mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Northwest NC MTB Alliance

Greetings,

Wanted to pass along some news of a new MTB Chapter that has formed, Northwest NC MTB Alliance. This group has organized quickly, and will likely be integrated into IMBA/SORBA by the new year. Individuals from Boone, Wilkesboro, Hickory, Lenoir, Marion, Morganton, and Taylorsville have helped start this, and geographically the focus is on lands within and in-between those towns.

If you live in this territory, please consider joining us at Fonta Flora Brewery in Morganton this Friday at 6pm to find out more about the chapter and meet others who are looking to advocate for more, build more, and maintain more MTB trails. We have also had some land managers, business owners, and a politician or two commit to being there. If you have any questions, direct them to nwnc.mtba@gmail.com.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    How will this new group dovetail and work with BAC? A regional wide organization such as this is needed for sure, there is a lot of new trail opportunity in county and city parks over that way.

I want to push for phase 3 at Jacob Fork Park (pump trail, small and short flowmentum trail and skills area) but have not pushed too hard due to the lack of a club to help support and take care of Phase 3 development (which I called for in the master plan).

Big Mac

Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    How will this new group dovetail and work with BAC? A regional wide organization such as this is needed for sure, there is a lot of new trail opportunity in county and city parks over that way.

I want to push for phase 3 at Jacob Fork Park (pump trail, small and short flowmentum trail and skills area) but have not pushed too hard due to the lack of a club to help support and take care of Phase 3 development (which I called for in the master plan).
    Dude, we know. You are the sh!t. You can stop tooting.

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    Please keep woody keen out of Wilson's ... You are not wanted

Big Mac

But what about flow?

zod
    Southern Fried mUni
    NEED MORE FLOW BRO......Wilson Creek sucks anyhow, why bother.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    What's that? Y'all gonna drive a bobcat down canyons and then reopen it? SWEET. Please try to make it as much like the new Kistuma as possible. Thx.

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    Bring back huckster hick park!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Glad to see someone beat me to this. I just saw it on Fonta Flora's facebook page. Looking forward to coming out.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Nice turnout last night, about 30+ from all over the region. Some great ideas being shared. Living in Valdese, the most interesting discussions were about the progress of the trails being built at Lake James, in addition to the idea of developing mountain bike-specific trails in unused land in South Mountain State Park. In attendance was the head ranger for the Grandfather district, as well as the head of the trails for state parks. If you are in or near this region of the state, please consider joining the NW Alliance. We will be incorporated into IMBA/SORBA as a chapter in December, and membership that exists prior to that will automatically be grandfathered into IMBA membership. 100% of the membership fees through November go to the Alliance.

mtbr member
    Just curious, but after November what percentage of dues will you get to keep for the local club and what percentage will go to IMBA?
    He/she who works the trails does so in their own image.

Speed just slows me down...

zod
    Southern Fried mUni
    Quote Originally Posted by foothillsbass View Post
    in addition to the idea of developing mountain bike-specific trails in unused land in South Mountain State Park
    Good god has this ever needed to happen FOREVER. So much untapped (10s of 1000s of acres) beautiful, wild terrain! That place could be a mountain bike mecca.

Quote Originally Posted by 2bfluid View Post
    Just curious, but after November what percentage of dues will you get to keep for the local club and what percentage will go to IMBA?
    If they go SORBA they will get to keep about 1/6th of their dues and SORBA takes the rest. If you just become an IMBA affiliate you pay an annual club membership (just once for the whole club) of $50 for clubs under 100 member and $100 for clubs over 100 members. Helping run a club that was once a SORBA club but is now "just" an IMBA affiliate.....the later is the way to go (just my opinion, don't get butthurt SORBA people).

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    It's 60 (IMBA) /40. This is the same as PAS, TTB, and others. here is an overview: http://www.imba.com/chapter-program. The NWNC Chapter will be merging as an existing group even though it hasn't been around long. Current IMBA members will be able to select this chapter when you renew, and those who join locally (until Dec.) will follow the same process when their renewal is up a year from their join date.

Thanks for all the interest.

thecentralscrutinizer
    [QUOTE=zod;10803771]Good god has this ever needed to happen FOREVER. So much untapped (10s of 1000s of acres) beautiful, wild terrain! That place could be a mountain bike mecca.

Hopefully the State is more receptive to having MTB trails in South Mountain than they have been in other State Parks. I agree that it would be a great location.
    2015 Kona JTS
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    SM has the potential to be epic if done correctly. I know the 17 mile gravel road grinder that you can do there right now is fun and all (if you're a masochist like Zod) but there is great terrain, and lots of it, to be tapped there for sure. Would definitely take a lot of work though, as I'm sure they'd probably want to keep bikers off of the existing hiking/horse trails if we could even get access.