Results 1 to 50 of 50
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    120

    ORAMM and Swank 2013 fees

    Is it just me or are these about double from last year? $140 per race.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    133
    Everybody wanted a change

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jerry68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    453
    Quote Originally Posted by ralph3 View Post
    Everybody wanted a change
    I LOL'd.
    Pisgah Area SORBA

    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    ... your idea of technical may be much different than other peoples idea of technical.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    27
    Yea this is getting silly on the fee thing. The BSG road ride is still only 65.00 that sells out in a day ... And they want 80.00 for the short jerdon mountain race WTF? Thinking pass , not sure yet,
    Last edited by roadpig; 01-12-2013 at 08:01 PM.

  5. #5
    endorphin junkie
    Reputation: dobovedo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    422
    This is not unique to MTB rides/races. Road rides (BSG must be an exception), running events from 5ks to marathons, and triathlons of all sizes have all seen steep price increases in the past 2-3 years. I'm not sure if it's the economy, electronic timing and other techy "features", high demand as more people want to do events, or some combination.

    Regardless of the causes, I'm doing fewer events every year and more of my own self-guided adventures.
    "Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."
    T.S. Eliot

  6. #6
    When did you get here?!?!
    Reputation: pisgahproductions's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,688
    Would it be bad form to point out for 2013:

    PMBAR = $120 for a team of two
    111K = $120 per person (JP Memorial, a % of proceeds still goes to his widow)
    55.5K = $60 per person
    Monster Cross = $60 per person
    Double Dare = $120 for a team of two

    and the King of Pisgah points series will cost $420 for all 5?

    (permits pending, onsale Feb 1.)

    Pisgah Productions

    *edit* and we have timing chips, high demand, stocked aid stations, etc.
    Last edited by pisgahproductions; 01-13-2013 at 05:30 AM.
    You can please some people sometimes but you can't please all the people all the time.
    ERIC'S RIDE LOG

  7. #7
    Fence guru
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    739
    $140 should include a happy ending at least

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mike Brown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    3,101
    I have a product.
    People buy all of the product I can produce and are waiting in line asking for more if it becomes available.
    I raise the price on said product.
    If people stop buying it, I may lower the price.

    See how that works?

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    21

    Good job! Done with Branham races

    I noticed that too. And was thinking the same numbers Erik posted above. I raced PMBAR with a friend for $120 for the both of us and had way more suffering than the 65k of Swank. Got a pint glass, a burrito, and a awesome time for half the price per person. Swank entailed a 5 hour race, an undercooked burger, and the ugliest yellow shirt I have ever seen.

    Think I may have raced my last Todd Branham race.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mikeridesabike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,637
    I signed up anyway. My first ORAMM. Mike has a good point. The old law of supply and demand is in effect. But it makes it tough if you want to do a bunch of these races and each of them costs north of $100. Throw in gas and a hotel room and the weekend ends up costing over $250. But no one forces us to sign up and you can ride the course 364 other days for free.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mikeridesabike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,637
    Quote Originally Posted by pisgahproductions View Post
    Would it be bad form to point out for 2013:


    55.5K = $60 per person


    (permits pending, onsale Feb 1.)
    Eric - can you elaborate on the 55K? I have heard rumors of it, but nothing specific. The 111 nearly killed me last year. 55k sounds a little more humane.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

  12. #12
    When did you get here?!?!
    Reputation: pisgahproductions's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,688
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeridesabike View Post
    Eric - can you elaborate on the 55K? I have heard rumors of it, but nothing specific. The 111 nearly killed me last year. 55k sounds a little more humane.
    *permit pending* Sunday May 19th 10am start. The course is actually 58k but 55.5 has a nice ring to it being the day after the 111.
    You can please some people sometimes but you can't please all the people all the time.
    ERIC'S RIDE LOG

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mikeridesabike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,637
    What's the course? P111 - Laurel/Pilot would be good by me.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by pisgahproductions View Post
    Would it be bad form to point out for 2013:

    PMBAR = $120 for a team of two
    111K = $120 per person (JP Memorial, a % of proceeds still goes to his widow)
    55.5K = $60 per person
    Monster Cross = $60 per person
    Double Dare = $120 for a team of two

    and the King of Pisgah points series will cost $420 for all 5?

    (permits pending, onsale Feb 1.)

    Pisgah Productions

    *edit* and we have timing chips, high demand, stocked aid stations, etc.
    And Pisgah Productions has water at the third rest station too!

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by pisgahproductions View Post
    *permit pending* Sunday May 19th 10am start. The course is actually 58k but 55.5 has a nice ring to it being the day after the 111.
    I'm interested in the 55.5 as well. Please bump this up with more details when they become available. Thanks!

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by leadfoot321 View Post
    I'm interested in the 55.5 as well. Please bump this up with more details when they become available. Thanks!
    yea maybe price it at 200.00... just joking!
    Last edited by roadpig; 01-14-2013 at 07:11 AM.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: extrmtao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,278
    Every year someone starts this thread...

    Every year the races sell out well before the actual race.

    I'm going to start charging for riding with me any day. Since that's how awesome I am.

    Can someone put a nice little tune to my new song...?

    I'm AWSOME, I ride wheelies for seconds at a time. I'M AWESOME!! I finished last in an Alley Cat. I'm AWESOME. I hita HUGE 4,000 millimeter gap, I'M AWESOME. I have mediocre results at PMMMMBAR, I'm AWESOME. I used to ride a single speed real slow. I'M AWESOME. I liked my own post about myself on my own facebook page. I'M AWESOME. It takes me 20 minutes to change-A-flat, I'M AWESOME. I spent way too much time on this post... I'm awesome.
    BS'ing less, riding more.

    Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

  18. #18
    endorphin junkie
    Reputation: dobovedo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    422
    Quote Originally Posted by extrmtao View Post
    Every year someone starts this thread...

    Every year the races sell out well before the actual race.

    I'm going to start charging for riding with me any day. Since that's how awesome I am.

    Can someone put a nice little tune to my new song...?

    I'm AWSOME, I ride wheelies for seconds at a time. I'M AWESOME!! I finished last in an Alley Cat. I'm AWESOME. I hita HUGE 4,000 millimeter gap, I'M AWESOME. I have mediocre results at PMMMMBAR, I'm AWESOME. I used to ride a single speed real slow. I'M AWESOME. I liked my own post about myself on my own facebook page. I'M AWESOME. It takes me 20 minutes to change-A-flat, I'M AWESOME. I spent way too much time on this post... I'm awesome.
    ^^^ Awesome ^^^
    "Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."
    T.S. Eliot

  19. #19
    Rogue Exterminator
    Reputation: kjlued's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,956
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brown View Post
    I have a product.
    People buy all of the product I can produce and are waiting in line asking for more if it becomes available.
    I raise the price on said product.
    If people stop buying it, I may lower the price.

    See how that works?
    ^This

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    120
    All these posts and no one actually answered the question. Anyone know how much these races were in 2012 for early entry?

    FWIW, I signed up for both before I posted this thread. I just seem to remember early entry being sub $100 last year. Obviously still thought it was worth the current pricing. The entry fees pale in comparison to the two IM events I signed up for. I guess I'll have to turn in my hipster card.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 2bfluid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    582
    It takes me 20 minutes to change a flat

    20 minutes my ass.........



    Make some thing better happen on the trail.
    He/she who works the trails does so in their own image.

    Speed just slows me down...

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: readycpa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    60
    And don't forget about the $10.70 active.com processing fees added to the $140. Bikereg and others seem to have much lower fess so why use active?

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: readycpa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by pisgahproductions View Post
    Would it be bad form to point out for 2013:

    PMBAR = $120 for a team of two
    111K = $120 per person (JP Memorial, a % of proceeds still goes to his widow)
    55.5K = $60 per person
    Monster Cross = $60 per person
    Double Dare = $120 for a team of two

    and the King of Pisgah points series will cost $420 for all 5?

    (permits pending, onsale Feb 1.)

    Pisgah Productions

    *edit* and we have timing chips, high demand, stocked aid stations, etc.
    Reasonable entry fees and you guys do a great job of putting these on. Looking forward to the 55.5K and doing the Monster Cross for the 2nd time.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ride-beer-rinse-repeat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    280
    Quote Originally Posted by extrmtao View Post
    Every year someone starts this thread...

    Every year the races sell out well before the actual race.

    I'm going to start charging for riding with me any day. Since that's how awesome I am.

    Can someone put a nice little tune to my new song...?

    I'm AWSOME, I ride wheelies for seconds at a time. I'M AWESOME!! I finished last in an Alley Cat. I'm AWESOME. I hita HUGE 4,000 millimeter gap, I'M AWESOME. I have mediocre results at PMMMMBAR, I'm AWESOME. I used to ride a single speed real slow. I'M AWESOME. I liked my own post about myself on my own facebook page. I'M AWESOME. It takes me 20 minutes to change-A-flat, I'M AWESOME. I spent way too much time on this post... I'm awesome.
    Hey! I ride a single speed slow. Maybe not REAL slow, so not totally awesome? How many seconds are we talking about on the wheelie? And I totally caught about 6 inches of wicked air the other day. Awesome.
    "Get busy living, or get busy dying"

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: litespeedchick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,093
    Quote Originally Posted by thedood View Post
    All these posts and no one actually answered the question. Anyone know how much these races were in 2012 for early entry?

    FWIW, I signed up for both before I posted this thread. I just seem to remember early entry being sub $100 last year. Obviously still thought it was worth the current pricing. The entry fees pale in comparison to the two IM events I signed up for. I guess I'll have to turn in my hipster card.
    can't help w/ 2012, but I paid $110 in 2011. that wasn't last minute, either.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mikeridesabike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,637
    Quote Originally Posted by thedood View Post
    All these posts and no one actually answered the question. Anyone know how much these races were in 2012 for early entry?

    FWIW, I signed up for both before I posted this thread. I just seem to remember early entry being sub $100 last year. Obviously still thought it was worth the current pricing. The entry fees pale in comparison to the two IM events I signed up for. I guess I'll have to turn in my hipster card.
    The 1st time I did Swank about 5 years ago, it was $80. It went to $100 the next year. I haven't done it since then. For comparison, Fool's Gold 50 in GA starts at $80 for early registration and keeps going up as you get closer to the date. Last year's Big Frog 65 (miles) was $80. Most of the 6 hour races seem to be around $60, but those take a lot less work to put on. Pirate Racing up in Boone puts on some nice events for pretty reasonable fees. The road version of the Assault on MM, which starts here in Spartanburg, costs about $130, but the logistics involved in putting it on are huge and sometimes the club loses money even at that rate. I think I paid $80 last year for the Iron Mountain 100 in VA, which is a similar course to ORAMM. Most of the NUE 100 milers are $140 and up. I think SM 100 was up to $210 by race day last year. So ORAMM is not totally out line with what other promoters are charging these days.

    And as another poster mentioned, Ironman events are outrageously priced. $500 and up.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: extrmtao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,278
    Quote Originally Posted by readycpa View Post
    And don't forget about the $10.70 active.com processing fees added to the $140. Bikereg and others seem to have much lower fess so why use active?
    Go green events is the only way to go.
    BS'ing less, riding more.

    Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    120
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeridesabike View Post
    The 1st time I did Swank about 5 years ago, it was $80. It went to $100 the next year. I haven't done it since then. For comparison, Fool's Gold 50 in GA starts at $80 for early registration and keeps going up as you get closer to the date. Last year's Big Frog 65 (miles) was $80. Most of the 6 hour races seem to be around $60, but those take a lot less work to put on. Pirate Racing up in Boone puts on some nice events for pretty reasonable fees. The road version of the Assault on MM, which starts here in Spartanburg, costs about $130, but the logistics involved in putting it on are huge and sometimes the club loses money even at that rate. I think I paid $80 last year for the Iron Mountain 100 in VA, which is a similar course to ORAMM. Most of the NUE 100 milers are $140 and up. I think SM 100 was up to $210 by race day last year. So ORAMM is not totally out line with what other promoters are charging these days.

    And as another poster mentioned, Ironman events are outrageously priced. $500 and up.
    Fools gold is probably my favorite event in that distance range. It appears I was imagining the pricing from last year. Sounds like it was only mildly cheaper if at all.

    IM events may be outrageously priced to some, but most of the them sell 3000 spots in minutes. You have to sign up a year in advance and there is essentially no refund policy. Capitalists would argue they aren't charging enough. Where they really get you is the jacked up hotel rates with 3-4 night minimums.

  29. #29
    dead weight
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    731
    A fool and his money are soon parted.

    There's a sucker born every minute.
    A bunch of my ride pics: http://uberfarm.com/mnf

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    120
    Quote Originally Posted by JackFromNC View Post
    A fool and his money are soon parted.

    There's a sucker born every minute.
    Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.

    This is fun!

  31. #31
    dead weight
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    731
    People are essentially lining up to give their money away for something they can pretty much do for free. It's a little fun I guess.
    A bunch of my ride pics: http://uberfarm.com/mnf

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mikeridesabike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,637
    Quote Originally Posted by JackFromNC View Post
    People are essentially lining up to give their money away for something they can pretty much do for free. It's a little fun I guess.
    But if you pay $150, you get your name on the Internet. I would say that is totally worth it.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: extrmtao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,278
    Quote Originally Posted by JackFromNC View Post
    People are essentially lining up to give their money away for something they can pretty much do for free. It's a little fun I guess.

    Are you trying to say that you can ride with 400 of your "friends" on any given day?

    Plus how else can we all find out how slow we really are??? That is except for that one person...
    BS'ing less, riding more.

    Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    941
    Quote Originally Posted by extrmtao View Post
    That is except for that one person...
    Stop talking about me...

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    274
    Think it was Warren Buffett or his business partner Charlie Munger who in one of their annual meetings said something to the order of "There are times in business when if you charge more.....well, you have more demand. It has to do with a cult-like following where the buyers feel the scarcity of what they want."

    I think Warrior Creek and ORAMM are close to cults! Ha! They can run the prices up quite a bit more and probably get more people to attempt to register.

  36. #36
    Rogue Exterminator
    Reputation: kjlued's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,956
    Quote Originally Posted by extrmtao View Post
    Are you trying to say that you can ride with 400 of your "friends" on any given day?

    Plus how else can we all find out how slow we really are??? That is except for that one person...

    Not to mention that natural competitive nature we have that STRAVA just can't fill for us.

    Of course my conflict will mostly be "man vs self" as I just hope complete more than compete. I guess that is what us slow riders do.

    I suppose riding is like sex.
    Sure, sometimes it is fun to do it with yourself, but it is more fun to do it with others.

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    667
    Warrior Creek is for roadies.

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jerry68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    453
    This is just the evolution of good races... There is a race in Michigan called "Iceman Cometh". Back in the early-mid 90's you could show up morning of, pay a paltry sum (<$10.00) and race a few hundred people from Kalkaska to Traverse City 27 miles)... Now the registration fee is $75.00, and the 2500 slots sell out in less than 30 minutes (it's only 30 minutes because the server always crashes at least once) every March 1st.
    Pisgah Area SORBA

    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    ... your idea of technical may be much different than other peoples idea of technical.

  39. #39
    When did you get here?!?!
    Reputation: pisgahproductions's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,688
    Next year PMBAR will go on sale Jan 15. and will cost $280 for a team of two. Thanks for the great idea mtbr nc/sc!
    You can please some people sometimes but you can't please all the people all the time.
    ERIC'S RIDE LOG

  40. #40
    Category Winner
    Reputation: teamdicky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,839
    Quote Originally Posted by pisgahproductions View Post
    Next year PMBAR will go on sale Jan 15. and will cost $280 for a team of two. Thanks for the great idea mtbr nc/sc!
    Damn.

    Just went to register for PMBAR 2014, and it's sold out already.

    I'm on the waiting list for the 2015 lottery for entry now.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

    I get paid 3¢ every time I post on MTBR.

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 2bfluid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    582
    No worries, in 2015 there are going to have 2500 entries. So you should be able to get in if you're willing to pay the price. Rumor has it that entry fees will include a purebred puppy, your first born child, and you have to prove that you shuttled at least 40 downhill bikes to the top of Farlow. It should still sell out but not till close to race day.
    He/she who works the trails does so in their own image.

    Speed just slows me down...

  42. #42
    When did you get here?!?!
    Reputation: pisgahproductions's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,688
    Quote Originally Posted by 2bfluid View Post
    Rumor has it that entry fees will include a purebred puppy, your first born child, ..........day.
    I DO like puppies.....
    You can please some people sometimes but you can't please all the people all the time.
    ERIC'S RIDE LOG

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation: robertdavid's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    693
    It doesn't matter how much a race charges. It will sell out. Personally, I would rather just ride the course than pay the promoter, who is overcharging. I know costs go up but ORAMM has about doubled the fee since 2006. Even gas prices haven't doubled since then. I love the race but will miss it again and solo the course. I have several, fairly priced races, to choose from this year. The race will get the money, just not from me.

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    27
    I'm riding this year but I am at my limit on the fee. An increase next year and I'm looking to other events. But it did sell out quick this year.

  45. #45
    Rogue Exterminator
    Reputation: kjlued's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,956
    I don't know all the expenses there are in throwing a race however, I am sure there are plenty. I would bet many of those expenses go up each year and the promoter must pass them on to us.

    Not to mention the first few years, the promoter has to get you hooked and he/she does so with lower prices so it does not surprise me they go up as their product gets to be in higher demand.

    I looked one day and PMBAR was to go on sale Feb 1 and went back a couple days later and they were sold out (over a week before the day they were supposed to go on sale).
    I know this supposedly has something to do with a hack but the fact remains the tickets sold out fast. I may not like the fact that they will go up again, but I can't blame them for raising prices.

    Seriously what would you do if you had a product that sold out as soon as it hit the shelf and you could no longer supply the demand? Pretty sure most of us would keep go up until they were barely selling out.

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 4000psi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    776
    He can and you would too if you were he.

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation: robertdavid's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    693
    found two events that are as good and a less $$$$. I haven't ridden ORAMM in 4 years due to fee increase and raising the rider limit to 500. Too many people for that course, imho

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mikeridesabike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,637
    The P55 at $60 is a good deal. Except for the fact that you have to go UP Black Mtn. I hate the thought of paying anything to ride up Black Mtn. Am I a total wuss? I will probably sign up anyway so that I can hopefully say I finished a PP event.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    441
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeridesabike View Post
    The P55 at $60 is a good deal. Except for the fact that you have to go UP Black Mtn. I hate the thought of paying anything to ride up Black Mtn. Am I a total wuss? I will probably sign up anyway so that I can hopefully say I finished a PP event.
    You could do the 111K and go up Black Twice

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mikeridesabike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,637
    Quote Originally Posted by PainkillerSPE View Post
    You could do the 111K and go up Black Twice
    I tried that last year. It was what you might call a near-death experience. Took me 11 1/2 hours to get to the bottom of Pilot. At that point, I knew I would be finishing in the dark if I finished at all and probably wouldn't make the 14 hour cut off. So I rode 1206 to 276 and coasted back to the finish. Looking for races this year that I can actually have a shot at finishing.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •