When did you get here?!?!

past PMBAR racers: to the green courtesy phone please...

Hey everybody!
    Well, it's that time of year, I'm thinking about the next Pisgah MTB Adventure. I've already got a few big name sponsors lined-up to donate product for prizes and the Asheville Humane Society raffle. The permit is ready to go, I'm just tweeking it a little here and there. So, forward progress is being made. One thing I'm still thinking about is checkpoint locations and that's where I'd like a little input from you guys.

What do you think about the current distance/time in the saddle? Too much? not enough? Just right?

Are there any spots you think I should consider for checkpoint locations? If you've got a good one, PM me.

I've got some pretty far-out ideas rolling around in my head, so don't worry, my creativity hasn't dried up or anything. I'm just interested in hearing your thoughts.

~E
    You can please some people sometimes but you can't please all the people all the time.
    ERIC'S RIDE LOG

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pisgahproductions
    Hey everybody!
    Well, it's that time of year, I'm thinking about the next Pisgah MTB Adventure. I've already got a few big name sponsors lined-up to donate product for prizes and the Asheville Humane Society raffle. The permit is ready to go, I'm just tweeking it a little here and there. So, forward progress is being made. One thing I'm still thinking about is checkpoint locations and that's where I'd like a little input from you guys.

What do you think about the current distance/time in the saddle? Too much? not enough? Just right?

Are there any spots you think I should consider for checkpoint locations? If you've got a good one, PM me.

I've got some pretty far-out ideas rolling around in my head, so don't worry, my creativity hasn't dried up or anything. I'm just interested in hearing your thoughts.

~E
    I know my partner and I like the idea of there being more checkpoints. Keep the distance/challange about the same but add in more checkpoints (like the double dare) for extra incentive. Maybe you want to stick with the 5 points though?

Maybe a different mandatory. . .?

Not too much to change about the greatest race all year.
    BS'ing less, riding more.

Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

mtbr member
    E- we'll talk and I do think you should/could add new sections of the forest, more total checkpoints requiring a little bit more route planning, etc. but I would not want to see the event get physically harder/longer.
    Why?
    As is, it's challenging for the people gunning for the top and do-able for the people just trying to finish- but a lot of people don't make it in.
    A perfect balance, IMO.
    Mike

Drinker w/ Riding Problem
    I know that the checkpoints are manned by volunteers, but if you could get those voluteering groups to commit to having the checkpoints like Matt did last year, stocked with Cold Mtn Dews and snacks, that was awesome , maybe just Gu's and leftover KeyLime Luna bars from DoubleDare? maybe a PBR or two with music playing?

mtbr member
    Brado- on the other hand...I would prefer nothing other than a volunteer, or maybe only a "bonus" fun thing like the Mountain Dews but definitely not snacks, GU's, etc that a racer can plan on- and absolutely no water. Part of the point of this race for me is self-sufficiency. I'd much rather see that emphasis increased rather than decreased.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brown
    Part of the point of this race for me is self-sufficiency. I'd much rather see that emphasis increased rather than decreased.
    Mike
    Good point!

Category Winner
    Mandatory CP- Top of Farlow with the only legal direction of approach/exit from Farlow itself.
    Yes.
    Death.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

Official Cooler Inspector
    Part of the point of this race for me is self-sufficiency. I'd much rather see that emphasis increased rather than decreased.

Guess that means no Tiki Bar this year?

mtbr member

Number 1

Quote Originally Posted by teamdicky
    Mandatory CP- Top of Farlow with the only legal direction of approach/exit from Farlow itself.
    Yes.
    Death.

I think the number one thing you should do is to not take advice from anyone who plans on riding a single speed in the race.

Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I did the race in 05. I would say the distance and number of checkpoints was good - don't increase or decrease the distance / time. Maybe one more check point but really don't think this is necessary at all - because the check points are spread fairly far apart it was a definate sense of accomplishment to get to each. We should have gone around the checkpoints coutnerclockwise instead of clockwise - so this meant taking Turkey Pen from east to west - something that is particularly taxing when your teammate probably couldn't ride on level ground let alone Turkey Pen. So, having experienced a lot of hike a bike I would say the most important thing for the race is to minimize that, even if you choose the "best" route. I like the level of self sufficency. I don't know what ideas are in your head but I wouldn't want to add "crazy" special tests or anything that requires more gear be purchased or carried.

Most importantly - can you gurantee that my teammate (nor myself) begins puking 1 hour into the race and eventually starts staring off into space while I am forced to move both bikes up the trail while he zig zags across the trail like a zombie. But we did finish! And both of us are hoping to do the race again.

Have you set a race date yet?

I'll do a big official announcement once I get the approved permit but the date I've requested with the Forest Service is Saturday May 5th. Registration will open via active.com on Feb. 1.

~E
    You can please some people sometimes but you can't please all the people all the time.
    ERIC'S RIDE LOG

mtbr member

PMBAR checkpoint locations

I am with TeamDicky on this one, I would like to see a mandatory Farlow Gap checkpoint, too. Other good checkpoint locations: Squirell Gap/Cantrell Creek and Butter Gap/Long Branch from the Double Dare. The CatGap/Butter gap section is closed in summer so that Butter Gap/Long branch checkpoint more interesting. Maybe it is time to replace the Turkey Pen gap checkpoint with something else since each year we start the race with Black Mountain trail towards Turkey Pen ... just a thought.

H8 H8 H8

Word.

Kinda echoeing Mike here....

More checkpoints would be cool - preferably enough that it's not possible to
    get them all. That, combined with a cut-off time, would make route planning much
    more of a pain in the behind..... which would be cool.

If you do that, those who want it to be longer have the option of going for more,
    and those who do not can shoot for the minimum number of CP's to finish.

It might also help the par-tay atmosphere, as everyone would be finishing at
    more similar times, rather than having 12 hours seperate first and last.

Also, I absolutely appreciate those who have volunteered in the past to man the
    checkpoints.... but I don't personally feel that any support on the course is
    necessary. I can't imagine anybody whining about "not getting their money's
    worth" after seeing the swag table.

Got a date set? There are endurance races on the calendar already for 4/21,
    4/28, 5/5, and 5/19.

Anyway, however you do it I'm sure it'll be ALL GOOD.

Thanks,
    ZB
    Yeah, it's strange. But oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by Broussard
    Got a date set? There are endurance races on the calendar already for 4/21,
    4/28, 5/5, and 5/19.

Anyway, however you do it I'm sure it'll be ALL GOOD.

Thanks,
    ZB
    two posts above yours (you must've missed it)

I'll do a big official announcement once I get the approved permit but the date I've requested with the Forest Service is Saturday May 5th. Registration will open via active.com on Feb. 1.

~E

Burp, gargle, spit.
    Yes.
    Death.
    Oh man, death is right.

mtbr member
    Yes.
    Death.
    Talk about the devil -- check out the ride that Eric and Mike did last weekend: elwever.blog.com

I sent this as a PM to Eric, but throw it here for general discussion: Add a checkpoint for 2007, so the race will have 6 checkpoints, with minimum of 4 CPs to finish the race, 2 hr bonus for each additional checkpoint, so that the team that gets all 6 gets a 4 hr bonus. Balance the checkpoints so that 3 are on the east side (Turkey pen/Laurel Mountain/Squirell Gap/Trace ridge area) and 3 on the west side (Fish hatchery/Farlow gap area). This will give an incentive to strong riders to go for all 6.
    Last edited by prajc; 12-14-2006 at 01:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Hmmm .... hard to improve on perfection

Great things to keep the same:
    - reasonable entry fee
    - nice prizes last year!
    - keep it self supported - that's part of the adventure/challenge
    - continue to force people onto a bunch of singletrack
    - avoid Mother's Day weekend - for us married w/ kids peops out there

Definately don't make it shorter.

Keep a high challenge factor on the navigation / route choice.

Perhaps another CP (with 5 required and spacing closer)? The Double Dare was cool in that respect - so many checkpoints and route options that people spread out pretty quick and route choice was trickier.

Mandatory on Farlow? ... hmmm - now there's an idea .... but I don't think those crazy SSer's would want to get behind us gearheads climbing Farlow

mtbr member
    i think we'd all be climbing farlow the same way: with our bikes in hand.
    My one says BRAP!

mtbr member

Chutes and Ladders

Quote Originally Posted by plume
    i think we'd all be climbing farlow the same way: with our bikes in hand.
    I will bring climbing gear this year instead of a bike.

Chutes and Ladders is my new nickname for this race.

Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

Quote Originally Posted by extrmtao

Chutes and Ladders is my new nickname for this race.
    heh. You guys have NO idea...

big announcement in the next day or so.
    ERIC'S RIDE LOG

mtbr member
    heh. You guys have NO idea...

big announcement in the next day or so.
    That is soooooooooo not cool, you are just being mean teasing us like that.

Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

Official Cooler Inspector
    Eric "Special Rules" are oddly exciting to me - but then, I'm not racing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Did I miss the big announcement? Eager minds want to know!

drunken pirate
    If no one else has noticed - it looks like the pisgahproductions.com website has been updated for this years race . No real changes are apparent from last year but I'm hoping we are going to Farlow and beyond