mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Pisgah area route advise for this weekend

Hey folks, Im looking for a little feedback on a burly weekend Im putting together for myself and a buddy in from France. Hes mostly been restricted to the road over the last few years. He has a good base of miles so I want to capitalize on that while not putting him in situations over his head. Ive cobbled together a rough plan and Id appreciate some feedback, especially in light of the recent rain weve had and how the trail conditions are for this weekend.
    Friday: Fetch him at the airport in Greenville. Start ride at the Brevard Music center and take Bracken Mtn. trail to the fish hatchery and back. It looks like it might be about 18 miles. We need to keep it short as we wont start until about 3 or 4pm.
    Saturday: Pisgah Tavern to Avery Creek Rd. 276 Yellow gap road North mills road where we will do the upper loop of the Pisgah 111k Return via YGR 276 Avery Creek rd. Tavern (get drunk). I suspect this might be in the 50-60 mile range with most of it being gravel.
    Sunday: Dupont , I have an 18 mile loop already plotted out that I am pretty familiar with. Afterwards will drop him off at the Greenville airport.

Many thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Seems like a reasonable plan. I take it you already know all those routes? Bracken Mtn. can be slick when there's been recent rain, and is quite steep in the beginning for a non-climber. Doing an out and back seems smart if you have a time constraint, just in case something goes wrong.

Everything has been pretty miserably muddy, so a gravel route is not that bad an idea.