice feature.

ready to ride
    Quote Originally Posted by crankdriven View Post
    Turkey Pen sounds like a great start too. I haven't been able to make it over to my LBS to grab a Pisgah map, is there anywhere to find the free online version with trails marked?
    Google Earth and download the National Geographic Topo KML overlay which can be downloaded here
    http://www.gelib.com/wp-content/uplo...ng-topo_nl.kml

Not a substitute for the real deal but great to help plan trips and assess actual elevation. Not all trails are on there, but it also has some trails that aren't on the ones you get at the bike/hiking store. I know on some trailmaps a trail looks easy, you look at it in google earth and you can see exactly what you are getting yourself into.
    Sent via my heady vibes from the heart of Pisgahstan

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mattnmtns View Post
    Google Earth and download the National Geographic Topo KML overlay which can be downloaded here
    http://www.gelib.com/wp-content/uplo...ng-topo_nl.kml

Not a substitute for the real deal but great to help plan trips and assess actual elevation. Not all trails are on there, but it also has some trails that aren't on the ones you get at the bike/hiking store. I know on some trailmaps a trail looks easy, you look at it in google earth and you can see exactly what you are getting yourself into.
    Thanks, my friend! Twin Falls is looking like a great option. Between the falls and the water levels, it should be a relaxing camp.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jn35646 View Post
    Grab a map on the way in from Sycamore or The Hub, or get the Pisgah Map Company maps through the Avenza PDF Maps app for smart phone. They are the same maps, not free, but they are great maps and being able to pinpoint your location via GPS is a nice feature.
    I was going to stop by the Hub that morning anyways to grab a brew and see the new inventory. I like the Avenza idea if it supports GPS..I don't remember how ATT iphones do up there though? Also, it seems that my cousin would like to do Cat Gap to Butter Gap and Art Loeb. How does this sound?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Re: Pisgah Bike Packing Trip--Small Mileage, Safe Parking, and Camping--Help?!

Quote Originally Posted by crankdriven View Post
    I was going to stop by the Hub that morning anyways to grab a brew and see the new inventory. I like the Avenza idea if it supports GPS..I don't remember how ATT iphones do up there though? Also, it seems that my cousin would like to do Cat Gap to Butter Gap and Art Loeb. How does this sound?
    The maps for Avenza can be purchased anytime and are stored on the phone so you don't need data, just GPS to pinpoint location. Can't go wrong with the paper map of the forest though.

Butter gap is lots of fun riding down. Art Loeb you'd have to push the bikes or hike it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

mtbr member

Daniel Ridge

You might also consider using Daniel Ridge as a base. There's really nice camping all along the river there, with good falls and good swimming holes. The parking area is much safer for campers (IMHO) than anywhere along 1206 or 477 (Avery Creek) as there's a good flow of camping and day users in the area. You are in the center of the Hatchery trails with plenty of loops available, and it's not too hard to get up 475B and over to 1206 / Pink Beds and Laurel/Pilot.
    many gears, some pies

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by driftwood View Post
    I would start at Turkey Pen.

Ride down to the river, turn left and then pick any of the great campsites that dot the next two miles of trail.
    Seconded. I have a map of the area you can use here and download KML/GPX, but I too recommend buying the Pisgah Map Company paper version on the way in. Have fun!