Thread: Old Toll Road

Bix Pender
    Feb 2009

Old Toll Road

It's been a few years since I've ridden on that side of town and I'm thinking of riding up the Toll road to Heartbreak ridge one day this week. Is the toll road still open? I remember they used to close it for bear hunting.....

Also, please someone help refresh my memory. I kind of forgot how to get through Ridgecrest to that trail back where there's a covered picnic area and the trail comes out pretty close to the heli pad on the toll rd. I'm not talking about Rattlesnake.

Thank you!

mtbr member
    Closed by property owners for bear hunting season- through Jan 1st.

For the other trail, take the right at the gym/mini-golf course instead of going to Rattlesnake. Climb the mega steep paved road to the first left on a defined gravel road- it's signed, but I cannot remember what it says. There is a left on a trail before the defined road, it's not worth it. After said correct left, kind of stay on the main path, you'll eventualy come out where you're talking about- there's a few ghost turns, but they dead end pretty quickly, you cannot get too lost.

Bix Pender
    Feb 2009
    Thanks for the reply Mike. But it's closed......darn it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Adventure Trail

You're probably thinking about Adventure Trail. The other one is Rhododendron I think. Both take you up to OTR, but that'll have to wait 'till Jan.

Until then there's always CCR.
    "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."
    - Abraham Lincoln

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    it may have been cleared but when i tried to ride rhodo this summer it was unrideable from blowdown/ice storm damage.

Bix Pender
    Feb 2009
    Until then there's always CCR. [/QUOTE]

I raced ORamm this year so I was gonna do heartbreak a different way. So how about this then....

Stage 2 from this years PMBSR, with squirrel gap? or the swank 65 course?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I had hoped to ride the OTR as well before realizing it was closed for hunting. What about riding UP heartbreak? It seems like the worst part would be the lower part that we always go up in ORAMM. Although slow, wouldn't it be rideable after that? Have many ridden up heartbreak?

Bix Pender
    Feb 2009
    I rode up it one time. It's really not that bad but that depends on what your definition of not bad is. The bottom and top are the worst. But there's a lot of rideable trail in between.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bikinghawk1
    I had hoped to ride the OTR as well before realizing it was closed for hunting. What about riding UP heartbreak? It seems like the worst part would be the lower part that we always go up in ORAMM. Although slow, wouldn't it be rideable after that? Have many ridden up heartbreak?

This is actually what I do for a training ride. I hit Kitsuma and then ride up Heartbreak. Depending on my time constraints its really a great ride. For me (poor descender) I can plan on the ride back to Mill Creek to take me 1/3 of the time I did on the climb. Eatmorecrap is right once you get past the first hike-a-bike and then some of the difficult switchbacks then it's just a nasty steep climb until you hit Rocky Mountain. Then its pretty good ridge riding.

At that point I turn around and hold on tight!

~m