Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: "CHIEF"'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    430

    Parking Tickets @ Turkey Pens

    Forest Service Law Enforcement out in force on Sunday. Tickets are $75 per car if parked in horse trailer side of the parking lot. Apparently that exists between the two signs. Somewhere not so clearly delineated. No warnings. Just seriousness. $50 ticket and $25 processing fee. I did not get a ticket myself but witnessed it going on. I assume that the same will be happening in Bent Creek at Rice Pinnacle with the signs and newly constructed fencing. Good argument was made at Turkey Pens by the officer when confronted, "If you went to Wal-Mart and all the spots other than those reserved for the disabled were taken, would you park there? There are 150,000 acres to enjoy. Drive to another trailhead." Touche.
    "You can make some of the people happy some of the time, but you can't make all of the people happy all of the time."

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    377
    I picked up a ticket in Sumter NF a few years ago. The box to get the ticket was blocked from view when I entered. same thing about the charge. I was originally going to pay but the court was a two+ hour drive and if the judge did rule against me there were going to be a court fee to pay also.

  3. #3
    Big Mac
    Reputation: mbmb65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,082

    Parking Tickets @ Turkey Pens

    Is dope smoking still ok?

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    133
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    Is dope smoking still ok?
    Only at night.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mikeridesabike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,534
    I have been to TP on numerous occasions when there were no horse trailers, but tons of bikers and hikers. Seems like they could be a bit more flexible. I guess parking at the bottom of the road is still OK.

    I would hate to drive a horse trailer up that road anyway.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 2bfluid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    535

    Re: Parking Tickets @ Turkey Pens

    Fn equestrians are not part of the ADA.

    And frankly if they are not there first why should they get preferred status. They can get there early or deal with it like the rest of us, IMO. According to the USFS, horse folk are less than .9% of users in PNF, that's right not even one percent.

    They are how ever fairly affluent and have plenty of time to attend USFS meetings. They also don't tend to argue and bicker in front of the USFS about things like the definitions of Flow and sustainability, as we tend to do. They say we want parking amenities , and well they get it. The simple power of a unified and diligent voice.

    According to this board It does seem like the rangers are handing out a lot of tickets.

    Rant off.
    He/she who works the trails does so in their own image.

    Speed just slows me down...

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mikeridesabike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,534
    A buddy of mine from here in Sparkleburg told me he got a ticket a year or 2 ago for passing a ranger's car on Avery Cr. Rd. after the ranger had pulled over to the side of the road and stopped. He went to court and the prosecutor threw it out. He never did get an explanation of what it was he was supposed to have done wrong to get the ticket.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: d0nch3ad1e's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by 2bfluid View Post
    And frankly if they are not there first why should they get preferred status.
    Because if they get up there with a trailer and can't turn around everyone is screwed.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 2bfluid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    535

    Re: Parking Tickets @ Turkey Pens

    They need exactly one space to turn around a trailer. If the parking lot is full they can wait for one to open up. Just like every one else. They also have a horse they can ride up the road vs a hiker who, by the ranger's logic, should walk up if there isn't enough room to park or go somewhere else.

    I pull trailers all the time in challenging situations. Other than a truck stop where else do you get trailer parking?

    Equestrians are not disabled, just privileged.
    He/she who works the trails does so in their own image.

    Speed just slows me down...

  10. #10
    endorphin junkie
    Reputation: dobovedo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    422
    Apparently none of you have ever been to a lake where there is boat access and designated parking areas for vehicles with boat trailers. There are also designated spaces in camp grounds for RVs. It's not unreasonable to expect that at trail heads used frequently by equestrians (which whether you like it or not, is a legitimate trail use), should have a designated area where they can park and maneuver large vehicles with large trailers.

    That said, I see two legitimate reasons for complaint here:

    1 - The designated trailer parking area is not clearly delineated or signs are missing. In that case, take some photos, point it out to the FS. If you got a ticket, you could fight it in court and based on the evidence you should have no trouble winning your case. It's a good bet the FS will be told to either fix their signage or back off.
    2 - The designated trailer parking area is too large based on typical usage on a typical day, and those trailer areas regularly go unused. In this case, we non-equestrian trail users should band together and present a rational case to the FS and formally request that they reduce the trailer area to allow more "regular" vehicle parking. Document vehicle usage over a period of time - a week or two, at various times of day and days of week.
    "Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."
    T.S. Eliot

  11. #11
    CAN YOU DIG IT??!!??!!!??
    Reputation: man w/ one hand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,007
    Get caught doing something that requires you to make a court appearance & have to have a lawyer - it's gonna cost you some serious coin. It is literally "a federal case" if it's on federal land and a lawyer will "start out" about $2k to $3k just for the retainer for a decent one. FWIW, take pix , video of anything that will help in court, and this is important, you have to assume that anything you say/do is being recorded, (audio & video) and pay attention to what they are saying. When it is only audio, the FS can paint you in any light they want to (so-to-speak).
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

  12. #12
    Rogue Exterminator
    Reputation: kjlued's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,635
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeridesabike View Post
    I have been to TP on numerous occasions when there were no horse trailers, but tons of bikers and hikers. Seems like they could be a bit more flexible.
    Agreed

    Quote Originally Posted by 2bfluid View Post
    Fn equestrians are not part of the ADA.

    And frankly if they are not there first why should they get preferred status. They can get there early or deal with it like the rest of us, IMO. According to the USFS, horse folk are less than .9% of users in PNF, that's right not even one percent.

    They are how ever fairly affluent and have plenty of time to attend USFS meetings. They also don't tend to argue and bicker in front of the USFS about things like the definitions of Flow and sustainability, as we tend to do. They say we want parking amenities , and well they get it. The simple power of a unified and diligent voice.

    According to this board It does seem like the rangers are handing out a lot of tickets.

    Rant off.
    Not just that but generally speaking equestrian groups are very wealthy.

    Quote Originally Posted by dobovedo View Post
    2 - The designated trailer parking area is too large based on typical usage on a typical day, and those trailer areas regularly go unused.
    This is exactly what the problem at Turkey Pen.
    If they ever fill the space, it is only because they are spread out.



    I understand having a designated parking area for equestrian use.
    However, once the regular parking is filled up then it should become first come first serve. There is no reason that those spaces should be left empty and somebody should have to find a different trail to ride just because an another equestrian MIGHT show up.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: litespeedchick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,087
    Quote Originally Posted by 2bfluid View Post
    And frankly if they are not there first why should they get preferred status. They can get there early or deal with it like the rest of us, IMO. According to the USFS, horse folk are less than .9% of users in PNF, that's right not even one percent.

    They are how ever fairly affluent and have plenty of time to attend USFS meetings. They also don't tend to argue and bicker in front of the USFS about things like the definitions of Flow and sustainability, as we tend to do. They say we want parking amenities , and well they get it. The simple power of a unified and diligent voice.

    .
    I don't really agree w/ your first paragraph. Driving a horse trailer up that road is a horrifying experience, it would truly suck to do it and not be able to park...possibly not even be able to turn around!

    But I sure did agree with your 2nd paragraph! that was well said.

  14. #14
    Official Cooler Inspector
    Reputation: M-U-M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,619
    Without re-reading the whole thread, the "parking lot" at the bottom of the access road is a school bus turn around. No one is supposed to leave vehicles there on weekdays. I recall that some the horse folks have (had?) arrangements with area residents for their trailers so they can ride in. Another thing that may have changed - the church used to allow Saturday parking for cars. I'll see what I can find out.
    JF:That's the bootleg I have been looking for my whole life!

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    943
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    Is dope smoking still ok?
    only in the gray area

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    133
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    Is dope smoking still ok?
    After you have turned your horse trailer around!

  17. #17
    Big Mac
    Reputation: mbmb65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,082

    Parking Tickets @ Turkey Pens

    Quote Originally Posted by sjanes View Post
    only in the gray area
    Cool, thanks. Is the "gray" area clearly delineated? I don't want a ticket.

  18. #18
    Big Mac
    Reputation: mbmb65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,082

    Parking Tickets @ Turkey Pens

    Quote Originally Posted by ralph3 View Post
    After you have turned your horse trailer around!
    But in the gray area, no? This is hard.

Similar Threads

  1. Funny...no Pens fans chirping this time...
    By reformed roadie in forum Pennsylvania
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 05-10-2012, 07:20 PM
  2. Replies: 60
    Last Post: 03-14-2012, 03:40 PM
  3. Tickets
    By mweitz in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-27-2011, 09:30 PM
  4. Turkey Pen parking
    By swoodbrn in forum North & South Carolina
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-01-2011, 07:59 PM
  5. Turkey Pen parking
    By Senor StrongBad in forum North & South Carolina
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-01-2011, 12:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •