pronounced may-duh

PAS group ride sunday at the fish hatchery

This weeks Pisgah Area SORBA group ride will be starting at the Fish Hatchery parking lot. The ride starts at 10:00 AM, Sunday 8/20. This ride is open to all skill levels. There will be a faster group for the superheroes and a slower group for the newbies, outa shape people and cripples. You don't have to be a SORBA member to come and ride. Just show up a 10:00AM on sunday with a working bike, a helmet, some water and get ready to have some fun in the woods. See ya'll there!

PS There will be a optional swim after the ride

Official Cooler Inspector
    Some "cripples" prefer to be called "Functionally Disabled", thank you very much.

May not make this one. If I do - I'd be willing a carpool.

mtbr member
    At the moment I have plans to go to the lake but they are kinda sketchy at the moment.......If they fall through I'll be there........

Philosophizer
    What are you guys gonna ride?
    I hate rude behavior in a man.....won't tolerate it. - Woodrow F Call.

pronounced may-duh
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker66
    What are you guys gonna ride?
    Not sure. I'm not the organizer. I'm just a guy who posts about the rides here to get the word out. What we ride seams to depend on what level of riders show up. There is usually two groups. The fast group that goes on a bigger ride and a slower group that goes on a smaller ride. I suppose if we had a huge crowd we could split into three groups. Somebody will lead and sweep each group. I expect those group leaders have a plan. I bet rider input on the planned route would be welcome. Come check it out. You might meet some new people and have some fun.

Philosophizer
    Sounds like a good time. I'm gonna ride Farlow from there on Sat. If I can get away I'll try to be there. Red Ranger/ Blue Bullit.

XC Champion
    May 2006
    What group would I fit in with my 45 lb Transition Dirtbag? I can't go up very fast but I can go down...

mtbr member
    Well it looks like the the lake is out.....so I should be there This will be my second MTN bike ride just got a haro v4 so ill have to go with the wimpy group until I can learn how to Not hit a tree.............any way I'll be in a 2006 Black Xterra if you see me say hi to the new slow guy....

pronounced may-duh
    Quote Originally Posted by drkenan
    What group would I fit in with my 45 lb Transition Dirtbag? I can't go up very fast but I can go down...
    mtnbiker66 is expecting to ride a bullit. Isn't that like a big hit freeride type bike?

I guess it depends on how darn slow you are climbing. These kind of rides include a fair share of climbing. The faster group almost always includes some crazy fast guy on a single speed. Those single speed folks don't have the option of climbing slowly. I've also ridden with guys on fully rigid bikes that have no problems keeping pace on the downhills. But it's all good. I'd like to think this is a very accepting group and there is room for all types.

Have you ridden the trails around the hatchery? What is your typical ride consist of? Do you normally climb or just do shuttle runs with that beast?

Maybe the question is do you want to be in a group where your dragging your a$$ on the climbs or a group where your waiting for people to catch up after the descents.

Philosophizer
    I just got in from riding Farlow, now thats a fun climb on the bullit!The big rock garden is responsible for the blood flowing down my led and my throbing knee.

Drinker w/ Riding Problem
    I just got in from riding Farlow, now thats a fun climb on the bullit!The big rock garden is responsible for the blood flowing down my led and my throbing knee.
    That's the wonderful thing about Farlow Gap, it leaves you with more than just a couple of fond memories... i know i left my mark there a couple of times, in a couple of places!

mtbr member
    Good riding with everyone today
    Glad I got a chance to meet everyone.
    ..........Hope I didnt slow you guys down to much.........Jeff

Philosophizer
    Good times riding this morning. Nothing like Caney in a downpour,wet roots and mud......yeeeehaw! Good to put a few faces with names.

XC Champion
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Maida7
    mtnbiker66 is expecting to ride a bullit. Isn't that like a big hit freeride type bike?

I guess it depends on how darn slow you are climbing. These kind of rides include a fair share of climbing. The faster group almost always includes some crazy fast guy on a single speed. Those single speed folks don't have the option of climbing slowly. I've also ridden with guys on fully rigid bikes that have no problems keeping pace on the downhills. But it's all good. I'd like to think this is a very accepting group and there is room for all types.

Have you ridden the trails around the hatchery? What is your typical ride consist of? Do you normally climb or just do shuttle runs with that beast?

Maybe the question is do you want to be in a group where your dragging your a$$ on the climbs or a group where your waiting for people to catch up after the descents.
    I actually haven't ridden the trails around the hatchery but am very excited to go soon. I don't mind climbing the 45 lb beast at all, but I am a little slow going up. I've had her for 2 weeks now and have climbed up to Green's Lick about 6 times and Kitsuma once. I guess when it comes down to it, I'd probably rather be in the slow group and have to wait on the descent.

Other than that, I hope you guys had fun today. I woke up this morning and it was absolutely pouring so I assumed that it was called off, but we all know what assuming does. I hope you guys had fun and I will definitely make one of these rides soon...

Official Cooler Inspector
    And to think... I could have been riding instead of installing a ceiling fan.

Rained all day here in Asheville. Ya'll get a break down that way?

pronounced may-duh
    Glad to see people had a good time despite the rain. We did Caney Bottoms and most everybody left after that. But the sun came out and those who remained rode up and over to Butter Gap trail then climbed out on long branch because of the seasonal closure. My computer was reading 27miles when we finally made it back to the parking lot. Thats a pretty big day of riding for me. I was really feeling it on that last bit of the climb out on Long Branch. Good times!

This comimg Sunday, we meet at the Ranger Station parking lot. I would expect that the Black Mtn. Trail will be involved somehow.

Philosophizer
    I vote Maxwell to Black and finish with rest of the Big M....

pronounced may-duh
    I vote Maxwell to Black and finish with rest of the Big M....
    That sounds like a plan