mtbr member

North Carolina Weather?

I've been reading about North Carolina Raleigh for a few weeks and it seems that you have rain 12 months a year, so why do trails close in the winter? Do the summer rains dry quickly in the heat?

My wife has been looking at Cary and Apex to put the kids in a good school. I've been searching your forum and I'm sort of surprised that there is no sticky thread of "moving to NC/SC..."
    Yes, I've been using the search button.

spec4life???..smh...
    Trails in the Triangle Area close due to rain year round. With that said, it seems that due to the care that is taken to close trails if they are wet the trails dry faster and open quickly without perpetual wet spots.

Trails in the western part of the state, (boone / wilkes area is all Im familiar with) close rarely. However, this winter has been exceptionally wet leading to some trails to just shut it down for the winter as the drying is slower.

Rogue Exterminator
    Apex is a good area with a good School system.
    I have family there and that is one of the major reasons they chose that area.
    It is booming fast and in the 8 years they have lived there, it has changed a lot.

As far as trails there, I have not visited any of them yet.
    There seems to be some decent people in the area and they seem seem to like them.
    Give a few minutes, I am sure somebody will post the secret locations of the illegal ones. haha

However, the best trails are going to be here in Western NC.
    Apex is about 4 hours from here. So it is close enough to take a weekend trip or even just a long day trip.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I hope you aren't moving to North Carolina for the sake of your child's education. I'm not saying that the schools are bad. In fact, there are some very good schools here. Unfortunately, the state is doing everything it can to downgrade its quality of education. Paying their teachers less on average than 47 other states, increasing testing with little or no planning/funding, and cutting the amount of qualified teachers in the schools are dragging the state down. If you must live in NC, there are good schools and good trails, but don't come here looking for the best education for your child. I understand that this probably isn't why you're posting on this site, but I felt it appropriate to put in my 2 cents on this.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the input. Wow, I never really considered that trails might shut down year round.
    Well, I didn't want to admit to being from the Silicon Valley area in California, but I think we have been setting trends in making trails illegal and downward spiraling education systems. So it sounds like I’ll fit right in.
    Thanks for the heads up about the schools. It is the most important factor for the neighborhood that we choose near Raleigh, but my career is the biggest reason for the move. It is funny how hard it is to dig up statistics on the education systems. We found there are several very highly ranked high schools in the area, more than the area I live in San Jose. I was thinking that was a pretty good indication, would you say it isn’t?
    Is there a local Super D or downhill or do need to head over to the west side of the state for that sort of competition? My competitive days may be behind me, but it would be fun to get out and give it a shot again when I find the time.

Rogue Exterminator
    Not a whole lot of elevation change in the Raleigh/Durham araea so you will definitely find more stuff this way to do with mountain biking. If your kids are in HS, and really hard core in the sport, somebody just posted a link not to long about about how some of the near by colleges are listed as favorites for mountain biking.

Like I stated before the schools in Apex are pretty good and it is a nice community.
    From what I hear though I would stay out of Durham.

I used to live in Oakland myself and will say that you are in for one heck of a change moving to Apex. If you find yourself going through elevation withdraws hop in the car and great trails are only 3-4 hours west.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I'm a native North Carolinian (grew up in Winston-Salem and have lived in Raleigh since 1988) and agree with most everything that has been said here. Here in Raleigh we do have a good variety of trails and mostly friendly riders and yes, most of the longer, epic trails are about 4 hours away in the Asheville area. Asheville is awesome but job opportunities there are very scarce unless you're willing to wait tables.

If your kids' schools will play a role in determining where you live, my recommendation would be to look at Chapel Hill/Orange County. Real estate values are very high there, but you should be used to that if you're coming from California. Most of the kids in Chapel Hill seem to have parents with some connection to UNC-CH and are over-achievers (many Duke faculty actually live in Chapel Hill so their kids can go to schools in Orange County rather than Durham County). It's true that the teachers in NC are way underpaid but that shouldn't dissuade anyone from moving here, just pick your school district wisely.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    While NC does have rain 12 months a year, we ain't Seattle.
    Raleigh is still in the edge of the Piedmont, which means hills. A few miles east is the Coastal Plain, which means "flat as a flitter". Rocky Knob near Boone is closed for the winter. The trail near Wilkesboro, Dark Mountain, is open year round, I THINK. Also, you aren't that far from Uwharrie National Forest, which has some good trails. Wilson Creek is supposed to have some great trails. You can find all these trails by "googling".
    Here is a link to MTB in NC's national forest.
    http://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/nfsn...48112&actid=24

mtbr member
    I think I may miss riding in Santa Cruz and Tahoe, but I'm really looking forward to a new experience with new conditions and unknown trails. On to life's next adventure! I wonder if these trails will be kid friendly. My older daughter is 11 and she just got her first big girl 26" bike and the hills are pretty steep around here.
    I saved that link as a favorite. Thanks!
    It is fun to know so little about an area! I feel like a kid again.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Mellow, if you've never been to the NC beaches before, it's quite a change from Santa Cruz, no rocks, no seals, no Mavericks, our beaches are nice soft sand and and the water is WARM in the summer. Near my beach, Oak Island, Brunswick County has opened a MTB trail, even though there ain't no mountains. About 2 hours from the Raleigh metro area.
    Brunswick Nature Park Mountain Bike Trail in Leland, North Carolina || SINGLETRACKS.COM
    Also kayaking. Great fishing around Oak Island.
    If you're a surfer, Wrightsville Beach has good surf, although from Cali. might be a bit of a letdown.

mtbr member
    I was a surfer in a previous life, but I wasn't very good. Warm water and soft sand sound nice.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Moved to Cary (15 minutes from Raleigh) 4 month's ago for my wife's job from San Diego. It is not So Cal weather, but I am really liking it. Trails are different, but still fun. Lots of options from the Triangle to Virginia (anglers ridge 1.5 hr drive), too western NC.

Even with the rain, there I still lots of riding to be had. I just picked up some cold weather gear, and I go for it.

Wake County has good schools as well. I am in a newer area called Cary Park, and the schools in that area are ranked as some of the best. Panther Creek is a newer high school that is only 5 years old if that.

It is stupid cheap compared to California, and most everyone I run into is extremely nice. So nice, my first thought is what do you want? It is refreshing to meet real people.

The craft beer is exploding in NC, and what seems like a revitalzation of downtown Durham and Raleigh, but the only draw back is the ABC stores to get your booze, and food will not be what you are use too. It is changing from what I can see from my short time here.

Give it a shot, I think you will like it.
    Last edited by Oliver; 01-27-2013 at 09:00 PM. Reason: improve info

mtbr member
    Apex/Cary question (off topic – homes/parking)
    I have been looking at houses for weeks and I just realized yesterday that there are no cars in the pictures….ever. You can’t take a picture of a house in CA without a car on the street or in the drive, but the houses in NC never have a car on the street or the driveway.
    Are there city rules against parking in your driveway/street/visible from the street?
    Are these mostly HOA rules preventing this?
    Where will I park my full size 4x4 pickup/CJ/camper trailer/SUV?
    Are any of you realtors or know a good realtor that is free Friday/Saturday, Feb.22-23?
    My wife has a wish list written up and we’ll be flying out to see the area.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I think certain areas of Cary don't allow parking on the streets but I don't believe there are any neighborhoods in Cary or Apex where you can't park in your driveway (I think google steetview pictures tend to be taken during the day when people are away at work).

The realtor I always use is Stephen Votino if you want to send him an email to see if he's free. He's a great guy but he specializes more in the urban Raleigh area rather than the Cary 'burbs. Office Roster

Good luck!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mellowyellowCJ7 View Post
    Apex/Cary question (off topic – homes/parking)
    I have been looking at houses for weeks and I just realized yesterday that there are no cars in the pictures….ever. You can’t take a picture of a house in CA without a car on the street or in the drive, but the houses in NC never have a car on the street or the driveway.
    Are there city rules against parking in your driveway/street/visible from the street?
    Are these mostly HOA rules preventing this?
    Where will I park my full size 4x4 pickup/CJ/camper trailer/SUV?
    Are any of you realtors or know a good realtor that is free Friday/Saturday, Feb.22-23?
    My wife has a wish list written up and we’ll be flying out to see the area.
    I am in Cary, and there are tons of cars on the streets where I live. The joke with me and my wife, is that everyone has some much crap in their garages, there is no room for their cars.

Which is funny to us, because the houses are twice the size of what we had, and we found a way to get both cars in our garage in California.

Just go for it, my money, is that you will like it here. Hit me up when you get to NC, and we can ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Search and/or post on trianglemtb.com. Most of the Raleigh locals hang out on that board and only occasionally check out mtbr nc/sc when they have a trip to the mountains coming up. There are definitely threads on there about moving to the area.

If you target Cary and pull off something close to the Black Creek Greenway, you'll be able to ride that and access a lot of singletrack without touching a road. Make sure you search and find the greenways systems for towns you are considering and then apply that to the trails maps from trianglemtb.com and with your new work location. You'll quickly figure out what is nearby.

Cary is probably the best bike friendly town in the area, as far as wide roads and bike lanes.

HOAs in particular neighborhoods are going to drive where you can park. Most are fairly reasonable, but you'll probably have to put your camper in the garage or behind the house.

I'm a rare Raleigh native. I ended up moving to very south Wake Co to get the style of house and large lot (1 acre) we wanted in the price range we desired ($200-$250k). My 25 mile commute is around 30-40 minutes.

Uwharrie and Wilkesboro are easy day trips and you can always find people to carpool with. I've done a couple day trips to ride in Brevard and Black Mt and don't recommend that. Much better off to go ride Pisgah for a weekend than try to drive 4 hours, ride all day, and drive back.

TORC-NC.org is the local IMBA chapter and are pretty active, but all the networking happens on trianglemtb.com

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by RDU Goldfish View Post
    Search and/or post on trianglemtb.com. Most of the Raleigh locals hang out on that board and only occasionally check out mtbr nc/sc when they have a trip to the mountains coming up. There are definitely threads on there about moving to the area.

If you target Cary and pull off something close to the Black Creek Greenway, you'll be able to ride that and access a lot of singletrack without touching a road. Make sure you search and find the greenways systems for towns you are considering and then apply that to the trails maps from trianglemtb.com and with your new work location. You'll quickly figure out what is nearby.

Cary is probably the best bike friendly town in the area, as far as wide roads and bike lanes.
    Thanks! I registered on trianglemtb. I'll do some searching, then I'll start asking questions over there. I found a post already with a map of the greenways. That's pretty cool. Is the black creek greenway a single track or does it just lead to single track.
    http://trianglemtb.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=31021.0
    Heck, it looks like there's a greenway that passes right by my office! I sure hope we have showers at work!

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    I've been reading about North Carolina Raleigh for a few weeks and it seems that you have rain 12 months a year, so why do trails close in the winter? Do the summer rains dry quickly in the heat?
    Back to the OPs original comment, the plants suck up all that water in the growing seasons much faster than in winter. Someone else may have commented on that too but I didn't see it. Evaporation is greater also.

Best of luck if you do the move and come up and ride with us some in VA.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Is the black creek greenway a single track or does it just lead to single track.
    Anything called a "Greenway" in the area is going to be large wide corridor big enough to drive a truck down. Most of it is asphalt. A lot of it runs along easements and connects parks, etc.

The Black Creek Greenway terminates at the back side of Lake Crabtree County Park and an entrance to Umstead State Park. From this area, a lot of singletrack is not too far away, most of which we don't talk about on public forums.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    One note about trianglemtb, is not to judge the trails by the pictures. None of the pictures do any of the traiks justice! Site needs a big redo.

Also, lot of elevation gains to be had. They are not long sustained climbs like California, but you are always going up and down. I actually gain more elevation in NC then I did in San Diego! Also more single track than SD as well.