mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Paris Mt. via Swamp Rabbit?

I've dreamed for years of riding from the Cleveland Park area of Greenville to Paris Mountain. My brother in law lives near the Swamp Rabbit greenway and I know they are getting tired of my scheming over the route. Well, next time we're up there I'm doing it, going to make the time. Let me run the route by you locals and you tell me what might work better.

What I have so far is essentially Swamp Rabbit through Furman U, then a right onto Roe Ford Rd, left onto Buncombe then a right onto Altamont. Is this part of the road riders' portfolio? Seems like it from the map. Anyway, take that around until a left onto State Park Rd., and the rest sorts itself.

The other route has me hopping off of the Swamp Rabbit further south, where it crosses Highway 253. That turns into State Park Rd. From the looks of it, I would be better off here picking my way through some of the suburban side streets until well northeast of Pleasantburg.

So those are my two candidates. Thoughts?
    "Bikes aren't fast--people are fast. Bikes are overpriced. It's an important distinction."---BikeSnob NYC

mtbr member
    You can stay off of State park road which I WOULD NOT recommend riding.

Look at the map again, take the last left onto Audubon as you descend Altamont. Then a right onto Sleepy Hollow (STEEP CLIMB), right onto Fariview, left onto Oakleaf, left onto buckhorn, left onto State park. This eliminates all the 45 mph roads for you.

One last thing... A long time ago there was talk of opening up the backside of the park across the SCDOT land but it never went through. I live in TR and bike to Paris quite a bit so I understand the access issue well from the north.
    BS'ing less, riding more.

Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    You could drop in to Stoneridge Subdivision off altamont rd. and cut through the neighborhood to the back of the park. You still need to drop off your $2 for the park.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    You would have to deal with a private community and the homeowners that back up to the park. They own the park you know. At least the part that backs up to them.