Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 45

Thread: OT: Road Riding

  1. #1
    When did you get here?!?!
    Reputation: pisgahproductions's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,681

    OT: Road Riding

    Hey Everybody!
    Let's talk about good road rides. This is the NC/SC forum not the 'Asheville/Brevard/Pisgah' forum so everyone IS invited to play along. What is your favorite local road ride? Post maps, descriptions, routes, etc. here.

    before the mileage/map/photo edit, here's my current favorite route:

    from Asheville->Town Mountain->Blue Ridge Parkway to Bull Gap->Ox Creek->Reems Creek->Hamburg Mountain to Weaverville->Weaver Blvd->Monticello->River->back to Asheville. Better known as the Ox Creek Plunge.

    alt: from Asheville->Kimberly->Beaverdam->Webb Cove (ooohhh aaahhh gravel) -> BRP....
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by pisgahproductions; 01-17-2011 at 01:52 PM.
    You can please some people sometimes but you can't please all the people all the time.
    ERIC'S RIDE LOG

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    272
    I'd be interested to hear some good ones out of Brevard. I live right by "downtown." I think I have one figured out to go down to Pickens and back, climbing up Walnut Hollow Rd.

  3. #3
    banned
    Reputation: cruso414's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,102
    My favorite route is from Canton up 215 over the parkway to Rosman, left on 64 to Brevard, 276 up and over the parkway back to Canton. About 78 miles and some of the longest climbs around WNC.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    272
    Quote Originally Posted by cruso414
    My favorite route is from Canton up 215 over the parkway to Rosman, left on 64 to Brevard, 276 up and over the parkway back to Canton. About 78 miles and some of the longest climbs around WNC.
    Holy crap, you're a beast!

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: litespeedchick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,089
    How long are you on Reems Creek, and how much traffic? The last time I rode down Ox Creek, I got to the T-interesection, saw 40 trucks fly by, chickened out and rode back up Ox Creek (ouch).

    Here in SC, we like to do a little loop called Marquis De Sade starting at North Greenville College. I'll try to find a link if anyone is interested. It can be modified to limit the sadism.

  6. #6
    banned
    Reputation: cruso414's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,102
    Quote Originally Posted by rb_daniel
    Holy crap, you're a beast!
    Not really. It's not nearly as hard as you think if you make it an all day ride. The grades are actually pretty tame except for the last 3 1/2 miles of the 276 climb to the parkway. Just past pinkbeds it starts getting a little steeper. One incredible descent all the way until you reach spingdale CC.

  7. #7
    And He was Not
    Reputation: Enoch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,591
    My son started school @ Western this year. We were coming up from Charlotte this fall to see him so I had my wife drop me off at the Arboretum and I rode the Parkway to Balsam where she picked me up @ Highway 23.That had to be one the best rides I ever had. The views on that part of the parkway are just awesome on both sides. I'll be coming back up there this spring for some more of that, even if I do it as a out and back, I see 276 and 215 on my map. Are those roads worth riding? I could make a nice loop if I used them. Also could I safely go all the way into Cullowee to Western if I went 215 to 281 to 107???

    Here is my route Route Linky, Any Chance of you guys postiing yours? You can use this service. "Bike Route Toaster"

    http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx
    The Truth is out there. Here it isThe TRUTH

  8. #8
    banned
    Reputation: cruso414's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,102
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch
    My son started school @ Western this year. We were coming up from Charlotte this fall to see him so I had my wife drop me off at the Arboretum and I rode the Parkway to Balsam where she picked me up @ Highway 23.That had to be one the best rides I ever had. The views on that part of the parkway are just awesome on both sides. I'll be coming back up there this spring for some more of that, even if I do it as a out and back, I see 276 and 215 on my map. Are those roads worth riding? I could make a nice loop if I used them. Also could I safely go all the way into Cullowee to Western if I went 215 to 281 to 107???

    Here is my route Route Linky, Any Chance of you guys postiing yours? You can use this service. "Bike Route Toaster"

    http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx
    215 has almost no traffic once you get past sunburst campground all the way to Rosman. Once you get on 64 towards Brevard you will meet the most traffic of the entire loop but once you turn left on 276, you will see a decrease in traffic unless you are in prime tourist season. If you want to know specifics on the Cullowee route to Western, pm me and I will give the email address of a woman I ride with a lot. She has taken me on that route a few times but don't know if I can remember all the turns and I don't want to get you lost.

