mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Pisgah All Day and Some

Hey all you riders that are fortunate enough to live on western side of the state, I need advice.

My buddies and I are looking for a good loop that would take maybe a whole weekend. Kinda like a backpacking thing. Just a day pack, camp stove, and hammocks.

Trails that link up well, with most singletrack leaning towards downhill with most long climbs on gravel. I used to live in Boone, so I know that area very well, but looking for more of the Pisgah, Old Fort, Brevard, Dupont stuff.

I know most of you probably have some sweet link ups, so let a poor central NC rider in on some shiz. Would love for this ride to have cool campsites, waterfalls, bears even dinosaurs. Detail is appreciated.

Thanks everyone.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Upon doing my research, I found that you cannot overnight camp at Dupont. I'm doing the same thing over 3 days in Pisgah Davidson River Area in early February.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    In my experience, Old Fort is surrounded by terrible gravel climbs and fun but silly steep singletrack, probably not ideal for bikepacking.

I'd say something along 1206, would suit you. Parking at turkey pen > Bradley Creek > 1206 > Laurel > Pilot > 1206 (camp along 1206?) > 476 > Squirrel > Mullinax > parking area. Something like that would be awesome. Could be done in an extended day without camping. What are your mileage hopes?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Another thought is pull a previous set of checkpoints from a PMBAR event, map it out and do it over 2 days. Most routes tend to be 50-70 miles of singletrack/gravel. Thanks dude now you got me dreaming and counting how much vacation time I have....haha

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

drunken pirate
    The Pisgah 99 route would be good.
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

I Love Bikes and Parts
    Jun 2009

Follow up

Plenty of great trailside camping area in Mills River area. Most all of the trails there link up one way or another with all of Pisgah which includes Mills River, Bent Creek and Bennett Gap/Black Mountain in Brevard, NC. Not to be confused with Kitsuma that is in Black Mtn, NC.

Dupont is maybe 15 min drive up the road from Brevard so plan for an extra day to ride there if you want to see all the area has to offer. Hit me up if you want more guidance.
    http://www.pushpedalride.com
    Buy and Sell Used Bike Parts

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I appreciate all this info fellas. I need to get out of these flat lands. My bikes deserve me than this, me too