mtbr member

ORAMM vs Swank 65 vs Pisgah 111k?

I'd like to make it down to NC to race this area and am wondering what the differences between these courses are (most single track, most technical, etc.). I may be able to make the SWANK 65 this year but if I decided on ORAMM or the 111k I'll want to jump on them early next year before thy sell out and plan my calendar so that I don't have any conflicts. It's an 8 hour drive for me, so as much as I'd liek to do all 3, 1 a year is probbaly the most I'd be up for.
    2014 Yeti Arc XO1
    2012 Seven ti 29er SS
    2012 Seven steel 29er SS rigid

drunken pirate
    Swank has a lot of singletrack but is really short (especially for a 8 hour drive).

111 has a lot of challenging singletrack and a lot of forest roads. A good balance, imo.

ORAMM is mainly a road race with a couple of singletrack sections (flame away).

I'd do the 111 and then the 55 the next day
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I would do the 111K If I could only do one. I did all three last year and each one was fun but the 111K offer the most single track and is really challenging. IMHO SWANK and ORAMM are getting really expensive.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by PainkillerSPE View Post
    I would do the 111K If I could only do one. I did all three last year and each one was fun but the 111K offer the most single track and is really challenging. IMHO SWANK and ORAMM are getting really expensive.
    Do not underestimate the 55.5k. It is not simply "half the 111k."

I would say that the 55.5k will take many people as long as ORAMM if your skills are more road oriented.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    rough estimate, but I would say that a strong rider (top 10%) could finish swank in 4 hrs, oramm in 6 hrs and p111 in 8 hrs. and many good riders will take considerably longer.

oramm does have the most gravel road, but also a downhill that just will not end. it will also have the largest crowd by far (>400)
    swank has a gnarly downhill (farlow) that will make you get off your bike on some uphill sections if not also on the worst of its downhill sections, but otherwise it is mostly rideable. lots of good trail.
    p111 has a bit of everything - but this also includes more than a few (5+ min) sections of hike a bike (black, turkey pen, upper laurel, black again). some may not care for that, but it is necessary in order to access all that the ranger district has to offer.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bikinghawk1 View Post
    rough estimate, but I would say that a strong rider (top 10%) could finish swank in 4 hrs, oramm in 6 hrs and p111 in 8 hrs. and many good riders will take considerably longer.

oramm does have the most gravel road, but also a downhill that just will not end. it will also have the largest crowd by far (>400)
    swank has a gnarly downhill (farlow) that will make you get off your bike on some uphill sections if not also on the worst of its downhill sections, but otherwise it is mostly rideable. lots of good trail.
    p111 has a bit of everything - but this also includes more than a few (5+ min) sections of hike a bike (black, turkey pen, upper laurel, black again). some may not care for that, but it is necessary in order to access all that the ranger district has to offer.
    I would agree with this.

However the 111k has a lot of places to lose a half hour unexpectedly. I lost 5 min last year just do to rattlesnakes. First ones I had seen in a long time and had to photo. But the second group was just in the way.

mtbr member

Re: ORAMM vs Swank 65 vs Pisgah 111k?

Or you could really punish yourself and hit the stage race.

Make some thing better happen.
    He/she who works the trails does so in their own image.

Speed just slows me down...

When did you get here?!?!
    Quote Originally Posted by 2bfluid View Post
    Or you could really punish yourself and hit the stage race.

Make some thing better happen.
    Isn't it great to have choices?

These will be remembered as the 'good 'ole days' one day.
    You can please some people sometimes but you can't please all the people all the time.
    ERIC'S RIDE LOG

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcusSommers View Post
    rattlesnakes
    Where at on the course? just curious; love me some rattlesnakes.

Dang I wish I had a cool reason to account for my finish time.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ncps View Post
    Where at on the course? just curious; love me some rattlesnakes.

Dang I wish I had a cool reason to account for my finish time.
    Two on Squirrel or S. Mills or Cantrell by the river, can't remember precisely. But I moved them a ways off. And I think that saved me, when I stopped to take a leak on 5015 and almost stepped on the last one. I am sure other racers remember dealing with the them.

mtbr member
    Thanks all! I didn't realize the Swank was in Km's so I'll probably pass on that one since it's so short. So I'll definitely be at either the 111k or ORAMM next year depending on how the rest of the season's calendar shapes up.
    2014 Yeti Arc XO1
    2012 Seven ti 29er SS
    2012 Seven steel 29er SS rigid

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fueledbymetal View Post
    Thanks all! I didn't realize the Swank was in Km's so I'll probably pass on that one since it's so short. So I'll definitely be at either the 111k or ORAMM next year depending on how the rest of the season's calendar shapes up.
    Maybe short in distance but takes most people 4-6 hours to finish. As I am not "most people" it took me almost 7. There is one really really really long hard climb followed by the most technical descent in Pisgah. Did i mention that that climb was long?
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    If you are going to travel a great distance to ride in NC, the Pisgah 111k is the race you want to attend. It has a mix of everything WNC has to offer a mountain biker.

mtbr member
    Have completed them all. The 111 is the hardest. Demands your attention the longest. The 55 is a follow up kick to the groin.
    Completed the stage race. Trained for six months. Stages are shorter than the 111 of course, but back to back to back is pretty difficult to manage however you look at it.

Best event especially given just a weekend to ride? No doubt in my mind it's the Pisgah Mountain Bike Adventure Race (PMBAR). You need a partner, but that's where it's at. You guys better get along when the **** hits the fan because it will. I think after this year I'm calling it quits "racing." I still however will always plan on doing PMBAR. It's a standing date.
    "You can make some of the people happy some of the time, but you can't make all of the people happy all of the time."

mtbr member

Re: ORAMM vs Swank 65 vs Pisgah 111k?

You know, you could just come ride PNF and punish yourself to your own predetermined level. Pick a course and ride... get lost and ride some more.
    He/she who works the trails does so in their own image.

Speed just slows me down...