  9. #9
    When did you get here?!?!
    Reputation: pisgahproductions's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,681
    Quote Originally Posted by litespeedchick
    How long are you on Reems Creek, and how much traffic? The last time I rode down Ox Creek, I got to the T-interesection, saw 40 trucks fly by, chickened out and rode back up Ox Creek (ouch).
    You're not on Reems Creek very long if you take the right onto Hamburg Mtn. Maybe 2-3 miles? The truck traffic hasn't been a problem since the new big housing development was finished. It's actually quite pleasant. I've found that on this route River Rd is the part that requires the hardest nerves.
    You can please some people sometimes but you can't please all the people all the time.
    ERIC'S RIDE LOG

  10. #10
    Drinker w/ Riding Problem
    Reputation: brado1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,342
    Quote Originally Posted by litespeedchick
    Here in SC, we like to do a little loop called Marquis De Sade starting at North Greenville College. I'll try to find a link if anyone is interested. It can be modified to limit the sadism.
    Link http://hubpages.com/hub/Marquis-de-S...elds-Ride-2010

  11. #11
    Official Cooler Inspector
    Reputation: M-U-M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,623
    Less aggressive all pavement putz in Bent Creek.

    Works best of you know a local or you can start from the Community Park. Basing this route from my house:

    Take a fast downhill on Donnybrook and hit every street in the neighborhood. If feeling frisky and short on time, do the same route backwards/forwards a few times. If conditions are dry - hit the park cycling loop in the dry lake bed.

    Yes, there used to be a lake here. (MB65 point credit for posting an old BC photo)

    If you need more, take an either/or on Bent Creek Ranch Road to access the Parkway and Arboretum. Wander around awhile. End with the big hill that takes you to the back service entrance of the Arboretum and Wesley Branch Rd. Go right.

    (long story)

    Return to to the Bent Creek neighborhood. Ride to the very top of Donnybrook in your big ring. Return to your original starting point, relax, a bit and then go to Papas & Beer.

    Your mileage may vary.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OT: Road Riding-bent_creek_lake.jpg  

    LTH: I incurred a head injury I could not recall, and woke up with the ability to read Icelandic fluently.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    177
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch
    My son started school @ Western this year. We were coming up from Charlotte this fall to see him so I had my wife drop me off at the Arboretum and I rode the Parkway to Balsam where she picked me up @ Highway 23.That had to be one the best rides I ever had. The views on that part of the parkway are just awesome on both sides. I'll be coming back up there this spring for some more of that, even if I do it as a out and back, I see 276 and 215 on my map. Are those roads worth riding? I could make a nice loop if I used them. Also could I safely go all the way into Cullowee to Western if I went 215 to 281 to 107???

    Here is my route Route Linky, Any Chance of you guys postiing yours? You can use this service. "Bike Route Toaster"

    http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx
    If you can find the cue sheets for the Tour De Tuck full century route, it includes the directions for riding from the Parkway down 215 to Charleys Creek Road to 281 to 107. Charleys Creek Road has the rep. of being a tough ride with numerous steep climbs as it crosses several drainages as it works it way from 215 to 281.

  13. #13
    29er zealot
    Reputation: froth14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    661

    Winston-Salem area

    Well, to be the first to chime in from my area, we have some great road riding in Winston-Salem. For lack of quality mountain bike trails within short driving distance, I have been riding the road quite a bit as of late. Most every good ride from our area involves a combination of the three monadnocks (Pilot Mountain, Hanging Rock, and Sauratown Mountain).
    Pilot Mountain

    View from the top, about 1300 feet above the Piedmont

    Moore's Wall, (Hanging Rock)

    Even the Roads between the three climbs are beautiful with views of the Blue Ridge in Virginia


    Every fall, my crew of riding friends has a casual-ish semi-organized ride around Winston, dubbed the CLM (city loop mafia) 100k. It involves three variations on what we call a, "city loop." It's one of my favorites because there's usually a pretty good crew of about 12-15 of us that show up, there's a great chili cook-off afterwards and it's all about the ride, and having fun:
    Sometimes we have some fans, and even a pro that show up

    The short, but steep, climbs in the West End always hurt

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mike Brown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2,984
    My favorite area to ride in is loops of roads around Fairview, Gerton, BatCave, Lake Lure, and Old Fort. There's a ton to do, but here's a relatively simple and hard loop.

    Park at Food Lion in Fairview.
    Right from Food Lion onto 74-A.
    Right onto Old Fort Road.
    Old Fort Road to Flat Creek Road.
    Right onto Flat Creek Road.
    Continue Straight at intersection with Garren Creek , road changes names, Moore Hill?
    Turn right across bridge
    Right onto Hwy 9.
    Right onto Hwy 74 at Bat Cave.
    Climb to Gerton
    Descend to right onto Sugar Hollow or Hill Road, it's gravel. Climb and descend.
    Right onto Hollywood road
    Left onto Garren Creek.
    Right onto Village Road at Stop sign
    Right onto 74-A back to Food Lion.
    You can do this from town using the Parkway and a little more 74-A, it's not bad for a "highway."

  15. #15
    H8 H8 H8
    Reputation: Broussard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    847
    Quote Originally Posted by cruso414
    Not really. It's not nearly as hard as you think if you make it an all day ride. The grades are actually pretty tame except for the last 3 1/2 miles of the 276 climb to the parkway. Just past pinkbeds it starts getting a little steeper. One incredible descent all the way until you reach spingdale CC.
    This is a great ride, but I do it from the south end - Tryon up to Rosman > 215 > cross Parkway > 276 > cross Parkway > stop at The Hub > say "screw riding back to Tryon" > go to D****z's house instead.

    One thing you really need to be careful of, though. You can't get beer on the the north side of the Parkway so you have to stop at the store in Rosman and hump tallboys up and over the Parkway twice. Also, you have to leave Tryon with plenty as well, because there's no convenience stores on Green River Road. Which is gravel if you're the sort of person to whine about that. Green's store on 25 is dry well. So is the pizza stop on 276. It's worth stopping though, so that you can throw up climbing the pitch on East Fork headed to Rosman.

    Road riding kicks ass.
    Yeah, it's strange. But oh well.

  16. #16
    2 wheels & a meat motor
    Reputation: Solrac the red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    214
    Here is a 28 mile loop from my house, 30 if you do the Rich Mtn Tower out and back.
    The orange is road and the red is gravel.
    Cutting through Dupont at Quarry Rd is a shorter version and includes a nice piece of single track that hardly ever gets used, Cannon Creek. Weather permitting, of course.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OT: Road Riding-rcr-2s%5B1%5D.jpg  


  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    163
    A decent 2-3 hour pave/gravel ride for cross or mtb bike, (or road bike with 32s on)

    Park near the Hub (an early am start = less traffic for the 1st leg).
    Blaze 280 to Mills River
    Turn left onto North Mills River Rd, thru the campground onto Yellow Gap (1206)
    (If you are feeling frogy tack on 5000 to the parkway and back)
    Left onto 276
    Left onto 477
    Left onto 276 back to the Hub and cold beer or good food at "The Gate Keepers Table".

    There are many variable to this, like up 5000 to the parkway and then to 276, or, if the traffic on 191 does not bother you, go all the way to Bent Creek via 191 and take any option to 5000, to Yellow Gap to 276, etc. Heck, I have even thrown in Bennett Gap for a little single track fix to tide me over until the trails dry. It is much different on a cross bike.

    Thanks for the Pilot Mtn. pic froth14. A loop from Pilot to Hanging Rock through Stokes county is a favorite when I go visit family.

  18. #18
    29er zealot
    Reputation: froth14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    661
    Pisgahrider, next time you're in the area, send me a PM if you want to tag along on one of our group rides. Always looking for more people to ride with!

  19. #19
    Registered Dietitian
    Reputation: tommyrod74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    1,289
    Quote Originally Posted by froth14
    Well, to be the first to chime in from my area, we have some great road riding in Winston-Salem. For lack of quality mountain bike trails within short driving distance, I have been riding the road quite a bit as of late. Most every good ride from our area involves a combination of the three monadnocks (Pilot Mountain, Hanging Rock, and Sauratown Mountain).
    Pilot Mountain

    View from the top, about 1300 feet above the Piedmont

    Moore's Wall, (Hanging Rock)

    Even the Roads between the three climbs are beautiful with views of the Blue Ridge in Virginia


    Every fall, my crew of riding friends has a casual-ish semi-organized ride around Winston, dubbed the CLM (city loop mafia) 100k. It involves three variations on what we call a, "city loop." It's one of my favorites because there's usually a pretty good crew of about 12-15 of us that show up, there's a great chili cook-off afterwards and it's all about the ride, and having fun:
    Sometimes we have some fans, and even a pro that show up

    The short, but steep, climbs in the West End always hurt
    You live in the wrong Triad city for mountain biking I'm on singletrack within a 7 minute ride of my door, and can easily do 4 hour rides with minimal pavement between singletrack.

