Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Pink Beds

2K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  kjlued 
#1 · (Edited)
Is there a preferred route / ride of about 15 miles that includes pink beds? Which trialhead would work best? :thumbsup:

Thanks for any tips. I always ride from the ranger station or fish hatchery and have never ventured over towards the pink beds.

#2 ·
From the fish hatchery or ranger station you are looking at more than 15 miles if you include the Pink Beds

There is parking at the Pink Beds Trail loop and from there you could connect in South Mills River, Buckhorn, Black Mtn, Avery Creek Rd and then ride up 276 for about a mile back to the car.

That may be a little more than 15 miles but if you park at the Fish Hatchery or Ranger Station, you will probably ride a lot more paved road and do closer to 30 miles before you get back to the car.

BTW, if you don't already have one, I highly recommend stopping in the Hub or Sycamore Cycle and getting the trail map. They are about $15 but well worth every penny. Make sure it the one by Pisgah Map Company.

#3 ·
Thanks for the route suggestion, I was thinking that the Pink Beds Parking lot would be the best bet. I was looking at some of the trails you mentioned and wasn't sure if there was a best direction.

I have the first version of the PMC map and use it like crazy... it is a great map.

Appreciate the tips!

#4 ·
I couldn't tell you for sure what is the better way to go as I have not done that loop.
Of course it would be a matter of opinion anyways.

From just looking at the map, I think I personally would want to stay on the easier trail to warm up and finish on the more technical stuff so I would start at the Pink Beds and do it in the direction I posted it (at least for the first time).

Also, I think a better time to visit it would be in April as close to the 15th as you can get (after April 15th it is closed to bikes) in hopes to see the blossoms.

#5 ·
Pink Beds parking lot over to South Mills River. Up SMR to Buckhorn Gap,
Up the stairs to take Black Mountain over to Club Gap. CG comes out on a gravel road. Hang a right and you will hit 276 about 1/4 mile south of the PB parking lot. This is about a 10-11 mile loop. The only problem is that there is a creek crossing just before you get to SMR that will definitely involve getting your feet wet. So bring some spare socks if it's cold out.

#7 ·
Thanks! Me and my girlfriend followed the route Mike describes... once I got from SMR to the Five Way intersection I knew where we were... we have ridden up that section of Black Mountain a few times but always taking Avery Creek down in. We went down the Club Gap trail instead and ended up at about 11 miles... pretty easy miles. That section of SMR is awesome, I wish pink beds was open year round that is a nice little starting point and you can loop some nice routes in.

By the way, there was no stream crossing that involved getting wet. I only recall one section without a bridge and it had some rocks that seem nicely placed :)

If it wasn't getting Cold and Dark I think taking Avery creek down then circling back would have been the ticket.

Thanks for the tips! Pisgah keeps getting better and better!

#8 ·
I'm pretty sure you could start at the Horse Stables (instead of Ranger station saves you 1.8 miles each way) and go up Clawhammer, down Buckhorn Gap, through the pink beds, up 477 to Bennet Gap, back to 477 to the car and it would come in less than 20 miles.

Another good route is Pink Beds to the guaging station , then follow the map to find the gravel roads/doubletrack that take you to the top of Horse Cove, down to Squirrel, take a right, right on South MIlls, left on Buckhorn up to the top of Clawhammer and then do Black Mtn/club gap/477/276 back as described above. That's aobut 20 exactly, although it seems like a bit more effort-wise.

#9 ·
I'm pretty sure you could start at the Horse Stables (instead of Ranger station saves you 1.8 miles each way) and go up Clawhammer, down Buckhorn Gap, through the pink beds, up 477 to Bennet Gap, back to 477 to the car and it would come in less than 20 miles.

Another good route is Pink Beds to the guaging station , then follow the map to find the gravel roads/doubletrack that take you to the top of Horse Cove, down to Squirrel, take a right, right on South MIlls, left on Buckhorn up to the top of Clawhammer and then do Black Mtn/club gap/477/276 back as described above. That's aobut 20 exactly, although it seems like a bit more effort-wise.
Yes, I've done the ride from the stables. Ends up being about 24 miles. The route that includes a bit of Squirrel looks intriguing (I suppose the 5018 portion is a necessary evil).

#11 ·
I like the idea of that route including Squirrel. After I looked, there does seem to be some possibilities in that area. Will have to try some more out. My girlfriend doesn't like hike a bike, neither do I for that matter, so I just try to be planful, especially as it gets cold.

I must have missed that bed at the end......

#14 ·
yes, 5018. swoodbrn, I wouldn't call 5018 an evil at all this time of year. The views are beautiful and the thorns have died back. (I have been on that ride when everyone had matching red tattoos on their right arms at the end) We just did it week before last. gorgeous ride.

#15 ·
Thanks for the input on the route. I'm still unsure about leaving a car at Turkey Pen parking lot. How is the break-in situation? I'd rather leave a car at the Walmart than the Turkey Pen parking lot. Is it a bad idea to ride from Turkey Pen to the Walmart on 280?

#16 ·
Thanks for the input on the route. I'm still unsure about leaving a car at Turkey Pen parking lot. How is the break-in situation? I'd rather leave a car at the Walmart than the Turkey Pen parking lot. Is it a bad idea to ride from Turkey Pen to the Walmart on 280?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.