mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Paris Mt. State Park (DH/FR content)

What a great park to not have some sort of downhill/freeride section. Would love to get out there and build a few stunts and what not. How would someone go about making this happen? Any locals on here have any interest in that?

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by joet3887 View Post
    Would love to get out there and build a few stunts and what not. How would someone go about making this happen?
    Contact Paris Mtn State Park

Greenville South Carolina - Paris Mountain State Park Camping - Paris Mountain State Park

I am guessing that they won't be too interested but on the off chance they are I am sure they will be interested in your trail building resume.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    sweet

mtbr member
    May 2005
    They ran a DH race around Thanksgiving for a few years but the DH trail (White Sulfur Springs) was decommissioned. They ran an Enduro last year. Just as a reminder, the trails are not open to bikes on Sat. and Kjlued is correct but if you get involved you might be able to change some minds.

Might want to check out Hilltop Bike Park
    Hilltop Bike Park Slopestyle Dirt Jump Freeride - Mountain Rest Cabins

Clemson DH in Issaqeena

2013 Paris Mtn Enduro
    Paris Wild Turkey Enduro | Cranksgiving Weekend
    This is the group you'd probably have to talk to.

mtbr member
    What a great park to not have some sort of downhill/freeride section. Would love to get out there and build a few stunts and what not. How would someone go about making this happen? Any locals on here have any interest in that?
    I'll be the naysayer even though I hate them. You're not going to make any headway for something like this in Paris Mounatin. There is already user conflicts, the park's resources are overdrawn and they won't even entertain additional trail options from a reputable (HA RIGHT!!) orginization such as UpState SORBA. With that being said, we are designing and building some more technical trail in Pleasent Ridge (off highway 11). My suggestion to you is if you want to get involved with a project and get trails you want in our community. Approach the leaders of UpState SORBA through meetings and emails (you can find these things on Upstate SORBA | The Upstate, SC chapter of the Southern Off-Road Bicycle Association / International Mountain Bike Association) and lead an effort. We are all about people taking charge and leading projects as we have very little of that going on. You could also take the stance that you don't want to partner with our orginization and that is a fine approach but you will have to start establishing the relationships with the land managers (where we already have built these up over time through conversations and MOU's) to start that off in the right direction. Either way... we are always looking for more diggers especially people who can lead work crews. Come out to a meeting and get your voice heard.
    BS'ing less, riding more.

Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by extrmtao View Post
    I'll be the naysayer even though I hate them.
    There is a difference in being a naysayer and being realistic.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Yep I'm in. Will be out there this coming Wednesday and Thursday night digging.

As for what we can not build. We built a wooden berm and widened a bridge for the last year of the downhill race and got a bunch of heat from a hiker that said we were turning the place into Dollywood. Had to go tear everything out afterwards to appease the state.

As for what we can build. There are some reroutes in the works and on the table. As Upstate SORBA being the key group that does trail maintenance out there the trails tend to get built more in the mind of the volunteer and mtn biker.

Like I stated earlier I will be out there Wednesday and Thursday evening digging out drains and working on sections of the trails. Give me a shout if interested.

J- come join if you like.

This was a sober post. No breweries tonight.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I would love to. So no stuts can be built? What about dirt features?

Rogue Exterminator
    I would love to. So no stuts can be built? What about dirt features?
    Don't know what Paris Mtn will allow but generally speaking it seems many of the state and national parks look at keeping the natural aesthetics of the park which is one reason no stunts are not allowed. It also seems that dirt features usually need to be fairly low key (as in it looks like it belongs there). Keeping those features often require people not acting like jack asses by bombing down the trail, running other users over and also people not getting hurt while using them. The more epic the features, the more epic the jack asses will be and the more epic the injuries will become. (Forest services don't like extracting injured people out of the park either.)

That being said, if you are looking to make the trails a little more fun, it might be possible to get a few small jumps and berms in there but if you are looking to make it a downhill park to push the limits of your Kona Stinky, it probably isn't going to happen.

mtbr member
    State and Federal Parks resources are already stretched thin, and stunts are awesome until little Bobby breaks his arm, and gets a concussion because the brakes on his Huffy couldn't slow him down in time. We live in a litigious society where people will rarely take responsibility for their own action.
    Pisgah Area SORBA

Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    ... your idea of technical may be much different than other peoples idea of technical.

Rogue Exterminator
    You mean to tell me if little Bobby rides his own bike under his own control and crashes it because he decided to take a jump that was beyond his capabilities and crashes his bike that that was not designed to take a roll off a curb let alone take big jump he can sue whoever owns the land?

I know it is true, but it really sounds insane when you think about.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Been there, been though this on my pump/jump track in my back yard. 1 ten year old kids broken ankle + $6000 in medical = a $250,000 homeowners insurance claim in a lawyers eyes resulting in a $40,000 payout and no more jumps. Bobby's mom dropped him off in the car so he could ride that day.

Rogue Exterminator
    I have a customer who is in litigation right now because he allowed equestrians ride through his land. Some lady got thrown from her horse when it got spooked by nature and now some how it is his fault. Face it, nobody takes responsibility for their own actions.

And no way could it be the responsibility of the 10 year old kids parent who dropped her kid off so she could probably go out and do what she wanted to do. (shopping, hang out with friends, screw her boyfriend, etc)

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Ya. I don't blame the kid but his parents ruined it
    for about 20 other kids also. Sucks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OffCamber View Post
    Ya. I don't blame the kid but his parents ruined it
    for about 20 other kids also. Sucks.
    I blame the Baby Boomers.
    Pisgah Area SORBA

Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    ... your idea of technical may be much different than other peoples idea of technical.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OffCamber View Post
    Been there, been though this on my pump/jump track in my back yard. 1 ten year old kids broken ankle + $6000 in medical = a $250,000 homeowners insurance claim in a lawyers eyes resulting in a $40,000 payout and no more jumps. Bobby's mom dropped him off in the car so he could ride that day.
    Are you serious?
    Pisses me off to no end, they should go after her ass for child neglect.
    Building my kids a pump track soon, would hate for them not to be able to invite their friends over.

Anyway, back to original post, not to bag on Paris but there really is so much more that could be done not only at Paris but G'ville in general. Grateful for what we have though, it wasn't that long ago that Firetower was the only thing we had.
    04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    Airborne Ti HT
    Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem