Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    BGR / MCM #311

October Asheville/Brevard visit...help pick some rides!!!

OK...it's our 4th annual Brevard trip. We plan on riding Bent Creek again, already got that lined up. But...need help picking some new routes in Pisgah and Dupont. We've ridden Bennett, Laurel Mtn, Squirrel Gap, Thrift, Sycamore, and Daniel Ridge in Pisgah...what other "must rides" have we missed? We've done Burnt Mtn., Big Rock area of Dupont...any other suggestions? We've also done the right loop at Tsali in the past. Heck, is there a ride not even in these three areas that we've been missing???

Let us know!!!

thanks!!
    Boogers and Birthdays....the more you have...the harder it is to breath

Drinker w/ Riding Problem
    Sorry, double dip

Drinker w/ Riding Problem
    Quote Originally Posted by fireboy
    OK...it's our 4th annual Brevard trip. We plan on riding Bent Creek again, already got that lined up. But...need help picking some new routes in Pisgah and Dupont. We've ridden Bennett, Laurel Mtn, Squirrel Gap, Thrift, Sycamore, and Daniel Ridge in Pisgah...what other "must rides" have we missed? We've done Burnt Mtn., Big Rock area of Dupont...any other suggestions? We've also done the right loop at Tsali in the past. Heck, is there a ride not even in these three areas that we've been missing???

Let us know!!!

thanks!!
    I highly recommend the southside of Dupont , Fawn Lake area Resonover, Airstrip, Mine Mountain, Laurel Ridge, Shoal trails, plus you can add these in with Big Rock Cedar Mountain, Burnt Mountain for a good days riding.

another good combo especially in mid october is Caney Btm/Daniel Ridge/Longbranch/Butter Gap!

and if you haven't done Black Mountain...do it!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

r

farlow gap to daniel ridge is a must. so is pilot rock. dont forget big creek. on the other side of pisgah is heartbreak ridge and a few others. check out the east side of pisgah for something new. dont go to dupont. its boring.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Picklsimer Fields/Butter Gap if you're here after 10/15.

Great ride, but its seasonal. You have to go after the closure ends.

Official Cooler Inspector
    These folks are not Directional Challenged, unless you’re trying to show them a map at 11 o’clock at night after a "rest period". So, if anyone sends special trial information, please be nice and suggest the best travel route. With red arrows. You may need to include this:

http://www.pride2.org/NewPrideSite/A...n6/compas7.GIF

fb: We did Left Loop at Tsali. One of the best times I've had there.

You also did the Laurel/Pilot trip - last year. Just missed the rock stop though. Heart Break would be an grand epic for you guys. If we can round up a guide, I'll pick up what's still twitching at the end with the trailer.

Last edited by M-U-M; 08-14-2006 at 05:35 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I'll second the motion for Heartbreak ridge. If you've managed the rest of your been-there-done -that-list w/o any trauma, you should be able to do it and it gets my vote as the best ride, maybe anywhere.

drunken pirate
    Black Mountain is a must ride. Both up and down.

Ride Instigator

Let us know!!!

thanks!!
    Hey Fireboy...What weekend are you and your crew headed down there? Me and some friends are going on the weekend of 10-14. Mebby we hook and do a yankee invasion of sorts .

We have no rides in particular planned, with only Fri, Sat and Sun. to ride were thinking Dupont for sure, possably Bent Creek. Camping at DRCG.

BGR / MCM #311
    We're driving down on the 7th and staying until the 14th. A buddy's parents own a nice pair of cabins on Round Mountain just outside of Brevard. It's our annual "depressurizing" trip.

Last year's "crue"....
    Attached Images Attached Images

BGR / MCM #311
    Quote Originally Posted by M-U-M
    Just missed the rock stop though.
    Rock stop??? is this more of your off kilter humor???

Yeah...Laurel was so much FUN at the top (sarcasm inserted here)...hike a biking that 40 lbs. Coiler up those rocks....screw that!!! But the trip back down Pilot fuggin' rocked!!!!

Ride Instigator
    We're driving down on the 7th and staying until the 14th. A buddy's parents own a nice pair of cabins on Round Mountain just outside of Brevard. It's our annual "depressurizing" trip.

Last year's "crue"....

Bummer dude, alternate weekends. I was going to go down there for the gathering but couldnt get the time off work. We're planning to get down to Jubilee and camp and ride stuff in your area again sometime, maybe hook up with you then.

Cabins eh..do you think your friends parents might consider renting to 3 or 4 (possably 5) well behaved MTBrs?

Essam
    Feb 2006
    Last October I visited the area, but only had one day to ride. I linked every waterfall on the dupont map and did a 40+ mile ride including the summit. I had to walk to see one waterfall but all the others were bike accesable. I look forward to going back with MY bike and more time to ride!

KRISDALA BAKA!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricko

Cabins eh..do you think your friends parents might consider renting to 3 or 4 (possably 5) well behaved MTBrs?
    Sorry, wish I could help you guys out there. Unfortunately the only way that could happen is for me to be with you guys. And I just don't have enough vacation time to plan two MTB trips and spend time with the wife and kiddies as well. I can check around on the mountain and if I find someone who will accomodate I can send you a message. But most people up there charge alot for their pads.

Ride Instigator
    Quote Originally Posted by emmaus28
    Sorry, wish I could help you guys out there. Unfortunately the only way that could happen is for me to be with you guys. And I just don't have enough vacation time to plan two MTB trips and spend time with the wife and kiddies as well. I can check around on the mountain and if I find someone who will accomodate I can send you a message. But most people up there charge alot for their pads.
    Cool, thanks. I suppose I'l just tow my own cabin (pop up camper) down there like I have in the past. Always looking for alternate lodging options is all .

BGR / MCM #311
    If you're there the 10 through the 14, wouldn't that work??? To meet up, I mean???

Ride Instigator
    If you're there the 10 through the 14, wouldn't that work??? To meet up, I mean???
    Oops, by 10-14 I ment the weekend of Oct. 14.

Anyway, we'l be arriving around dinnertime/beertime Thursday (the 12th). Planning to ride Fri, Sat, Sunday. Heading back home Monday morning.

Looks like a possable overlap, maybe we hook up for your last days ride?

FB & R: Would you guys just "get a room" already? Sheesh!

FB: Regardless of what YOU two do, I'll need to plan what day to request off asap. I am not going to use that day for Tsali.

IM-me.

BGR / MCM #311
    consider yourself IM'd

Gotta double check with doug on the exact "schedule"...I know most of us want to take at least one day off, in the middle of the week, and putz around bald mountain in hiking boots and then go in to Asheville to smell the patchouli and take in the "scenery"...lol. Which will of course include Asheville Pizza and Brewery.

pronounced may-duh
    Tourist info:

The pizza & brew folks have a new downtown location. No pizza there but beer, outdoor seating and a gigantic TV. Kind of a groovy hipster crowd.

If you want to hippie watch, I suggest the outdoor seating at the mellow mushroom. Good beer, table service and large crowd of young hippies for entertainment. And don't miss the weekend drum circle in Pritchard Park.

KRISDALA BAKA!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Ok, here goes...Saturday we arrive
    Sunday we ride BC, cause MUM insists
    Monday we ride Pisgah, trail yet to be determined
    Tuesday...day off
    Wedensday we ride Du Pont
    Thursday we ride Pisgah Friday we ride...either on bikes or on the way home.
    Saturday..we ride home..if not Friday
    Last edited by emmaus28; 08-21-2006 at 01:31 PM.

Ride Instigator
    FB & R: Would you guys just "get a room" already? Sheesh!

FB: Regardless of what YOU two do, I'll need to plan what day to request off asap. I am not going to use that day for Tsali.

IM-me.
    Awwww heck, we was gonna ask you to join us for a threesome...a man sandwich if you wanna call it that

How's about Friday? Looks like the FB gangs last ride day and my gangs first ride day. Possably we come up to your area and ride BC...or you come down by us and ride stuff down there? Come on down and camp and we can drink beer and bay at the moon!

Our trip itierary is as follows

Thurs Oct. 12th Arrive at DRCG around dinnertime, possable short night ride

Fri. Ride

Sat. Ride

Sunday. Ride

Monday. Short Ride.....head home

BGR / MCM #311
    see...and here I thought we were coming home on Sunday....oh well...some of you slackers probably have to go to work on Monday...lol.

I didn't mention the Mellow Mushroom on last years trip. Joanne and I went there for lunch our very first day in Asheville.....yup....you can definitely hippy watch there.....YIKES.

M7– there's something you need understand about these guys:

Tuesday is like the "make or break day" for the rest of the week. They’ll require food, beer, a broken down chair, low lighting and a bad movie. It keeps the weak ones from crying in their sleep at The Cabin because homesickness has kicked in and they miss the remote control and private bathroom. An open aired street scene involving dreds, tattoos and bouncy things could cause issues. The brief time they spend outside at AP catching second hand American Spirits is probably enough for them.

You need to come ride with us.

pronounced may-duh

You need to come ride with us.

October is a bit far on the horizon but count me in. Bent creek is totaly redone. Have yall ridden the trace ridge / mills river areas? Trace is an awesome downhill and you can make a whole days riding in that area with spencer branch, fletcher creek and middle fork trails. Only dificulty is there is one deep stream crossing that would be kinda cold in october.

Another must do downhill is avery creek. Anything on the black mtn trail is memorable. And if you want to go big try Big Creek Trail!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast