Thread Killer

Parkway closed NC191 to NC151

Reports in the media are that the Parkway will be closed from NC191 to NC151 from Monday until April 15:

The Blue Ridge Parkway will be closed between State Route 191 and State Route 151. | BlueRidgeNow.com

Anyone know if this is an area closure? My guess is yes, which means no one is supposed to use the Parkway in that section -- bikes included.

Official Cooler Inspector
    They usually shut that section down in the winter anyway, but hate to hear you can't ride it - especially with this warm winter. I assumed they were dealing with trees and the old rock slide issues when I heard about it. Regardless, I'll take a safer tunnel over a dead tree or boulder falling any day.
    Crack myself up: "I wait till the opossum hits the deck water dish to call it a night."

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I have ridden these closures for years. I have had many a good conversation with Parkway personnel while riding closed sections. As long as you show whomever is up there working the road respect by slowing way down, be sociable and stay out of their way all should be well. Same goes for the gravel. As one Parkway employee told me long ago, "If you act like and ass***, you'll be treated like one". Kind'a like real life.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by pisgahrider View Post
    i have ridden these closures for years. I have had many a good conversation with parkway personnel while riding closed sections. As long as you show whomever is up there working the road respect by slowing way down, be sociable and stay out of their way all should be well. Same goes for the gravel. As one parkway employee told me long ago, "if you act like and ass***, you'll be treated like one". Kind'a like real life.
    > +1

Big Mac
    I have ridden these closures for years. I have had many a good conversation with Parkway personnel while riding closed sections. As long as you show whomever is up there working the road respect by slowing way down, be sociable and stay out of their way all should be well. Same goes for the gravel. As one Parkway employee told me long ago, "If you act like and ass***, you'll be treated like one". Kind'a like real life.
    This is true a lot of the time, but not always the case. And the Park Service has a way of letting you know when it's not.

drunken pirate
    How were y'all riding through the closure last year? That was a serious gate!
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

banjo plunker, wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    This is true a lot of the time, but not always the case. And the Park Service has a way of letting you know when it's not.
    This is very true, just be respectful...remember you are representing everyone of us in everything you say and do to parkway associates!
    any time spent riding a bicycle is re-cycled goodness....

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by driftwood View Post
    How were y'all riding through the closure last year? That was a serious gate!
    5000, 151, 276, Big Creek, 215

Thread Killer
    I'm not certain we're all on the same page here.

The closures we normally get during winter are not "area closures." They're normal, happen every year when the weather is bad, and foot traffic and bike traffic are permissible. Just be careful of the ice in the tunnels.

What I'm referring to, and what I asked about for this one, is whether the tunnel work will necessitate an "area closure." That is: NO travel, by anyone other than Parkway/construction staff, for a section of the Parkway.

Last year's closure was an "area closure" near the slide. You could still approach the big barrier from 191, but couldn't go past -- thus the "NO BIKES" and "NO HIKING" signs. That barrier got really big after some folks poached a smaller barrier in the winter of 2010.

So, to my original question: Is this an area closure? Are they just going to "area close" near the tunnel so we can hike/ride it from other points? Or are they closing down all access?

Big Mac
    That's around, not through!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    That's around, not through!
    Nope, these are places where I get on/off the parkway at times of BRP closures, depending on what loop I am riding. North Mills > 5000 > BRP > 215 > state road @Balsam Grove > 475 > 475B > 276 > Yellow Gap back, is "around" much of my area of the forest.

drunken pirate
    Crossboy, I don't know the answer to your question but I do understand what you are asking.

pisgahrider,
    Nope, these are places where I get on/off the parkway at times of BRP closures, depending on what loop I am riding. North Mills > 5000 > BRP > 215 > state road @Balsam Grove > 475 > 475B > 276 > Yellow Gap back, is "around" much of my area of the forest.
    So, what you are saying is that you don't ride through the closures as you said in your initial post in this thread:

I have ridden these closures for years. I have had many a good conversation with Parkway personnel while riding closed sections. As long as you show whomever is up there working the road respect by slowing way down, be sociable and stay out of their way all should be well.
    The gate they put up last year between 5000 and 151 was very tough to ride around or climb over. I doubt a few kind words would have gotten a bike through it....
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

Big Mac
    Around, as in not "through". Not around as in, "around here". Your routes go around the closures, not through them.

Rock Gardener
    Sep 2005
    I spoke with someone from the Park Service today, and was informed that this section will be open to foot and bicycle traffic.