Spring! Spring! Spring!

One More Bear in the woods of Brevard, weekend 6/29 & 6/30, flog an OOTer?

Hiya ladies and gents,

Assuming no catastrophies, me and my Yeti will be visiting Brevard with express purpose of two days of epic riding your lovely trails.

I'm actually arriving on Friday, and "camping" at the Lazy J up on 215 with my gal, she's not there to bike though, she's there to make sure I can bike on vacation. We'll be pulling up stakes on Monday morning, so the weekend is purely set aside for biking so far as I am concerned.

I don't have much problem going into town and checking in for info/maps/whatever, and my GPS will certainly be loaded with options before I get there, but I thought "hey, wouldn't it be great if I could find some people to ride with?"

So, here I is, asking.

So, if anybody reading would be around and open to helping a visitor see some good trail and be less concerned about not getting lost in the woods that'd be great. If not, well, between two GPS and a compass and a map I'm pretty sure I'll be able to at least get back to where I start from.

I can of course return the favor if anyone ends up visiting PA in the future (I live outside Kingston/Wilkes-Barre but range widely in what/where I ride).

I'm happy to share contact info via PM (phone, email), I've no idea of the mobile phone coverage in the Brevard area though. I'd be surprised if AT&T can't work for me in "town" but I'm doubting it'll be so at the campground, and I don't think there is WiFi there so I probably need to get any arrangements arranged ahead of time.

Naturally, I would encourage planning on post-ride social food and beverages. I'm sure I'll need good recovery support on Saturday so I can properly be beaten up on Sunday.

What kind of rides am I looking for? two days of big rides, 20-40 miles a day depending on actual trail conditions. Big mountain views. If there's forest road climbs in there to get to trail, so be it.

about me: I'm pretty much a "singletrack ****" - if I could spend all day exploring 20-40 miles of singletrack that mixed up buff with rocky with flow with rock features that'd be ideal. If there's "epic views" I'd love it. I'm no lightweight race whippet so I'm not often first up the climbs but I usually get there in reasonable time. I do tend to have good endurance though so long as I don't forget to eat some along the way. I'd be lying if I said I enjoy climbs as much as "across and downs" but I don't shy away from climbs, long or short, and love the feeling of completing them. Sometimes I'll trade short-punchy-pain, sometimes I'll go for the long burn, just depends on the target for the day.

my trail date: 2012 Yeti SB-95 (5" travel FS 29er, for those who don't know), freshly shod with new rubber just to make sure there's no problems on vacation - and updated drivetrain bits for the same reason. She's also no lightweight "race whippet" but should be good for everything up n down I care to fling myself against.

Cheers.

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    Across and downs lol that's cute

Pisgah has none of that

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Ha, Bear, I'll be rolling into the area a week later. Too bad we couldn't hook up and go knocking around together!

Guys at Sycamore Cycles can give some pointers to some good loops if you don't turn up some local guides.

IoC
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    If you don't already have it, check out Pisgah Map Company and buy the Pisgah Trail Map at either The Hub or Sycamore. It's by far the best map of the area.

If you're digital, you can also get a free iPhone app (Avenza) that'll let you buy their maps online and show you your current position on them.

iPhone info at Mobile | Pisgah Map Company
    Specific Pisgah rides available on phones at Pisgah Rides | Pisgah Map Company

Pisgah miles are like dog miles.

Rogue Exterminator
    I am always up for meeting new riders and touring them around.
    I will be riding Sat and Sunday and usually do 20-40 miles on a ride.
    I know DuPont flawlessly which is near Brevard and have a map for Pisgah/Bent Creek.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

rsa
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004

If you want more "flow" and a little less gnar and steeps, I'd recommend that you take up kjlued on the DuPont offer, at least for one day of riding. Don't think you'll be disappointed. There's great variety in Dupont, nice scenery, and reasonably challenging. It's also a little less rugged than Pisgah proper.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    IoC; I've been searching-for and grabbing mapping info, but thanks for the links as those will help, particularly if I end up doing some solo time.

kjlued; I'd love to take you up on a meet, how about we start with DuPont on Sat to start with? I'll plan on it being a "big" day. ;^) Let me know where and when you would like to meet/park. If there is mobile service at the ride end location that's a plus so I can let my gal know when we're off the trail as she'll be dropping me off and taking the car.

I'm going to plan on riding Pisgah "proper" on Sun then, whether kjlued leads or no.

rsa; thanks for the feedback. I really want a healthy sample of both if I can get it. "rugged" trail isn't a problem, just changes how much distance ends up being traversed for the day's ride.

My bike totally loves "rugged" trail. I can already hear it giggling.

thanks all.

mtbr member
    Bear: Not sure what my plans are for the weekend, might be on the water rather than on the bike, but: If you don't get a guide for Sunday, go to The Hub or Sycamore. Ask for advice and buy a few sundries. Both shops are awesome w/ skilled, knowledgeable staff. Sycamore is a Yeti dealer last time I checked. If that doesn't happen, try this: Using a map, a GREAT starting point is the bottom of Laurel Mtn trail. Climb Laurel forever. The first two obvious unsigned trails are off-map, follow blazes. At the third obvious intersection, bear left onto Pilot Rock Connector. Descend Pilot Rock. USE YOUR MAP. At the gravel road, check yourself....want LOTS more? Using said map, look at 5018>Squirrel>Laurel Creek>5015. This is another loop equal to or greater than what you just did. Want SOME more? Using said map, hit slate rock as a loop. It's killer and "just enough." DONE? Well, no, you're not. (Mostly) climb 1206 back to your car.
    Laurel>Pilot can take 2-5 hours depending on your fitness, interest in taking your time, and whether or not you get lost.

Root Master
    Definitely get the Pisgah Map Company's maps for Pisgah and Dupont. They put the Nat Geo maps to shame. A side benefit of the maps is that they each include a bunch of suggested rides on them as well.

As others have said, there is no flat in Pisgah. It's rugged and tough but fun too. Dupont is more flowy but just as fun. I have the same bike as you and it was a lot of fun coming down Black Mountain in Pisgah and Reasonover and Airstrip in Dupont.

Farlow Gap is out there is you're really after rugged and like rocks.

Definitely check out the Hub. They're awesome and you can grab a beer there after your ride (they always have several on tap).
    Join the Tribe...

mtbr member
    OP, A note on Cell service in the area. I am reporting for Verizon as that seems to be the best coverage. I can't speak to other services. If you want cell service in Pisgah Proper forget about it. You will have service at the Hub at Forest entrance and then nothing. High up on ridgelines, you can find service.Down by creeks you will have nothing. In Dupont, it is essentially the same way. You might be able to text from a few points in the forest but for the most part, even parking lots have no service.
    BS'ing less, riding more.

Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

Spring! Spring! Spring!

Thanks for the mobile info. Good to know.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Still on track to be riding Sat and Sun, 'kj' hopefully will be showing me some trail Sat (at least), if not I have the map-&-info based backup plan ... we dropped our trailer at our campground on the way south (we're in FL at the moment) so I had the opportunity to spend a bit of time and cash at The Hub and pick up the advised maps (and advice).

So, I have my meet-up plan for Sat, and backup plans for Sat and Sun.

I really want to sample both Pisgah and Dupont, we'll see what plays out which way.

Rogue Exterminator
    I'm still good for Sat. Not sure what time yet but I will let you know soon.
    May be meeting some people in Pisgah but it will be on the Brevard side near the fish hatchery. If not, than DuPont it is.

Spring! Spring! Spring!

Almost back to camp. Doubt I have service out there. Will check in about 8 am for any update. Cheers

mtbr member
    So, how'd ya like it?!? Had some great weather!

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by SketchyD View Post
    So, how'd ya like it?!? Had some great weather!
    He may not be able to answer for another day or two but we did 15 miles in Pisgah on Saturday including Black Mtn, Buckwheat and Avery Creek. Would have been a little more but one guys bike issues cut it a little short. Than 30 Miles in DuPont on Sunday.

The weather was perfect all weekend and he left smiling.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Thanks gang,

That was some very excellent trail I got to sample.

I won't lie ... I'd have liked a longer ride on Sat ... to get more Pisgah ... but there's always next time and the sampler I got was excellent. I always "fee" for the guy having mechanical issues (not me this time thankfully) as I've been there too.

Sun at Dupont was so totally "worthy" - such a great "loop" - next time I'm down I'll have to plan for a bit more time on trail - it was the firs ttime I've completely drained my camel in a long time.

Thanks again K, be seeing you sometime in the future, after my quads finish recovering.

I've a few pics to share later, when I get more internet. ;^)