mtbr member
    May 2008

Pilot Cove Loop - Slate Rock

How does the Pilot Cove-Slate Rock compare with Laurel Mtn and Pilot Rock? I'm trying to decide if I should definitely do it, or skip that section to have time to grab a couple beers at the Hub and save my legs for the following two days of riding.

mtbr member
    If you are talking about doing Laurel>Pilot and then Pilot Cove>Slate Rock, most people I know call that "Outer-Inner." It's one of my mostests favoritests rides ever. The view from Slate Rock, IMHO, is the best singletrack-by-bike view in Pisgah District. The woods are beautiful and the trails are excellente.

Official Cooler Inspector
    Both require going up something. Your downhill interests would be the deciding factor. Heck, just go to the Hub.
    WK: What year is this? (Friday, I wish... oh how I wish.)

mtbr member
    Since we are both flat landers, I would say that it's definitely a great route. Laurel is great, you have some hike a bike near the top and Pilot going down is obviously well worth the hike.

Pilot Cove\Slate Rock, you have that initial steepness, the lookout point and then a really awesome long down hill.

I really like this combo, I was definitely tired being just a normal flat lander that's done a moderate to reasonable amount of Pisgah riding.