Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thedood View Post
    All these posts and no one actually answered the question. Anyone know how much these races were in 2012 for early entry?

FWIW, I signed up for both before I posted this thread. I just seem to remember early entry being sub $100 last year. Obviously still thought it was worth the current pricing. The entry fees pale in comparison to the two IM events I signed up for. I guess I'll have to turn in my hipster card.
    The 1st time I did Swank about 5 years ago, it was $80. It went to $100 the next year. I haven't done it since then. For comparison, Fool's Gold 50 in GA starts at $80 for early registration and keeps going up as you get closer to the date. Last year's Big Frog 65 (miles) was $80. Most of the 6 hour races seem to be around $60, but those take a lot less work to put on. Pirate Racing up in Boone puts on some nice events for pretty reasonable fees. The road version of the Assault on MM, which starts here in Spartanburg, costs about $130, but the logistics involved in putting it on are huge and sometimes the club loses money even at that rate. I think I paid $80 last year for the Iron Mountain 100 in VA, which is a similar course to ORAMM. Most of the NUE 100 milers are $140 and up. I think SM 100 was up to $210 by race day last year. So ORAMM is not totally out line with what other promoters are charging these days.

And as another poster mentioned, Ironman events are outrageously priced. $500 and up.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by readycpa View Post
    And don't forget about the $10.70 active.com processing fees added to the $140. Bikereg and others seem to have much lower fess so why use active?
    Go green events is the only way to go.
    BS'ing less, riding more.

Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeridesabike View Post
    The 1st time I did Swank about 5 years ago, it was $80. It went to $100 the next year. I haven't done it since then. For comparison, Fool's Gold 50 in GA starts at $80 for early registration and keeps going up as you get closer to the date. Last year's Big Frog 65 (miles) was $80. Most of the 6 hour races seem to be around $60, but those take a lot less work to put on. Pirate Racing up in Boone puts on some nice events for pretty reasonable fees. The road version of the Assault on MM, which starts here in Spartanburg, costs about $130, but the logistics involved in putting it on are huge and sometimes the club loses money even at that rate. I think I paid $80 last year for the Iron Mountain 100 in VA, which is a similar course to ORAMM. Most of the NUE 100 milers are $140 and up. I think SM 100 was up to $210 by race day last year. So ORAMM is not totally out line with what other promoters are charging these days.

And as another poster mentioned, Ironman events are outrageously priced. $500 and up.
    Fools gold is probably my favorite event in that distance range. It appears I was imagining the pricing from last year. Sounds like it was only mildly cheaper if at all.

IM events may be outrageously priced to some, but most of the them sell 3000 spots in minutes. You have to sign up a year in advance and there is essentially no refund policy. Capitalists would argue they aren't charging enough. Where they really get you is the jacked up hotel rates with 3-4 night minimums.

dead weight
    Dec 2003
    A fool and his money are soon parted.

There's a sucker born every minute.
    A bunch of my ride pics: http://uberfarm.com/mnf

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by JackFromNC View Post
    A fool and his money are soon parted.

There's a sucker born every minute.
    Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.

This is fun!

dead weight
    Dec 2003
    People are essentially lining up to give their money away for something they can pretty much do for free. It's a little fun I guess.
    A bunch of my ride pics: http://uberfarm.com/mnf

mtbr member
    People are essentially lining up to give their money away for something they can pretty much do for free. It's a little fun I guess.
    But if you pay $150, you get your name on the Internet. I would say that is totally worth it.

mtbr member

Are you trying to say that you can ride with 400 of your "friends" on any given day?

Plus how else can we all find out how slow we really are??? That is except for that one person...
    BS'ing less, riding more.

Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by extrmtao View Post
    That is except for that one person...
    Stop talking about me...

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Think it was Warren Buffett or his business partner Charlie Munger who in one of their annual meetings said something to the order of "There are times in business when if you charge more.....well, you have more demand. It has to do with a cult-like following where the buyers feel the scarcity of what they want."

I think Warrior Creek and ORAMM are close to cults! Ha! They can run the prices up quite a bit more and probably get more people to attempt to register.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by extrmtao View Post
    Are you trying to say that you can ride with 400 of your "friends" on any given day?

Plus how else can we all find out how slow we really are??? That is except for that one person...

Not to mention that natural competitive nature we have that STRAVA just can't fill for us.

Of course my conflict will mostly be "man vs self" as I just hope complete more than compete. I guess that is what us slow riders do.

I suppose riding is like sex.
    Sure, sometimes it is fun to do it with yourself, but it is more fun to do it with others.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Warrior Creek is for roadies.

mtbr member
    This is just the evolution of good races... There is a race in Michigan called "Iceman Cometh". Back in the early-mid 90's you could show up morning of, pay a paltry sum (<$10.00) and race a few hundred people from Kalkaska to Traverse City 27 miles)... Now the registration fee is $75.00, and the 2500 slots sell out in less than 30 minutes (it's only 30 minutes because the server always crashes at least once) every March 1st.
    Pisgah Area SORBA

Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    ... your idea of technical may be much different than other peoples idea of technical.

When did you get here?!?!
    Next year PMBAR will go on sale Jan 15. and will cost $280 for a team of two. Thanks for the great idea mtbr nc/sc!
    You can please some people sometimes but you can't please all the people all the time.
    ERIC'S RIDE LOG

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by pisgahproductions View Post
    Next year PMBAR will go on sale Jan 15. and will cost $280 for a team of two. Thanks for the great idea mtbr nc/sc!
    Damn.

Just went to register for PMBAR 2014, and it's sold out already.

I'm on the waiting list for the 2015 lottery for entry now.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

mtbr member
    No worries, in 2015 there are going to have 2500 entries. So you should be able to get in if you're willing to pay the price. Rumor has it that entry fees will include a purebred puppy, your first born child, and you have to prove that you shuttled at least 40 downhill bikes to the top of Farlow. It should still sell out but not till close to race day.
    He/she who works the trails does so in their own image.

Speed just slows me down...

When did you get here?!?!
    Quote Originally Posted by 2bfluid View Post
    Rumor has it that entry fees will include a purebred puppy, your first born child, ..........day.
    I DO like puppies.....
    You can please some people sometimes but you can't please all the people all the time.
    ERIC'S RIDE LOG

mtbr member
    May 2012
    It doesn't matter how much a race charges. It will sell out. Personally, I would rather just ride the course than pay the promoter, who is overcharging. I know costs go up but ORAMM has about doubled the fee since 2006. Even gas prices haven't doubled since then. I love the race but will miss it again and solo the course. I have several, fairly priced races, to choose from this year. The race will get the money, just not from me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I'm riding this year but I am at my limit on the fee. An increase next year and I'm looking to other events. But it did sell out quick this year.

Rogue Exterminator
    I don't know all the expenses there are in throwing a race however, I am sure there are plenty. I would bet many of those expenses go up each year and the promoter must pass them on to us.

Not to mention the first few years, the promoter has to get you hooked and he/she does so with lower prices so it does not surprise me they go up as their product gets to be in higher demand.

I looked one day and PMBAR was to go on sale Feb 1 and went back a couple days later and they were sold out (over a week before the day they were supposed to go on sale).
    I know this supposedly has something to do with a hack but the fact remains the tickets sold out fast. I may not like the fact that they will go up again, but I can't blame them for raising prices.

Seriously what would you do if you had a product that sold out as soon as it hit the shelf and you could no longer supply the demand? Pretty sure most of us would keep go up until they were barely selling out.

mtbr member
    He can and you would too if you were he.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    found two events that are as good and a less $$$$. I haven't ridden ORAMM in 4 years due to fee increase and raising the rider limit to 500. Too many people for that course, imho

mtbr member
    The P55 at $60 is a good deal. Except for the fact that you have to go UP Black Mtn. I hate the thought of paying anything to ride up Black Mtn. Am I a total wuss? I will probably sign up anyway so that I can hopefully say I finished a PP event.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeridesabike View Post
    The P55 at $60 is a good deal. Except for the fact that you have to go UP Black Mtn. I hate the thought of paying anything to ride up Black Mtn. Am I a total wuss? I will probably sign up anyway so that I can hopefully say I finished a PP event.
    You could do the 111K and go up Black Twice

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PainkillerSPE View Post
    You could do the 111K and go up Black Twice
    I tried that last year. It was what you might call a near-death experience. Took me 11 1/2 hours to get to the bottom of Pilot. At that point, I knew I would be finishing in the dark if I finished at all and probably wouldn't make the 14 hour cut off. So I rode 1206 to 276 and coasted back to the finish. Looking for races this year that I can actually have a shot at finishing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2