Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Pisgah Area SORBA meeting at the Hub.

Come one, come all.

6:30 pm Monday 10/14
    He/she who works the trails does so in their own image, NOT YOURS.

Speed just slows me down...

mtbr member
    Bump

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2bfluid View Post
    Bump
    So for those of us who couldn't make it... who has the meeting minutes? Anything accomplished, what's the haps....? Let's get an update here. Its Pisgah... the leaves are falling the trails are slipperyIs PAS taking a stand on appealing the Courhouse Creek project? Will trail work be active again soon? Are there too many races in Pisgah?What trails are being worked on? Are all of our trails being turned into IMBA-UN-EPICS?
    BS'ing less, riding more.

Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

banned
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by extrmtao View Post
    So for those of us who couldn't make it... who has the meeting minutes? Anything accomplished, what's the haps....? Let's get an update here. Its Pisgah... the leaves are falling the trails are slipperyIs PAS taking a stand on appealing the Courhouse Creek project? Will trail work be active again soon? Are there too many races in Pisgah?What trails are being worked on? Are all of our trails being turned into IMBA-UN-EPICS?
    They haven't mastered the follow up just yet.

rsa
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004

I imagine the meeting minutes and followup will be posted on the PAS website sometime over the next week or two, per the usual protocol.

mtbr member
    Chuck is the club's secretary and takes the minutes. I believe that he is out of town caring for an ailing family member. Sorry he didn't jump to meet your needs Sassy.

rsa
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Hope my reply didn't come across as critical. My feeling is that PAS has no obligation to post anything on MTBR, and I was just trying to direct people to the PAS website. The 1-2 week interval for posting of meeting minutes is great for a volunteer organization.

I personally don't like any negative energy directed toward these volunteers and apologize if my post came across differently.

mtbr member
    Not at all RSA. I think your second post is dead on.Thx

mtbr member
    Good Lawwwwddd,I wasn't asking for anything official. I just thought maybe ya had some news to share but no worries. A little light heartedness could go a long way but I know everyone is sensetive to all things mountain bike club on this forum. Maybe you all should come have a beer with UpState SORBA... or come to our Scardey Cat Alley Cat in Greenville Oct 30th... We'll teach ya'll how to have some fun.

Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

mtbr member
    Chuck is the club's secretary and takes the minutes. I believe that he is out of town caring for an ailing family member. Sorry he didn't jump to meet your needs Sassy.
    Minutes are taken at each PAS meeting, whether a 'general membership' meeting (like the Hub meeting) or a Board of Directors meeting (alternating months with general membership meetings). When written up, minutes are distributed for review, comment, and edit/correction by all BOD members. After approval by the BOD, minutes are posted on the PAS website. Discerning readers should understand that this process precludes instantaneous release of meeting minutes; if you really need 'instant', you need to be there!

So, the minutes from the PAS general membership meeting at the Hub have distributed to the BOD for review, comment, and approval. They'll be posted on the PAS website when approved...

TZ
    Geriatric mountain biker and trail maintainer... ...with digital braking!

mtbr member

Re: Pisgah Area SORBA meeting at the Hub.

Goodlaaaawd is right. I guess we are gun shy after the what used to be hyper critical, over literal, pretty much hatin' few around here. I'll test the waters.

So IMHO the basic gist was the year in review. The cliff notes version of the night is as follows:

First of all the Hub was awesome. Sooooo much better the Beefobradys. Thanks guys.

Hendo Bike Park has now been funded, for the most part, and phase two should start soon. It has been applauded by the community and has kids and adults all over it, every day. Phase two will consist of a skills progression that should cover beginners to hard cores. Thanks to Sycamore for going after a grant from Specialized???

Lower trace is coming along and about 1/2 finished. We may bring in a machine to pull stumps and move some dirt. It will then be hand finished by volunteers.

PAS been approved for an RTP grant for 59 miles of basic maintenance on PNF trails and for a reroute on Spencer. The USFS made the call on Spencer. We are going to try to make the reroute reflect the character of Pisgah and it will not be low bid. It will not be a "cake walk" type trail.

There was a lot of discussion about the forest service and where they are coming from and our intentions. We want more quality trails that reflect the feel of Pisgah and the USFS wants their trail system to be maintained. Once the sections that are in direct violation of the Clean Water Act are rerouted or fixed, expect more connector trails or trails that get you off the roads. And then maybe, just maybe, new trails.

There was a lot of discussion about Upper Black Mountain, no one has the answers yet.

Before the shutdown we had a crew hit Laurel Mtn to do some over due maintenance. It sounds like that did a lot and it is hard to tell they were there. Perfect. And a ton of work has taken place in Bent Creek this year.

I am sure there was more. Check the PAS web site if you want the official scoop. It should be up soon.

Big Mac

Goodlaaaawd is right. I guess we are gun shy after the what used to be hyper critical, over literal, pretty much hatin' few around here. I'll test the waters.

So IMHO the basic gist was the year in review. The cliff notes version of the night is as follows:

First of all the Hub was awesome. Sooooo much better the Beefobradys. Thanks guys.

Hendo Bike Park has now been funded, for the most part, and phase two should start soon. It has been applauded by the community and has kids and adults all over it, every day. Phase two will consist of a skills progression that should cover beginners to hard cores. Thanks to Sycamore for going after a grant from Specialized???

Lower trace is coming along and about 1/2 finished. We may bring in a machine to pull stumps and move some dirt. It will then be hand finished by volunteers.

PAS been approved for an RTP grant for 59 miles of basic maintenance on PNF trails and for a reroute on Spencer. The USFS made the call on Spencer. We are going to try to make the reroute reflect the character of Pisgah and it will not be low bid. It will not be a "cake walk" type trail.

There was a lot of discussion about the forest service and where they are coming from and our intentions. We want more quality trails that reflect the feel of Pisgah and the USFS wants their trail system to be maintained. Once the sections that are in direct violation of the Clean Water Act are rerouted or fixed, expect more connector trails or trails that get you off the roads. And then maybe, just maybe, new trails.

There was a lot of discussion about Upper Black Mountain, no one has the answers yet.

Before the shutdown we had a crew hit Laurel Mtn to do some over due maintenance. It sounds like that did a lot and it is hard to tell they were there. Perfect. And a ton of work has taken place in Bent Creek this year.

I am sure there was more. Check the PAS web site if you want the official scoop. It should be up soon.
    Thank you.

mtbr member
    Goodlaaaawd is right. I guess we are gun shy after the what used to be hyper critical, over literal, pretty much hatin' few around here. I'll test the waters.So IMHO the basic gist was the year in review. The cliff notes version of the night is as follows:First of all the Hub was awesome. Sooooo much better the Beefobradys. Thanks guys.Hendo Bike Park has now been funded, for the most part, and phase two should start soon. It has been applauded by the community and has kids and adults all over it, every day. Phase two will consist of a skills progression that should cover beginners to hard cores. Thanks to Sycamore for going after a grant from Specialized???Lower trace is coming along and about 1/2 finished. We may bring in a machine to pull stumps and move some dirt. It will then be hand finished by volunteers.PAS been approved for an RTP grant for 59 miles of basic maintenance on PNF trails and for a reroute on Spencer. The USFS made the call on Spencer. We are going to try to make the reroute reflect the character of Pisgah and it will not be low bid. It will not be a "cake walk" type trail. There was a lot of discussion about the forest service and where they are coming from and our intentions. We want more quality trails that reflect the feel of Pisgah and the USFS wants their trail system to be maintained. Once the sections that are in direct violation of the Clean Water Act are rerouted or fixed, expect more connector trails or trails that get you off the roads. And then maybe, just maybe, new trails.There was a lot of discussion about Upper Black Mountain, no one has the answers yet.Before the shutdown we had a crew hit Laurel Mtn to do some over due maintenance. It sounds like that did a lot and it is hard to tell they were there. Perfect. And a ton of work has taken place in Bent Creek this year. I am sure there was more. Check the PAS web site if you want the official scoop. It should be up soon.
    Muchas Gracias....Exactly what I was looking for. Congratulations to those involved with accomplishments this year.

Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

mtbr member

Re: Pisgah Area SORBA meeting at the Hub.

I just remembered that I did forget a couple big discussion points from the meeting at the hub

The National Public Lands Day project was a huge success. We had about 65 volunteers come out to Dupont to clear the corridor on the Hickory Mountain Trail reroute. The new alignment will be much, much more entertaining and longer than the old alignment.

There are several work days scheduled for Pisgah. There will be machine work on Lower Black clearing drains for those so inclined. And there will also be a work day on Lower Trace for those that love hand built trail. Pick your poison. There is also a litter clean up for the road to Bent Creek.

Check the PAS website for details. We could use your help.
    Thanks

[URL] http://www.pisgahareasorba.org/?cat=5 /URL]

banned
    Aug 2013
    The responses in this thread reaffirm what kind of Mtnbikers represent WNC.

mtbr member
    Geriatric mountain biker and trail maintainer... ...with digital braking!

drunken pirate
    Any Courthouse Creek Timber Sale discussion?
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

rsa
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Anyone know more about plans for the N Mills area, aside from the new trail work that PAS and the horsemen have been working on?

The trails grant sounds promising.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch on 1206 View Post
    The responses in this thread reaffirm what kind of Mtnbikers represent WNC.
    Name:  do_tell.jpg
Views: 1694
Size:  37.2 KB
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Looking like upper Spencer will have a reroute and some work will take place on lower Spencer.

banned
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    Name:  do_tell.jpg
Views: 1694
Size:  37.2 KB
    Ur doin a fine job....carry on.

drunken pirate
    Quote Originally Posted by rsa View Post
    Anyone know more about plans for the N Mills area, aside from the new trail work that PAS and the horsemen have been working on?

The trails grant sounds promising.
    The woods around 5050 and 5051 were sprayed with herbicide last week (it is astounding that they would spray and herbicide that close to such an important fishery and water source) and the realignment of Foster Creek Rd. to allow for logging access is almost complete. So, it looks like the Brushy Ridge logging project is going to get started within the next year. Riding around the North Mills River Recreation Area is going to be changing. Bear Branch, Wash Creek, Yellow Gap and Foster Creek trails are all going bye, bye and others are going be impacted by the timber sale as well. The trail re-routes are good but are only a very small part of what is going to be happening in that area.
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch on 1206 View Post
    Ur doin a fine job....carry on.
    Maybe one day we can all be like you.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

Big Mac

Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    Maybe one day we can all be like you.
    I'm sure we could be, but would we really want to be?

rsa
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Thanks for all of the info.

Which one is foster creek road? Also, when discussing re-routing on upper spencer, are you referring to the rocky and steep part descending from the trace ridge intersection down toward never ending road? Am I correct in assuming that the climb up spencer from wash creek rd toward trace wouldn't be impacted?

Finally, any plans for work on upper trace (especially the rutted out portions)? Love that trail, but erosion in sections has gotten much worse over the years.

Thanks for any other info.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast