mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Old Toll Rd./Heartbreak Conditions and Routes

Planning on coming up to ride the Old toll > Heartbreak > Star Gap.

Looking for a good loop that is roughly 20-25 miles, where I don't have to worry about getting permission to go through private property. I don't mind riding some pavement if I have to. Also curious if any of the recent rains have washed out any of the trails / toll rd. and made them unridable.

Last time I was up there, I rode up Curtis creek. I'd like to avoid doing that again!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusky21 View Post
    Planning on coming up to ride the Old toll > Heartbreak > Star Gap.

Looking for a good loop that is roughly 20-25 miles, where I don't have to worry about getting permission to go through private property. I don't mind riding some pavement if I have to. Also curious if any of the recent rains have washed out any of the trails / toll rd. and made them unridable.

Last time I was up there, I rode up Curtis creek. I'd like to avoid doing that again!
    Just checked with my friend who did Old Toll, Heartbreak, Star Gap Monday. All clear.

You're gonna cross private property one way or another. Easiest is to call Ridgecrest Recreation Director and have him give your name and number of riders to security gate. Harder way is through Montreat College. Same deal. Permission.

IIRC, parking at Old Fort, Old US 70 -> Adventure/Rhododendron via Ridgecrest -> Old Toll -> Heartbreak -> Star Gap -> Mill Creek is about 26 miles. If you park at Kitsuma trailhead, and add that, it's about 33 miles (you take Mill Creek/FS 1407 to the right when done with Star Gap, instead of left past the geiser).

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Timothy G. Parrish; 06-15-2018 at 07:13 AM.

mtbr member
    The way I like to ride that area is to park at Old Fort picnic area (bottom of Kitsuma) and do an out and back on HB... Its pretty quick and to me the climb is more enjoyable than Old Toll...

Then climb Mill Creek Rd. and finish on Kitsuma back to your car.

That's 20 miles or more and you don't have to worry about private property, etc. at Ridgecrest.

Or ride up Toll Rd from Montreat and just do HB and ride the road back to Black Mtn. If you're doing this park at one of the beer joints in Black Mtn so you finish with an ice cold beer...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Banjopickin View Post
    Best way is to park at Old Fort picnic area (bottom of Kitsuma) and do an out and back on HB...

Then climb Mill Creek Rd. and finish on Kitsuma.

That's 20 miles or more and you don't have to worry about private property, etc...
    ...but then you don't get to ride Old Toll, which is what I believe he wants.

....and to hike up Star Gap and Heartbreak? To quote my friend Tad, 'Oh, my belly!'. It takes about the same time to ride up Old Toll and sucks, much, much less than the hike up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy G. Parrish View Post
    ...but then you don't get to ride Old Toll, which is what I believe he wants.

....and to hike up Star Gap and Heartbreak? To quote my friend Tad, 'Oh, my belly!'. It takes about the same time to ride up Old Toll and sucks, much, much less than the hike up.

I have done both ways many, many times and out and back is much faster... with the caveat that you gotta be in good shape. Good enough to pedal up Star Gap.. if not and you have to walk Star Gap/HB then its probably a wash since if you cant ride those switchbacks, Toll Rd will probably destroy you the same way from start to finish. Its a long and bumpy climb...

And a whole bunch of HB after Star Gap is easily ride-able. If you haven't done it I highly suggest it. Awesome way to do the trail in a shorter amount of time

Toll is definitely worth doing if you haven't done it but it sucks compared to climbing singletrack on HB and you still have to find a way back to the beginning in Montreat. Unless you cut though private property which the OP doesn't want to do either...

Decisions, decisions....

mtbr member
    Iíve only ever done HB out and back. The loop sounds terrible to me. As mentioned, the singletrack climb really isnít that bad at all if your at least moderately fit.

mtbr member
    I did it last fall by starting in Black Mountain at Lookout Brewing. The pavement is not that enjoyable and there's a lot of it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    An option is to park across the road from SUWS in Graphite where HB dumps out. Climb Mill Creek, descend Kitsuma, climb Point Lookout, through Ridgecrest to Old Toll, and then Old Toll to HB back to the car. I always liked knowing the car was right there at the bottom.

Maybe Ridgecrest has gotten stricter but I never had any problem just riding through.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Ive done this route before: it was 24mi.

Park at Andrews Geyser area. Bike up mill creek road to 70 into Black mountain. Bike into Montreat and you can either go to the end of Appalachian way or jump on rainbow road and take that to old toll road to heartbreak

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jamatt View Post
    An option is to park across the road from SUWS in Graphite where HB dumps out. Climb Mill Creek, descend Kitsuma, climb Point Lookout, through Ridgecrest to Old Toll, and then Old Toll to HB back to the car. I always liked knowing the car was right there at the bottom.

Maybe Ridgecrest has gotten stricter but I never had any problem just riding through.
    Ridgecrest has gotten stricter, no random access during summer camp season. Have to get the pre-approval as described by Tim.

Speaking of which, Tim, could you consider moving the reference to the full-on trespassing route? Probably not a good idea to have people trying to find that because of a random internet comment with no directions.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brown View Post
    Ridgecrest has gotten stricter, no random access during summer camp season. Have to get the pre-approval as described by Tim.

Speaking of which, Tim, could you consider moving the reference to the full-on trespassing route? Probably not a good idea to have people trying to find that because of a random internet comment with no directions.
    Done.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Banjopickin View Post
    The way I like to ride that area is to park at Old Fort picnic area (bottom of Kitsuma) and do an out and back on HB... Its pretty quick and to me the climb is more enjoyable than Old Toll...

Then climb Mill Creek Rd. and finish on Kitsuma back to your car.

That's 20 miles or more and you don't have to worry about private property, etc. at Ridgecrest.
    I did this ride yesterday based on your post here, except I rode back down to the picnic area for some dry clothes(got rained on halfway up) and a water refill, and then did the Kitsuma loop. Many thanks for posting this great recommendation! It wound up being about 28 miles total with 5200 feet of climbing. I must admit though that I hiked my bike quite a bit, especially up the top half of Heartbreak, and the top climbs at Kitsuma. I don't know how you pisgah dudes do it!