mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Paris Mountain State Park trails condition- 02/18/13

Kanuga is as wet, slick and muddy as I've seen it in some time and I ride Paris a lot. All the snow and moisture this past Saturday has had a pretty big impact. The most affected areas are on the steeper sections closer to the intersection with North Lake. There are also some pretty slick spots through the section starting at Fire Tower going towards Brissy Ridge. Also beware if you're coming down Pipsissewa on the fast section towards North Lake where it's normally damp- it's now really wet and slick.

Considering the trails got even more moisture overnight on Monday and into Tuesday morning, I'm hoping that they can dry out a good bit by the time Friday rolls around when the forecast calls for more rain.

The only trails I did not ride Monday were Turtle and Fire Tower. Mountain Creek, Sulphur Springs, Brissy Ridge and North Lake all seemed to be in pretty good shape and not much worse for wear. Pipsissewa was fairly dried out from the time you cross the creek (with the concrete) just before the rocky section going towards North Lake.

mtbr member
    I rode Paris Sunday, and it wasn't that bad, but most of Kanuga was still frozen then. Anytime Paris Mountain Freezes and then thaws out, it gets damp and slick. Usually it takes a day of not freezing overnight and then the trails are fine.

I agree that the rain earlier today, and later this week, will make things interesting. It is supposed to be warmer at night starting Thursday, but then it is supposed to rain 3 or 4 days between now and next Tuesday.

The steep side of Kanuga, parts of Pipsissewa, and Sulpher Springs between the bottom lot and the upper lot are usually the worst when freezing and thawing. The steep side of Kanuga is usually the wettest part after a fairly good rain.

Thanks for starting the topic. I think Paris Mountain is a great trail system, and if there were about double the amount of trails, it would rival some of the better known trail systems.
    2011 Trek Rumblefish 1