mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Wink Overnight Man vs Bike Trip: <2hrs from CLT?

6-8 dads from N. Charlotte are looking to get away for most of a weekend in late September and need trail recos and a nearby campsite (tents) reco.

Intermediate bikers who want to hit 10-15 miles of trails on a Sat afternoon...drink heavily & play with fire...and ride a few more miles in the AM, should our hangovers allow.

Two hr drive max, so Asheville/Brevard/Boone to Uwharrie are game. We typically ride LKN SP, Fischer Farm, & WWC.

Trails and reviews are easy to find, but a semi rustic/private campsite where we can get somewhat rowdy (until us old farts pass out at midnight) is the tougher ask...thanks in advice for the advice!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I say some good choices would be, ordered by distance (closest first, i think)
    -Warrior Creek/OVT/Dark Mtn - ride out campground (Warrior Creek Campground), awesome trails, tons of miles
    -Moore Springs trails near hanging rock - ride out campground (Moore Springs Campground) haven't tried the trails yet, decent miles
    -Bent Creek - ride out campground (Lake Powhatan Campground), other camping/riding options in the area, tons of miles, GREAT BEER (but you can probably purchase the same stuff in cans/bottles in CLT not draft though)
    -Rocky Knob/Beech Mtn - awesome trails, tons of runs at beech both DH and XC. Rocky Knob is great I hear. I know there are campgrounds in the area, I have camped at the public campground on the parkway and at linville, some closer options though

I have stayed at both Lake Powhatan and Moore Springs. Both are nice. Powhatan has bathhouses/showers. They also take reservations. Moore Springs is primitive with outhouses, they may have added a bathhouse by now. First come, first serve. Awesome couple of sites right on the Dan River. Never stayed at Warrior Creek, but have heard great things and they take reservations.

If I was going I would probably vote Bent Creek or Warrior Creek.

drunken pirate
    Quote Originally Posted by cjeffcampbell View Post

Trails and reviews are easy to find, but a semi rustic/private campsite where we can get somewhat rowdy (until us old farts pass out at midnight) is the tougher ask...thanks in advice for the advice!
    The Pisgah District. Get a road side camp site away from other campsites on a gravel road. FR225 and FR471 both have some very private camp sites. 1206 and 475B could be options as well. AVOID FR477 as it is a no alcohol area and is patrolled.

If you are really looking to drink, play with fire and get rowdy staying in one of the campgrounds might not be the best idea.
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Pisgah is too far - over 3 hrs. It's on the list for "someday" though! Thanks.

drunken pirate
    Quote Originally Posted by cjeffcampbell View Post
    Pisgah is too far - over 3 hrs. It's on the list for "someday" though! Thanks.
    Um, it should be under three hours from Charlotte (I used to make the drive in under two hours when I lived there) and is in between Brevard and Asheville which you list as possible options...

FR5000 could be an option to find a campsite as well. Especially if you want to ride Bent Creek.
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    You are right on, Driftwood...I was thinking of Itusi. Should be less than 2 hrs. Thanks for the recos...will post a review if we survive.

Rogue Exterminator
    I would say some of the free camping in Pisgah is up your alley.
    Maybe the Mills River district and do Laurel/Pilot

Trails are techy but nothing an intermediate rider can't do.

Than in the morning hit Trace Ridge if you have a little more riding left in you.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.