Thread: Pinehurst

DLP
    mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Pinehurst

Going to be in Pinehurst in a couple weeks visiting my in laws. Going to be forced to golf ( I suck), but would like to bring the bike and do a little of me time and get out on some trails. Anything local or within a half hour?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Devil's Ridge?

Quote Originally Posted by DLP
    Going to be in Pinehurst in a couple weeks visiting my in laws. Going to be forced to golf ( I suck), but would like to bring the bike and do a little of me time and get out on some trails. Anything local or within a half hour?
    Maybe Devil's Ridge in Sanford. Don't know the area well enough to say.

B

mtbr member
    Sep 2003
    There are a few noteable trails that I would suggest, though they are a bit further than 30 minutes. Lake Crabtree in Raliegh (about 1:30 from Pinehurst) is smooth, fast, and a great ride. Bur-Mill in Greensboro is a great all around trail (that too is about 1:30 from Phurst). Another trail of note, again and hour and fifteen away, is Uwharrie National Forest. And lastly, there is a great trail network in Chapel Hill, but that too is an hour and a half from Pinehurst...looks like you're gonna have to drive a bit in my opinion. When is your visit? If it lines up with my off time, I'd be happy to show you our trails.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Sanford area trails will be your best bet. Governers Creek & Devils Ridge.

See MTBR reviews for directions/info.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Cheraw State Park is about 1 hour from Phurst. Not a bad place to get in a ride. I've hit it a few times myself when visiting the parents in Phurst.

mtbr member

Sanford

As Dodo said, you might want to check out the town of Sanford. There are two trails there, Devil's Ridge and San Lee Park. I think Sanford is only about 30 minutes from Pinehurst.

Go to trianglemtb.com for directions and descriptions (listed under Sanford Trails).

Each trail is about 5-7 miles in length. I've ridden them and they are decent.

DLP
    mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Thanks for the info! Going to be down there 14th through the 20th. Exact schedule is up in the air due my wifes inability to plan anything ahead. Going to try to hit Myrtle beach and Emerald Isle at some point. Got a brother in the service in Va. that I'm going to try to see as well. I really need a month's vacation to get all the stuff done that I need to!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2003
    good luck DLP, you may need it with just 6 days and you wanna go 3 hours south and probably the same north...Norfolk area for your military family member? Enjoy the trip at any rate...

DLP
    mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Yeah, It's looking like a pain in the ass. Going to try to drive to NC in one straight shot. Couple days with the inlaws in P'Hurst, try to get a ride in then. Have some relatives in Cary who owe me a beer, then to Emerald Isle where I have some other relatives (skipping Myrtle Beach). Then on to Virginia. I really have a week and a half vacation but need to come back home and do some work on the house for a couple days before, I hate to say it since today it was 101 in upstate NY, the snow flies.