    Most of our road rides go north into Rockingham County (great rolling hilly terrain but no big climbing), but Hanging Rock is only 80 miles round trip from my door, so we head up that way a lot too. My road team is based of Winston-Salem, and we have a great ride we call the Francisco Ride that goes from downtown W-S up past Hanging Rock to Francisco near the parkway, then back down the back (west) side of Hanging Rock through King, Bethania, etc. back to W-S.

    Nice shot of Hekman. That kid is a goofball He showed up at the Tanglewood CX race in a pink Fat Chance skinsuit. Always entertaining.

    You ever want to ride over this way, give me a shout!

    -Tommy
    Registered Dietitian, Cycling Coach, Ascend Nutrition and Coaching

  20. #20
    29er zealot
    Reputation: froth14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    661
    Tommy, I just can't get excited about the trails in Greensboro. Not much elevation change and craptons of people. Usually if I am looking to do some mtb stuff I head to Pisgah for a weekend or head out to Wilkes on a weekday. What road team are you on here in town?

  21. #21
    Registered Dietitian
    Reputation: tommyrod74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    1,289
    Quote Originally Posted by froth14
    Tommy, I just can't get excited about the trails in Greensboro. Not much elevation change and craptons of people. Usually if I am looking to do some mtb stuff I head to Pisgah for a weekend or head out to Wilkes on a weekday. What road team are you on here in town?
    Yeah, those are all fair criticisms... though Wild Turkey does have more up and down than other local trails. I don't ride here for adventure... but it is extremely nice to ride from my door and hit good XC trails that flow very well and are very well maintained. Not a MTB destination like Wilkesboro... but there are no jobs in Wilkesboro, are there?

    We are building a new trail at the end of Blue Heron beginning this spring... 5 more miles to Doggett Road. It will make for a 40-mile out-and-back with less than one mile of pavement. There is also a new park being planned on Doggett Road, with its own singletrack. Lots to be said for linked trails in a (relatively) large city.

    I ride for Benissimo, a local Cat 3 team. I'd guess we probably know a lot of the same people

    EDIT: I'm off every Wednesday, if you're ever up for a ride. Road if the trails are wet, otherwise usually MTB.
    Registered Dietitian, Cycling Coach, Ascend Nutrition and Coaching

  22. #22
    consistent default champ
    Reputation: brownieinSC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    747

    Marquis de Sade

    I'd like to do the Marquis de Sade. I often end up riding alone so do the routes from N. Greenville to Saluda that I know. Most of the people I ride with don't enjoy riding for that much torture.
    The Caesar's Head Challenge is a really great ride. I did the 100 mile option last year to help get ready for ORAMM
    http://www.caesarsheadchallenge.com/

  23. #23
    H8 H8 H8
    Reputation: Broussard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    847
    Is this in the Grand Tetons?

    I'm just sayin'....


    Yeah, it's strange. But oh well.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mikeridesabike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,553
    Quote Originally Posted by brownieinSC
    I'd like to do the Marquis de Sade. I often end up riding alone so do the routes from N. Greenville to Saluda that I know. Most of the people I ride with don't enjoy riding for that much torture.
    The Caesar's Head Challenge is a really great ride. I did the 100 mile option last year to help get ready for ORAMM
    http://www.caesarsheadchallenge.com/

    Marquis de Sade is March 19th this year:

    Recent email sent to Spartanburg Freewheelers:


    Saturday March 19th "Marquis de Sade" at North Greenville University. Cost $ 10.00
    for Freewheelers and $ 15.00 for non-members. Registration opens at 7:30 ride leaves at 8:30 Food TBA
    82 miles and 8000 ft of climb.
    http://www.mapmyride.com:80/ride/uni...23845384093160

    This is supposed to be a "training ride" for the Assault on Mt. Mitchell (the real one - not the ORAMM), but I think it is just about as hard as the actual assault. Climbing White Oak Mtn. is a real *****. 4 miles of the steepest roads you will find anywhere around here. Then you get to do Green River Cove and go over Camp Old Indian the hard way just for fun.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

  25. #25
    drunken pirate
    Reputation: driftwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,414
    Quote Originally Posted by cruso414
    My favorite route is from Canton up 215 over the parkway to Rosman, left on 64 to Brevard, 276 up and over the parkway back to Canton. About 78 miles and some of the longest climbs around WNC.
    This is my favorite as well except I like to do it the other direction so I get to feel the full pain of the 215 climb from Sunburst
    More Trails, Not Less

    Adventures in Pisgah

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •