Pisgah-Pale-Alien

One-X set-up for Dupont

I'm building a new 29er hard-tail for Dupont/BentCreek trails and am considering a 1X9 (or 10) set-up but have never owned or ridden one. What is a desirable gearing combination for our smooth flowy stuff around here?

mtbr member
    decided to order a single ring set up this week myself. The easy answer is a 32t I think. I opted for a 34 with a 11-36 cassette. I'll miss my granny on the really long rides/steep climbs but I was having too many near misses with the clearance issues on my Canfield. Are you planning on using a clutch style rear derailleur if going to 10spd? Apparently there's a few good options for a chain guide free experience - Narrow/Wide chain ring profiling. I decided to try a Race Face NW 34t, supposed to work really well with just the c-ring and rear derailleur. I'll let you know what the gearing is like. I'm on a 29" wheel as well.
    My one says BRAP!

Pisgah-Pale-Alien
    Thats cool plume, yeah this is for my Yelli Screamy too. I'll be really interested to know how yours goes, thanks for being the guinea pig.

mtbr member
    It was by far the cheapest/easiest option. I actually thought about putting a XX1 group on a card but the need for a new rear wheel or wheel set was the deal breaker. $50 chain ring and the potential for no chain guide. Hope it's stable enough for Pilot Rock!
    My one says BRAP!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I would agree with the 32t and 11-36 combination. Used that setup on my Rumblefish before I sold it. That's what I'm running on my 650b bike now. I could still climb everything except the steepest most technical stuff (couldn't clear the climb on Black Mtn from Maxwell Cove to the top anymore). After ditching the other front rings I don't ever want to go back, so much so that now I'm gonna try out the whole singlespeed thing too.
    Would have bought a Yelli like you guys if it wasn't for wanting to go SS, went with a Nimble 9 instead.

Carbon8er
    I just built a fully rigid 29'er carbon bike to ride with my cyclo cross buddies

They like to ride non technical places like Dupont and gravel road loops
    I ride a Yeti SB95 for Pisgah trails

I installed XX1 drive train group on the carbon bike and I gotta say that I am in love with XX1

I was out to Dupont with them this past Sunday for the new bike break in ride
    The XX1 gearing was perfect for Dupont
    I never wanted a lower gear or a higher gear

Here's a couple pics of the new ride
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails One-X set-up for Dupont-img_7732_small.jpg  

One-X set-up for Dupont-img_7736_small.jpg  

One-X set-up for Dupont-img_7734_small.jpg  

mtbr member
    XX1 is great. I'll likely have one on a bike at some point. Couldn't justify the cost currently and as I said I can't eat the cost of a whole drive train AND rear wheel. That said with any new bike projects, that drive train will be on the short list of what I'd try!

FWIW I'm running a 34X11-36 cassette with the Race Face NW ring. I've got one ride on it with no issues except making a sacrifice on the lower range. I just did a Richmond Hill ride so nothing too bumpy or steep but it's real single track with tons of shifting. I rode it like a jerk, shifting under a load a few times with no issues yet. So far I really like it... Shimano drive train with XTR shadow plus RD. If they pull off a 1X system by next year they'd do well. Sram is on to something there, in the mean time I'm willing to push a tall gear around, reminds me of my SSing days a bit.
    My one says BRAP!

Carbon8er
    I got the whole XX1 group for $970 on ebay

I did not have to buy a new rear wheel, I bought an XD adapter for my DT swiss hub
    You just slide off the cassette body and slide on the XD adapter for the XX1 cassette
    No tool needed on DT swiss
    Takes me just a couple minutes to switch out

I think many other hub brands will accept an XD adapter

Also, there is a cheaper XX1 out now

Anywho, I understand XX1 is big bucks but I did not want to go 2 x 10 on my new rig
    The 42 on XX1 and the 10 give you a range you can't get on a poor mans 1x

I really wanted XX1 and so I went for it

Pisgah-Pale-Alien
    So plume, are you saying you couldn't get the Yelli to accept a 2X set-up? If I do go with a 1X, I still want the cranks for a granny in case I miss it too much.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FatTireGoose View Post
    So plume, are you saying you couldn't get the Yelli to accept a 2X set-up? If I do go with a 1X, I still want the cranks for a granny in case I miss it too much.

Shimano XT M785 38X26 fitment is ridiculously tight. I ran it with no issues for a few months with moderate trail riding (rainy summer, lots of road miles) but on one of my last rides I opted for the largest volume rear tire the frame would take Hans Dampf 2.35 and I was getting tire rub on the FD when in the granny. That coupled with the tight 38t chain ring clearance and I was ready to simplify the drive train on that bike. Actually, Canfield should make this a lot more clear: the Yelli should only run a triple or a 1X system IMHO. As I'm sure you already know, these concessions are absolutely worth it if you ask me as the bike rides better than anything on the market in that genre.

So... in theory you could probably eventually find a 36t ramped/pinned for a 2X system maybe, and you could also run a lower volume rear tire. At the end of the day I'm more interested in the going downhill parts so I wasn't willing to give up the volume of that particular tire.
    My one says BRAP!

clk
    mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I'm running the 36t race face ring 1x10 and have rode farlow and pilot with no chain drops ever

mtbr member
    Yep, so far I'm really just echoing the comments about the Race Face chain rings. I've done 5 rides so far, participating in XC, super D and short track over the weekend, zero issues. In fact I'd say for all of those styles of riding you'd be hard pressed to put me back on a FD set up. I'm keeping it for epic Pisgah rides but even then I'm learning to "deal".
    My one says BRAP!