mtbr member

OBX Vacation - Ride Suggestions?

I'm headed to OBX this weekend, staying for a week in Corolla, and a few of us are bringing bikes.

I know there's not going to be any trail trails, but does anyone have any suggestions for good places to ride and see something interesting?

False Cape State Park is on the Virginia side...can it be accessed from North Carolina?
    I have a black belt in MS Paint.

2013 Santa Cruz Bronson Carbon
    2013 StumpJumper FSR Comp Carbon 29er

mtbr member
    There's only two directions you can go at the outer banks; against the wind, and with the wind. So, ride into the wind on the first leg, and with the wind on the return leg.

The Virginia line is 12 miles up the unpaved beach. I am positive you can't drive into Virginia (legally) and there's a fence to enforce it. I don't know about walking.

If you're looking for miles, I would just stick to NC 12 and adjacent bike paths when available. Otherwise, there are little subdivision roads all over that may lead to little gems like sunset views over the sound, and whatnot.

If you're ambitious, you can ride to Duck. It's full of quaint little tourist traps and restaurants.

source: lived in Kitty Hawk for 20 years

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    Dat wind

F the beach you are going the wrong way

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    If you don't mind driving all the way down to Kitty Hawk there are a few miles of out-and-back singletrack in Kitty Hawk Woods. They're near the corner of Beacham and Ridge Road. I'm pretty sure the trails are legal (I didn't see anyone else out there while I was riding) but set your expectations low (it sure ain't Pisgah) and ride fast or bring bug spray.

The only other alternatives are a fat bike on the beach or the dirt/gravel road at Nags Head woods.

thecentralscrutinizer
    Put slicks on your bike and ride some pavement.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE Racing lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

psycho cyclo addict
    I've ridden one of my geared 29er's (with Racing Ralph's) all up and down there. Two longest were 48 miler going N and 68 miler going S (took the ferry to Ocracoke Island and rode to the town even) from where I was staying in Salvo. Occasionally there have been cross winds... not fun. You pedal hard going out thinking the other direction will be a piece of cake and end up feeling like you pedaled uphill the entire time ehehehe.

The two parts I liked least were riding the Bonner Bridge and the ride from the ferry terminal @ Ocracoke to the town. Otherwise there are some cool things to see here and there (like the spaceship in Frisco). The best oyster sandwich around is just up the road in Buxton at Diamond Shoals Restaurant.

OBX Vacation - Ride Suggestions?-545576_4613324900098_566002511_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info! In Corolla I ended up riding along 12. The lady and I checked out the lighthouse and the historic village on the bikes.

I didn't ride any farther north on 12 than the lighthouse, but the truck got some 4WD time on the beaches and we saw some of the wild horses up close

I did also get to visit my folks in Kill Devil Hills and we rode with my dad through Nags Head Woods Nature Preserve, then along the streets along the sound side, north of the Wright Memorial.
    I have a black belt in MS Paint.

2013 Santa Cruz Bronson Carbon
    2013 StumpJumper FSR Comp Carbon 29er